Hightower with 150mm fork and 29" wheels

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Hightower with 150mm fork and 29" wheels
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 13, 2016 at 19:44 Quote
Hey all.

I'm interested in the SC Hightower but as I understand it, if you purchase the 27.5+ set up you get a 150mm for but in the 29'er set up you get 140mm. Has anybody ever run 29" wheels with the 150mm fork? Am I right in thinking that it would make the head tube angle even more slack?

I read a review somewhere that said that this was actually the preferred set up at the factory??

EDIT: Here's the review - http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-santa-cruz-santa-cruz-hightower-50132/

Here's the comment - I would have preferred that Santa Cruz just sold the Hightower with a 150mm fork. Not only would this have made the 27.5+ conversion easier, it’s also the preferred setup of many Santa Cruz employees

Thanks for the help!

Posted: Oct 15, 2016 at 4:41 Quote
nacnac3 wrote:
Hey all.

I'm interested in the SC Hightower but as I understand it, if you purchase the 27.5+ set up you get a 150mm for but in the 29'er set up you get 140mm. Has anybody ever run 29" wheels with the 150mm fork? Am I right in thinking that it would make the head tube angle even more slack?

I read a review somewhere that said that this was actually the preferred set up at the factory??

EDIT: Here's the review - http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-santa-cruz-santa-cruz-hightower-50132/

Here's the comment - I would have preferred that Santa Cruz just sold the Hightower with a 150mm fork. Not only would this have made the 27.5+ conversion easier, it’s also the preferred setup of many Santa Cruz employees

Thanks for the help!

I have owned my hightower for about 5 months now and done quite a lot of varied riding on the 135 rear and 140 front. Personally I love it as it is. I have seen some people stick 160mm on the front! I had always thought I would possibly change at some point to a 150mm up front as I like a bit of slackness and thought that once things got steep, techy and fast that 140mm may not feel enough. I would go test ride one in a standard setting... I had no intention of changing bikes this year before I tried the Hightower... 1 hour into the demo I was sold... Before this I had ridden a 150mm heckler... I have friends, who also have nomads, Yeti sb6 etc and they all say when they ride my bike... Feels like it has more travel, but rolls fast.

Test ride and decide...... 150mm up front only slacks it to 66.7 ish I think? Sure someone will correct me ; )

Ps... Thats 1 review... Lots of other reviews love the set up and balance as it is.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 13:12 Quote
I have a Hightower. I built it with a slightly used frame and bought take off 29 wheels and a 150 fork. I rode it for a month prior using an old 140 pike and non-boosted front and it was great. The 150 fork is better, but more slack for sure. I prefer it, but it is going to come down to personal preference.
2016 Santa Cruz Hightower Red with Team America Blue accents

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 2:02 Quote
it will be good, bryceland has 160mm forks with 29" wheels

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 4:55 Quote
Can you use an Angleset with these?

65 HA with a 150mm fork would be my ideal bike, WB would be nearer to 1300 then too on an XXL.....

FL
Posted: May 2, 2017 at 5:50 Quote
Offsetbushings.com is what you are after

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 8:13 Quote
What will that do?

Edit - just read it. So a 150mm fork will increase BB and slacken HA - offset bushings will then slacken HA even more and drop BB lower (but drop reach). Won't an angleset increase reach slightly as it drops the front of the bike?

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 12:35 Quote
Actually decided to stick with 140mm front. Works really all round and no Alps trip this year, so no need for massive travel.

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 11:37 Quote
I run 160mm up front with the chip on low

Posted: Oct 1, 2017 at 16:05 Quote
Smitty2661 wrote:
I run 160mm up front with the chip on low

Do you get a higher BB and are you on an XL 29"?
Tire size?

Posted: Oct 8, 2017 at 20:18 Quote
I recently bought a 27.5 + 2018 Hightower size XXL and bought separate 29 wheels. I left the chip as is and i do notice less pedal strikes as an added bonus. So i assume the BB height is higher. I hope that helps as i had the same question.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 8:43 Quote
I’m running a Fox 36 160mm for both the 27.5+ and the 29” and I love it. We have big climbs here in SW Colorado and I don’t find the slack headtube angle to be a problem at all.

The Hightower has integrated headset so you can not use an angleset headset or the offset bearings as far as I know.

Posted: Oct 22, 2017 at 17:29 Quote
The C frame XE+ kit (XT) buying 29er reserve 25mm is the same price than CC X01 kit. The weight Will be closer with reserve whells and C frame comparing CC x01 kit. and you can run with bolth. What do you thing about this? I dont know if 150mm 29er Will be good to climb.

Posted: Oct 22, 2017 at 21:47 Quote
when i put the 29 tires on my Hightower bike it climbs awesome. I do notice that the the front wheel does come off the ground when climbing but if i flip the switch it would eliminate the issue. I am too lazy to do that and i like how the bottom bracket is higher thus reducing pedal strikes. Just buy the bike and enjoy it. The bike climbs like a mountain goat with 27.5+ or the 29 tires.

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 13:02 Quote
And how tall are you? I am 6' 31 and i am um the limit betwen Xl and Xxl

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016452
Mobile Version of Website