Protection on a budget

PB Forum :: Downhill
Protection on a budget
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 15:25 Quote
Getting into dh with a small budget.

ny good protection for a beginner?

Helmet/goggle, knee pads and anything else that would be reccomended.

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 16:35 Quote
RockyFlatline wrote:
Getting into dh with a small budget.

ny good protection for a beginner?

Helmet/goggle, knee pads and anything else that would be reccomended.

What is your idea of a small budget? I've cracked a decent helmet in a big crash so for me I want to stack as many odds in my favour as I can.I can see the attraction of going cheap in a helmet for those that want to sacrifice a limp in later life with recognition of family etc but it's not for me:P.
If anything, a beginner should be kitted better than a pro as they are likely to crash more often although I accept that the speeds involved will be lower.

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 16:49 Quote
Make sure the gear fits.

An inexpensive helmet that fits well will provide better protection than an expensive helmet that's the wrong size.

Last weekend, I saw some guy on the side of the trail with bloody knees as his pads slipped down to his shins. If pads are moving around when riding, what do you think will happen in a fall?

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 16:59 Quote
As a real beginner, going really slow, you won´t need anything great.
But speeds increase and you will have to buy twice.
However as was said already it´s your head and your health. Don´t be cheap on those things.
Maybe save a little longer for a good helmet or just explain to your parents (if you´re younger) how important it is to buy a good helmet.
Helmets that can be recommended: Giro Cipher or Giro Disciple, IXS XACT, Fox Rampage.

As for protection. I´d really recommend to get the POC back protector and combine that one with the IXS Flow ellbow protectors. This combination is incredibly comfy, it is light and it breathes much better than a full jacket. You don´t really need the shoulder cups of a jacket since they offer nearly no protection anyways and it´s also way cheaper.
Also, the POC protector is top class protection and i´d always look for good back protection before anything else.
The IXS ellbow guards are super comfortable and don´t slip. They also breath very well.
Most importantly, both can be bought for relatively small money.

For knee guards, there´s a plethora of options out there. Just look for some winter sale offerings.

Posted: Oct 19, 2016 at 14:28 Quote
i meant good but not the most expensive thing on earth

Posted: Oct 19, 2016 at 16:58 Quote
There´s really a lot of quality equipment available. Just make sure to look out for the appropriate certifications.
For example Level 2 certification for back protectors, DH-standard for helmets.
Also knee guards should be Level 2 certified as they take the biggest hits most of the time (so no flimsy "enduro" kneeguards).

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009750
Mobile Version of Website