Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 0:50 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
literally cannot find any wheels. They only sell 12x135QR or 12x142. Facepalm

.. am i searching for the wrong thing or are they really obsolete now ???? Very confused

You get convertion kits from DT Swiss for the 240s

Spank also offers 135x12mm

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 1:25 Quote
Most hubs are convertible from qr to 10 to 12mm. Also 142mm just have different end caps so are also usually able to come back to 135

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 4:53 Quote
bigquotesAlso 142mm just have different end caps so are also usually able to come back to 135

Yup that's why i mentioned that on previous page a lot of the 12x142mm wheels are marked as 135/142 like they are the same thing then you have 150 etc for boost. That's what is confusing !! Facepalm So all 142 hubs are actually just 135 with different end caps ?

Like this hope wheel would fit ? When buying you would select 135/142 option or would they be seperate again ??
photo

Edit - "Rear wheels supplied with 135 x QR and 142 x 12mm conversions" -- What does the x QR part mean ?? so its 135 AND QR ??? wtf size is QR then ?!

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 8:01 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
bigquotesAlso 142mm just have different end caps so are also usually able to come back to 135

Yup that's why i mentioned that on previous page a lot of the 12x142mm wheels are marked as 135/142 like they are the same thing then you have 150 etc for boost. That's what is confusing !! Facepalm So all 142 hubs are actually just 135 with different end caps ?

Like this hope wheel would fit ? When buying you would select 135/142 option or would they be seperate again ??
photo

Edit - "Rear wheels supplied with 135 x QR and 142 x 12mm conversions" -- What does the x QR part mean ?? so its 135 AND QR ??? wtf size is QR then ?!

as far as i know, qr135 and 12x142 use the same spacing. All you need is new endcaps. QR is "quick Release" Up until boost 141 (for quick release) was put out. all quick release frames wee 135mm spacing, but utilizing the quick release axle. (If i'm wrong someone please correct me!) Those hope wheels say that its convertible from 1350,142 and 150 because it comes with the endcaps needed to convert them to a different hub spacing and axle size. Im willing to bet that when you get that wheelset, it ships with a baggie of different hub endcaps. If not you probably have to look on spank's website to see which end caps you'll need to get.
photo

It seems to ship with the end caps needed to put it to 12x142 or quick release 135. You will have to find the 12x135 hub cap kit from hope. It should be something like this
https://r2-bike.com/Hope-umristkit-pro-2-Evo-12-x-135-mm-maxle_1

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 9:14 Quote
So as long as you buy a hope hub that’s either 135 or 142mm you will be able to fit their 135x12mm

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
Rolleyes you guys just made something confusing.. even more confusing...

Note - The hope wheel was just for an example.

So what im understanding is you CAN'T just buy a 12x142mm wheel because it doesn't come with the correct endcaps right ? (Why don't they all include multiple end caps ? seem's a bit dumb from a design perspective.. why not have 135 as standard and then have end caps for 142/148/150 etc included) Dead Horse

Currently on superstarcomponent site wheel builder (to try and make sense of all this) they show all this.
photo

So i'd pick the 135*12mm adaptor

And then select shimano 11-speed ??? which is the regular HG (hyperglide) hub ? Will it fit the sram pg-1030 cassette (10-speed) that originally came on the bike ?
photo

If that's correct then it will finally make sense lol. but really why did they ruin it by adding 7mm... ????!?!?! Facepalm the axle is the same F****n width !!!

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 11:18 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
Rolleyes you guys just made something confusing.. even more confusing...

Note - The hope wheel was just for an example.

So what im understanding is you CAN'T just buy a 12x142mm wheel because it doesn't come with the correct endcaps right ? (Why don't they all include multiple end caps ? seem's a bit dumb from a design perspective.. why not have 135 as standard and then have end caps for 142/148/150 etc included) Dead Horse

Currently on superstarcomponent site wheel builder (to try and make sense of all this) they show all this.
photo

So i'd pick the 135*12mm adaptor

And then select shimano 11-speed ??? which is the regular HG (hyperglide) hub ? Will it fit the sram pg-1030 cassette (10-speed) that originally came on the bike ?
photo

If that's correct then it will finally make sense lol. but really why did they ruin it by adding 7mm... ????!?!?! Facepalm the axle is the same F****n width !!!

