Saint vs guide rsc vs hope e4

PB Forum :: Downhill
Saint vs guide rsc vs hope e4
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 20, 2016 at 3:27 Quote
I want to buy a set of new brakes for dh use (normal rider, not too fast, nor too slow).
Fairly light at 180lb.

Hope tech3 e4 seem to be amazing from a lot of reviews i read.
Saints also great, but with less modulation (on/off) and maybe some incosistency (brake fade)
The new 2017 guide rsc with the S4 caliper, should be like the ultimates performancewise.

What would you buy?
I am interested mostly on reliability and consistency (brake fade), but also in adequate braking power with modulation.

Cheers!

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 at 6:15 Quote
Saints don't fade, they just need regular fluid changes. A recent well bled set of saints will have a solid lever and no fade.

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 at 7:16 Quote
I've been a massive Shimano fanboy for a long time but have gradually become more and more frustrated with their brakes recently.

My 785's never felt right; powerful but always mushy despite being returned under warranty. My Zees were pretty good but did suffer from inconsistent lever feel and my XTR Trail brakes were a total pain in the bum and needed constant bleeding etc. What I will say is that my Deore 615's were brilliant.

I ended up swapping to Guide RSC's on both bikes (trail bike and DH bike) and have been really pleased with them so far - they're plenty powerful enough with a good lever feel. Running SRAM drivetrain / Reverb means that the integration is really good.

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 at 10:36 Quote
How about the V4s instead of E4s ? Price is the same, and if ordered with a standard hose, the V4s are like 15gr heavier (total). Better power, same ergonomics, ... Just better Smile

I would definitely go for the Hope V4. Most reliable of the 3, super easy to service, very good modulation. Then my 2nd choice would be the Guide RSC, for the lever feel and overall power. Last the Saints, because of the really poor reliability in recent years with Shimano brakes ...

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 at 10:58 Quote
bringing the money factor in play:

e4 - no rotors -> 270€ + 80 for rotors
saints - no rotors -> come at 240€ + 80 for rotors rt86
guide rsc with s4 caliper come at 270€ (no rotors, cause i'll use the hs1 i have with my codes)
v4 - no rotors -> 320€ + 80 for rotors

v4 with rotors go above my budget.

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 at 11:14 Quote
Use the rotors you already have, the HS1 will work with the Saints, Guide, E4 and V4 (unless you absolutely want rotors that match the brand ^^)

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 at 11:43 Quote
Last season I rode Saints and absolutely loved them no fading even on epic long descends with the factory metallic/finned pads and Ice-Tech rotors. I ran them with different rotors at the beginning but when I changed them to Ice-Tech I never looked back. They are oerfect one finger brakes and never had any problems with their modulation they never felt on/off to me.
This year my new bike came with Guide RS and I gave them a chance because of the glowing reviews and I like their look but they just didn't work as well and didn't have the feel and power of the Saints. They came with organic pads which lasted couple of months and after them I tried metallic and uberbike's race matrix pads but still wasn't happy. On long descends the bite point was changing and I never knew what to expect when I pull the levers again. I replaced the brake fluid but no change in performance so it was time for the Saint's again - luckily I kept them. Now the Guides are on my XC bike but I will only put them back on my enduro when it will be time to sell it.

Posted: Oct 21, 2016 at 1:31 Quote
is the rsc 2017 with the s4 caliper, much better than the old model?

Posted: Oct 21, 2016 at 4:31 Quote
I have front and rear 200 mm avid hs1 rotors in a tues 2.0 al frame and want to keep these in order to save some money.
According to this :

1.for the Marzocchi 888 rc3 fork no mount is needed, so all perfect

2.for the rear, I have this cps mount in my code caliper

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/avid-disc-60mm-is-adaptor-fits-200mm-rear-rotors

Unfortunately as I can see in the table, there is no hope mount for IS to 200mm.
Will the cps mount fit or do i have to buy new mounts and/or rotor?

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 4:35 Quote
Saints all the way. Super easy to bleed, lots and lots of power, no fade, true one-finger brake, contact point not as pronounced as avid but works fine when bled properly.

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 6:53 Quote
I've used all three, well V4 instead of E4.

Don't bother with guides. Inconsistent lever feel. Lots of modulation but no bite.

I don't think there's much between the Saints or V4's. Both are true one finger braking, great modulation with the ability to lock up under my 15 stone of weight. The lever feel is different - obviously that comes down to personal preference. I find Hope's easier to bleed.

Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 2:51 Quote
I found saints and RSC's to be very close power wise but preferred the modulation of guides. Am currently fitting v4's so am eager to see the performance.

Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 4:44 Quote
I just took my Guides off and replaced them with XTs. Won't go to the park until next year, but so far so good on trails with some short descents (as you'd expect).

Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 13:29 Quote
Got guides RCS with Avid code callipers and Uberbike matrix brakepads. Loads of power since there is alot more space for fluid in the code calliper and my guids dont feel squishy or fade in whatever conditions or downhill ride time. My friend uses hope E4 very solid brake u pay for what u get. ZEE are the ultimate stoppers for the money u spend i dont think there is a brake with that mutch power for the money the only downside in my eyes is the modulation. Well thats my 2 cents

Posted: Nov 18, 2016 at 6:43 Quote
Dickiescbb wrote:
Got guides RCS with Avid code callipers and Uberbike matrix brakepads. Loads of power since there is alot more space for fluid in the code calliper and my guids dont feel squishy or fade in whatever conditions or downhill ride time. My friend uses hope E4 very solid brake u pay for what u get. ZEE are the ultimate stoppers for the money u spend i dont think there is a brake with that mutch power for the money the only downside in my eyes is the modulation. Well thats my 2 cents

Good advice - for the budget option, Zee would be my choice without a second thought

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023932
Mobile Version of Website