XC tire recommendations

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 20:17 Quote
I've got an old XC bike, niner air 9 with reba RL that I've been running Kenda Small Block's on and have been very happy with them. Its time for new tires and saw that Schwalbe hs a new tire thats got a similar tread. I'm likely going to get another set of kenda small blocks because they match up well with the local trail I mostly ride that bike on but figured I'd see what tires people recommended for a trail that is mostly smooth hardpack with a little bit of loose sand. I think the width I was using was 2.1" and the frame wont' go much wider.

Also I have a YT jeffsy with 2.5" onza ibex tires that I ride on more technical trails so this bike really only gets used on smoother XC trails.

FL
Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 21:45 Quote
I'm a fan of Maxxis Ikons for XC. They have a somewhat similar tread pattern to the small blocks but I think Maxxis uses a better rubber compound (Maxxspeed I think it's called). Also, in my experience, they seal up tubeless far more easily and are lighter for the same amount of flat protection.

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 21:51 Quote
I do like the look of that tread pattern, quite a bit more expensive but the better rubber might be worth it.

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 21:53 Quote
I've also ridden the schwalbe rocket ron which I liked, but not enough to pay the extra over the small blocks

Posted: Oct 17, 2016 at 14:45 Quote
I'm running the Rocket Ron in the Pacestar compound. I really like them so far. They are far lighter and roll faster than the S-Works Ground Control/Fast Trak combo I came from. Grip is pretty much on par. You can find them at pretty reasonable prices in the UK or mainland Europe.

The SB8 isn't that "fast" of a tire despite being an XC tire.

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 8:30 Quote
I Ride the new Bontrager XR1 tubeless for hardpack trails. Its fantastic. Great rolling, predictable corner traction. The Tubeless versions are a great weight. My favorite tire by far.
I ride the 2.2 width at about 22 - 24 psi i'm 165lbs

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009422
Mobile Version of Website