2017 Whyte T130-S

PB Forum :: Whyte Bikes
2017 Whyte T130-S
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 18:02 Quote
Rode the new bike for the first time at a local trail center. Lots of grip, lots of confidence, lots of fun.

FL
Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 11:48 Quote
I have the 2017 Whyte T-130S, and I've made the following upgrades and fixes:

•Fork: RCT3 Charger upgrade turned the Yari into a Lyrik
•Shock: The Monarch air shaft is destroyed, and the shock sticks down, so I temporarily have a Float X, while I'm waiting for my DVO Topaz. Note: Fox Float X and Fox X2 both fit the aluminum frame but not the carbon.
•Rim: Kept replacing the rear WTB i29 rim, until I got fed up and threw an EX511 on the rear. The WTB is fine as a front rim, but she's soft out back.
•Seatpost: Might throw a Factory Transfer on, since I have one, but I haven't has any issues with the RockShox.
•Cockpit: Enve bars and stem
•Tires: 2.5/2.4 DHF and Highroller
•Rear Hub: Pawls cracked and gouged inside of hub. New springs and pawls, and she's still running fine.

Some things I would upgrade/fix but aren't mandatory at the moment:

•Brakes: Somewhat weak, but the modulation is better than my old XTRs.
•Cranks: They're bashed to hell thanks to my shock sticking down on Captain Ahab and other trails.
•Headset: I hear you creaking, you bastard.

Overall, I love the bike and can't wait to see how the Topaz affects performance in the rock gardens that I typically ride. The US customer service is less than stellar, but I hope they're just in an awkward state prior to expansion of personnel.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 13:17 Quote
spankthewan wrote:

The US customer service is less than stellar, but I hope they're just in an awkward state prior to expansion of personnel.

- Brakes: - I highly recommend upgrading to a 200mm rotor in the front, and moving the 180 to the rear. I did this on my 2017 C-RS and it was a huge improvement in bite and modulation. Its about $60 in parts.

- Customer service: You're right on the money: they are stretched a little thin at the moment, with a big upgrade underway to the facility and staff. They're building it out into a proper destination: full service bike shop and demo center, with food, beer, factory showroom, mechanics, group events, etc. Just give them a call, they DO want to make sure you're taken care of!

Source: live in the same town as WhyteUSA. Bought a pint of beer when I went in to get a new Vigilante.

FL
Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 22:39 Quote
I'm sure I have the parts on hand and didn’t even think to throw bigger rotors on. Will do, and thanks for the info! I’m rooting for them because the bikes are dope and reasonably priced, and the Whyte reps are always very friendly and helpful when available.

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 9:28 Quote
SenorMartillo wrote:
- Brakes: - I highly recommend upgrading to a 200mm rotor in the front, and moving the 180 to the rear. I did this on my 2017 C-RS and it was a huge improvement in bite and modulation. Its about $60 in parts.

Was thinking of doing the same. Did you stay with a 200mm SRAM rotor? Or mix the original front on the rear and a different brand/model for the front? Reason I ask is I have an extra new Shimano Ice Tech I could throw into the mix to do the same on my T-130. I guess I could just as easily get another Ice Tech... not like they cost much.

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2018 at 8:15 Quote
fredcook wrote:
SenorMartillo wrote:

Was thinking of doing the same. Did you stay with a 200mm SRAM rotor? Or mix the original front on the rear and a different brand/model for the front? Reason I ask is I have an extra new Shimano Ice Tech I could throw into the mix to do the same on my T-130. I guess I could just as easily get another Ice Tech... not like they cost much.

Just an update if anyone is interested... I did swap the SRAM rotors with Shimano's Ice Tech rotors. Didn't work well. The brake surface alignment between the SRAM calipers and the Ice Tech rotors was off. Spent some time shimming, etc., to try to align the fit better. Wound up going though a set of pads in just a few rides. So, I just replaced the whole brake setup with XT/M8000's (levers, hoses, calipers, and new Ice tech disks). Easy enough. The only hard part... The internal cable routing grommets on the T-130 are really tight, and do an awesome job sealing the frame. Getting the original SRAM hose out was easy, but feeding the new XT thicker hose back through is slow going if you don't want to tear up the grommets. I did attach a pull string to the old cable as I pulled it out, and used the pull string to thread the new hose. I wound up using silicon lubricant at the grommet holes to help the newer thicker feed though.

I decided to go with a 180 mm rotor front and rear, and now have more stopping power than I'll probably ever need.

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 15:00 Quote
Will the Float X fit the Aluminium frame on 2015 model?
spankthewan wrote:
I have the 2017 Whyte T-130S, and I've made the following upgrades and fixes:

•Fork: RCT3 Charger upgrade turned the Yari into a Lyrik
•Shock: The Monarch air shaft is destroyed, and the shock sticks down, so I temporarily have a Float X, while I'm waiting for my DVO Topaz. Note: Fox Float X and Fox X2 both fit the aluminum frame but not the carbon.
•Rim: Kept replacing the rear WTB i29 rim, until I got fed up and threw an EX511 on the rear. The WTB is fine as a front rim, but she's soft out back.
•Seatpost: Might throw a Factory Transfer on, since I have one, but I haven't has any issues with the RockShox.
•Cockpit: Enve bars and stem
•Tires: 2.5/2.4 DHF and Highroller
•Rear Hub: Pawls cracked and gouged inside of hub. New springs and pawls, and she's still running fine.

Some things I would upgrade/fix but aren't mandatory at the moment:

•Cranks: They're bashed to hell thanks to my shock sticking down on Captain Ahab and other trails.
•Headset: I hear you creaking, you bastard.

Overall, I love the bike and can't wait to see how the Topaz affects performance in the rock gardens that I typically ride. The US customer service is less than stellar, but I hope they're just in an awkward state prior to expansion of personnel.

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 3:51 Quote
I have the white 130 love the bike
Xt shifter and brakes dhr,dhf
Icetech rotors 203 front 200 rear raceface vault hubs and turbine rims. I got the bike used so I am unfamiliar with the original spec

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013037
Mobile Version of Website