They probably don't include all the endcaps just cuz then you'd be sitting there with a pile of endless endcaps. My raceface wheels came with pretty much every conceivable axle combinations, and when I switched to the 10x135 endcaps, i was sorting through a massive pile of identical looking endcaps.

Regarding your question. You CAN buy a 12x142 wheel. All you need are the 12x135mm endcaps.

Now on the topic of the freehub body's as far as I know. most if not all 10spd cassettes will fit on the standard 10/11spd shimano freehub body (the 11spd listed option) Your cassette will more than likely fit the 11spd freehub body listed on that site. Should there be a bit of wobble. all you need is a thin freehub spacer and it'll all be good.

On the topic about the 7mm difference (i think you're refering to the 135mm compared to the 142mm spacing? I'm pretty sure most of the industry at that time was using 142mm spacing out back. but for the demo 8, specialized went to the 12x135 (per the gravity team request i believe) cuz it was narrower and wouldn't get caught on rocks and tight sections compared to the 150mm traditional spacing on dh bikes. But yeah. fair point on the axle diameter. I'd like to eventually see at least a 15mm diameter axle in the future.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 12:27 Quote
Smile Ahhh.. now it makes sense. thanks for explaining everyone. Beer

That spacer thing you mentioned (shimano 11-speed). Is that the same spacer's that goes between the sprockets on a cassette or completely different ? (thinner?)

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
Smile Ahhh.. now it makes sense. thanks for explaining everyone. Beer

That spacer thing you mentioned (shimano 11-speed). Is that the same spacer's that goes between the sprockets on a cassette or completely different ? (thinner?)

should there be a wobble the spacer would go behind the biggest cog you have on that cassette.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 5:31 Quote
Eek New question !!

Have any of you swapped the front chainring for something smaller, if so do you know how much of a difference it makes ?

Im thinking about going back to the standard 7-speed setup (25T rear) (Better for chainline/chain wear/etc) but a 36T front chain ring is a bit too hard to pedal. (Getting old.. Rolleyes )

Does dropping to a 30/32/34 chainring, make it feel like you have a bigger sprocket at the back ? (equivilent to having like a 28 or 32 tooth at back?).

I find that when using a 10-speed cassette (11-36) and a 36T chainring i ride mostly in 2nd or 3rd gear ( 32/28 ) First gear is rarely used.
Is it possible to lose some sprockets and have a similar experience just by changing the chainring ? Beer suggestions please.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
Eek New question !!

Have any of you swapped the front chainring for something smaller, if so do you know how much of a difference it makes ?

Im thinking about going back to the standard 7-speed setup (25T rear) (Better for chainline/chain wear/etc) but a 36T front chain ring is a bit too hard to pedal. (Getting old.. Rolleyes )

Does dropping to a 30/32/34 chainring, make it feel like you have a bigger sprocket at the back ? (equivilent to having like a 28 or 32 tooth at back?).

I find that when using a 10-speed cassette (11-36) and a 36T chainring i ride mostly in 2nd or 3rd gear ( 32/28 ) First gear is rarely used.
Is it possible to lose some sprockets and have a similar experience just by changing the chainring ? Beer suggestions please.

What kind of riding do you do that the 36T is too hard?

Find a solution that suits you with a strait chainline in you favorite riding

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:23 Quote
I've run a 32t ring on my Wilson before. It actually works decently for pedally tracks. that you can't carry as much as others. Some of the older tues's come with 34tooth rings too. I more than often use a 36 ring. But once upon a time i had a 11-19 7spd cassette and thats when i used the 32t ring.

My current setup is a 36t ring and a 11-25 7spd in the back. the 25 is literally only used for parking lot jibs and wheelies.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 13:11 Quote
bigquotesWhat kind of riding do you do that the 36T is too hard?
Eek some of the trails here have some uphill sections with roots and sometimes not able to carry enough speed to clear em.

Guess you guys lucked out and have nice trails dedicated for DH but around here its all hilly and horrible. Razz still waiting for a true answer. Book

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 13:27 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
bigquotesWhat kind of riding do you do that the 36T is too hard?
Eek some of the trails here have some uphill sections with roots and sometimes not able to carry enough speed to clear em.

Guess you guys lucked out and have nice trails dedicated for DH but around here its all hilly and horrible. Razz still waiting for a true answer. Book

I would try a 34 first. You loose a ton of top end speed with the 32. It does feel like you have more range in the rear., also cheaper than getting a new cassette.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011827
Mobile Version of Website