Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Author Message
Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 14:50 Quote
I was hoping someone could help me with a slight problem. My son has a Demo 8 II which I believe is a 2017. It has the Ohlins rear shock and a Rock Shot BoXXer front fork. Back in July we ordered a custom rear wheel from Industry 9. It finally arrived earlier today. When I ordered it I went over the specs of the bike based off the what is on the Specialized website. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/demo-8-ii-alloy/p/115512?color=208514-115512 According to this he has an XD drive and a SRAM 11T-36T PG-1030 cassette. When we removed the cassette off the stock Roval wheel it did not have a XD drive. Also I can't find anywhere that shows the PG-1030 was ever compatible with the XD drive. He said he needs a 10 speed cassette otherwise he would need a new shifter and I can't seem to find one compatible with an XD drive. Is this a misprint on the part of Specialized. He had never taken the cassette off otherwise he would have known it did not have an XD drive. What are my options here? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

James

Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 15:04 Quote
kngelv wrote:
I was hoping someone could help me with a slight problem. My son has a Demo 8 II which I believe is a 2017. It has the Ohlins rear shock and a Rock Shot BoXXer front fork. Back in July we ordered a custom rear wheel from Industry 9. It finally arrived earlier today. When I ordered it I went over the specs of the bike based off the what is on the Specialized website. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/demo-8-ii-alloy/p/115512?color=208514-115512 According to this he has an XD drive and a SRAM 11T-36T PG-1030 cassette. When we removed the cassette off the stock Roval wheel it did not have a XD drive. Also I can't find anywhere that shows the PG-1030 was ever compatible with the XD drive. He said he needs a 10 speed cassette otherwise he would need a new shifter and I can't seem to find one compatible with an XD drive. Is this a misprint on the part of Specialized. He had never taken the cassette off otherwise he would have known it did not have an XD drive. What are my options here? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

James

Definitly a typo on the website since the 1030 cassette is using a Shimano HG not XD driver body,the sram DH cassette for XD driver is the XG-795 model that is a 7 speed. You could go 7 speed with that 10 speed cassette just remove 3 cogs,add spacers & adjust the B-tension screw on the rear mech that it will shift 7 speed. I did it with mine with a Titanium cassette on a 10 speed GX derailleur & 10 speed shifter and it worked pretty good with no issue's.


Posted: Dec 25, 2021 at 3:34 Quote
fantaman wrote:
kngelv wrote:
I was hoping someone could help me with a slight problem. My son has a Demo 8 II which I believe is a 2017. It has the Ohlins rear shock and a Rock Shot BoXXer front fork. Back in July we ordered a custom rear wheel from Industry 9. It finally arrived earlier today. When I ordered it I went over the specs of the bike based off the what is on the Specialized website. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/demo-8-ii-alloy/p/115512?color=208514-115512 According to this he has an XD drive and a SRAM 11T-36T PG-1030 cassette. When we removed the cassette off the stock Roval wheel it did not have a XD drive. Also I can't find anywhere that shows the PG-1030 was ever compatible with the XD drive. He said he needs a 10 speed cassette otherwise he would need a new shifter and I can't seem to find one compatible with an XD drive. Is this a misprint on the part of Specialized. He had never taken the cassette off otherwise he would have known it did not have an XD drive. What are my options here? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

James

Definitly a typo on the website since the 1030 cassette is using a Shimano HG not XD driver body,the sram DH cassette for XD driver is the XG-795 model that is a 7 speed. You could go 7 speed with that 10 speed cassette just remove 3 cogs,add spacers & adjust the B-tension screw on the rear mech that it will shift 7 speed. I did it with mine with a Titanium cassette on a 10 speed GX derailleur & 10 speed shifter and it worked pretty good with no issue's.



Will that cause an issue because he has a 10 speed X9 shifter? Would he need a different one. He also has a Stumpjumper but usually rides the Demo 8 on regular trails and around town. It's his main bike for riding around with his friends. He even rides it at Rays MTB in Cleveland and on local pump tracks etc. I guess I'm just wondering if going to an 11 speed cassette and shifter might be better for his uses. We are outside of Detroit so the bike is only used for true downhill 4-5 times a year mainly during the summer. He's 15 btw. We got it used last year for a really good price.

