Saint vs guide rsc

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Saint vs guide rsc
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 14:35 Quote
I want to buy a set of new brakes for enduro and light dh use.
Saints seem to be amazing from a lot of reviews i read.
I found, for the same price, a pair of the new 2017 guide rsc with the S4 caliper.

What would you buy?

I am really tempted for the guides, cause it seems they provide better modulation than the saints, but i am a bit concerned of the issues that read in multiple forums (sticky lever) and the reliability.

Cheers!

Mod Plus
Posted: Oct 24, 2016 at 18:22 Quote
Saint brakes are a worthy option, especially on a DH bike where they're powerful enough to bring even the biggest riders to a stop, but if I had to choose I'd pick the Guide RSC brakes due to their excellent modulation and adjustability. There have been rumblings about the sticky lever issue you mentioned, but for what it's worth I haven't had any issues with the multiple sets of Guide brakes I've tested, and I'd still recommend them over the Saints.

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 at 22:02 Quote
Sticky levers and pistons are def a big deal. My buddy is in the process of warrantying his second set within 3 months of normal use. I guess when they work, they're petty decent. I'd still choose saints

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 11:39 Quote
To be honest I just watched a bike check with Steve Peat showing his "Spitfire" bike for his last worlds and he runs a Saint on the back and an XTR on the front because he feels like the Saint is actually too powerful/bitey...

To my mind that would suggest that Saints are overkill for a "Downduro" bike...
I also really like the feel of Sram brakes so I'd go for the Guides.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 12:03 Quote
I consider myself a Downduro rider.

I have Saint M820 on my Yeti SB5 and I'm very pleased with'em. IMHO, there's no such thing as "overkill" braking power.
Saints deliver when it counts! Modulation is not the best ever, but still great. Power is stunning.

Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 14:27 Quote
I have guide levers with code callipers not issue there massive brake power with perfect modulation

Posted: Nov 18, 2016 at 10:38 Quote
Saint no question...by a lightyear. Or, if you want the exact same performance, and can live without reach adjust, just get Zee brakes...same thing, way cheaper.

The SRAM four-piston brakes are more comparable to Shimano's "trail" twin-piston brakes (M785, M988 ). They don't come close to the power of Shimano's four piston brakes. In terms of modulation, they are pretty close. Guides have one personality, i.e. they work consistently no matter how you set them up. The Shimanos are very sensitive to how you set them up - you can have hair trigger on/off brakes or you can have extremely linear modulation depending. That's one of their best attributes if you ask me.

Posted: Nov 18, 2016 at 11:08 Quote
I used to have saints on my DH bike and they were the best brake i've ever ran(excluding magura) until i got some guide ultimates. I've only ridden the guide ultimates and love them, I would say the guides for downduro though.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017275
Mobile Version of Website