James

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 17:42 Quote
Any difference between the aluminum and carbon demo's? 2017/2018 27.5 wheeler. How much weight difference? How much more flex? Any real time riders have experience between the two? Just know there is a pretty price change from aluminum to carbon.thanxz!

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 7:18 Quote
The carbon ones all crack

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 7:32 Quote
mmoon wrote:
The carbon ones all crack

Mine has been going good for almost 7 years.

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 9:35 Quote
bigquotesWill that cause an issue because he has a 10 speed X9 shifter? Would he need a different one. He also has a Stumpjumper but usually rides the Demo 8 on regular trails and around town. It's his main bike for riding around with his friends. He even rides it at Rays MTB in Cleveland and on local pump tracks etc. I guess I'm just wondering if going to an 11 speed cassette and shifter might be better for his uses. We are outside of Detroit so the bike is only used for true downhill 4-5 times a year mainly during the summer. He's 15 btw. We got it used last year for a really good price.

You can use any 7-10 speed shifter on any 7-10 range cassette (7 cogs with spacer or 10 cogs)

You can also use an 11 speed drivetrain, but keep in mind when pedalling backwards in the bigger sprockets (usually 1st and/or 2nd gear) there is a chance for the chain to drop down because of the chain line on 2015-2019 demo's. (Confirmed this is not an issue with 2020 --> )

But you won't get any issue's pedalling normally (Just a bit of chain rub if you are using an upper chain guide using the biggest sprocket)

Alternatively you could run a 7-speed setup and just buy a new front chainring (If he is using the default 36t) dropping to a 30t will make it a good all round bike without having to buy more components. (Kill's the top end speed a little but you will be able to accelerate faster and be able to ride up most hill's.

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
mmoon wrote:
The carbon ones all crack

Bulls*it.

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
dh-corn wrote:
mmoon wrote:
The carbon ones all crack

Bulls*it.

Yes even at world cup DH level guys like Bruni,Finn never crack their carbon Demo's.

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 17:06 Quote
Brasher wrote:
aesp wrote:
What do you think?

Same spot both mine cracked, and bigburd aswell. Sorry to say that frame is ready for the bin.

Always on the non drive side.

It's a carbon layup issue. Not enough thickness in that area of the BB junction. I had mine ultrasounded and the carbon in that particular area was 0.4mm thick where it should be 3-4mm.

Good news is specialized warranty is the best I've ever seen.

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 17:07 Quote
bigburd wrote:
This is where mine went, happened to a few others too


Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 17:41 Quote
various online sites specify 40 pounds aluminum
carbon 35 pounds.

Posted: Dec 31, 2021 at 6:32 Quote
mmoon wrote:
Brasher wrote:
aesp wrote:
What do you think?

Same spot both mine cracked, and bigburd aswell. Sorry to say that frame is ready for the bin.

Always on the non drive side.

It's a carbon layup issue. Not enough thickness in that area of the BB junction. I had mine ultrasounded and the carbon in that particular area was 0.4mm thick where it should be 3-4mm.

Good news is specialized warranty is the best I've ever seen.

I would not ride that, seen way to many of these bikes with cracks in the same place, even seen pics of the whole BB area beaking away.
My 3rd replacement from them has lasted 3 years mostly because of lockdown and bikeparks being shut and only riding my local.

Posted: Dec 31, 2021 at 8:22 Quote
fantaman wrote:
dh-corn wrote:
mmoon wrote:
The carbon ones all crack

Bulls*it.

Yes even at world cup DH level guys like Bruni,Finn never crack their carbon Demo's.

Maybe because they ride aluminum frames? tup

Posted: Dec 31, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
bikebasher wrote:
fantaman wrote:
dh-corn wrote:


Bulls*it.

Yes even at world cup DH level guys like Bruni,Finn never crack their carbon Demo's.

Maybe because they ride aluminum frames? tup

It's because Specialized doesn't make a S-Works Demo yet because they see performance wise their factory riders like the feel of the Alu frames,it doesn't have to do that carbon is bad.For consumers the Alu bikes/frames are allot cheaper to sell for Specialized it saves you a couple of thousands of dollars.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008445
Mobile Version of Website