Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 22:55 Quote
Killrockstar wrote:
upgrade.... Eek

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 11:29 Quote
Have a boxer. want a fox 40. Boxxer steerer is 1 1/8". 40s is 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" tapered. So i would need a new lower headset bearing to accommodate the larger waist yeah?

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 16:03 Quote
i am thinking of getting a new demo, probably alloy again, too afraid that I destroy my carbon within the first week Big Grin

anyway, i am not quite sure about the size. currently my demo of 2014 is size M, I have the feeling that it is a little bit too small and that I should go for size L. I am 1,80m (5.9 i think in US). which size do you have and how tall are you guys?

thanks!

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 19:46 Quote
Demo8AUT wrote:
i am thinking of getting a new demo, probably alloy again, too afraid that I destroy my carbon within the first week Big Grin

anyway, i am not quite sure about the size. currently my demo of 2014 is size M, I have the feeling that it is a little bit too small and that I should go for size L. I am 1,80m (5.9 i think in US). which size do you have and how tall are you guys?

thanks!
Get the "L" /long, I am 5,10. Had many Demos 06,10,12,13, 15 (650b), all mediums. Now have 2017 S-Works size LONG. The medium is to small.

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 8:52 Quote
adkrider wrote:
Demo8AUT wrote:

thanks!
Get the "L" /long, I am 5,10. Had many Demos 06,10,12,13, 15 (650b), all mediums. Now have 2017 S-Works size LONG. The medium is to small.

Definitely get the Long. I'm 5'11" and ride the XL (2018 S-Works).

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 15:18 Quote
well guys, if i transfer your size into metric...this is like 5-6 cm taller than I am, not quite sure. I am in Whistler this weekend so maybe I have the chance to test a size L bike. just sitting on it would help me a lot.

@chriskief: how is carbon on a downhill bike? there are great offers on carbon frames, but i am afraid that the frame gets destroyed easily.

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 16:32 Quote
Demo8AUT wrote:
well guys, if i transfer your size into metric...this is like 5-6 cm taller than I am, not quite sure. I am in Whistler this weekend so maybe I have the chance to test a size L bike. just sitting on it would help me a lot.

@chriskief: how is carbon on a downhill bike? there are great offers on carbon frames, but i am afraid that the frame gets destroyed easily.

Today’s Carbon is just as strong if not stronger than aluminum. I’ve had 2 Carbon DH Bikes. And I’ve had several hard frame impacts. Never had any issues with cracks. The stiffness is noticeable in a good way. If my wallet can afford it, I’ll forever go carbon.

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 16:51 Quote
Hiya, I'm currently running a 450 nukeproof sls spring on my öhlins shock, but it feels soft af even though chart says it should fit perfectly - i'm around 90/92kg's (~200 pounds) and i like my suspension quite firm. Thinking of going for a swap to 550lbs (got a sweet deal and I'm low on money atm), but tbh I'm scared it would be too much. Should I go for it, or get something in the middle at ~500lbs spring rate?

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 19:29 Quote
550 seems a lot, @ 95kg my ti 500lb spring feels great if not a little linear.

I want to get my hands on that new progressive link

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 19:39 Quote
Killrockstar wrote:

Yeah I’ve found this Öhlins to bottom pretty easy. It’s a new bike to me, so I’m still working with dialing the rear in, but I too am looking for something a little more progressive

Posted: Jul 10, 2018 at 12:44 Quote
back from whistler, sat on an L bike and I think this is the right size for me, as my body was directly above the seat, which should be the ideal seating position. that is not the case on my size M bike, as I am a little bit in front of the seat (ca. 10 cm). i also have the feeling, that if I go to fast with my M sized bike, that I am too much in the front.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 17:37 Quote
Killrockstar wrote:

550 seems a lot, looking at the spring rate charts, but after my shock came from service, I tried it with my friend's 500 and 550 springs. 550 seems to fit me/my riding style perfectly, now the rear end has exactly the feeling I wanted. Still managed to bottom the shock out in same places on the trail as with the 450 spring though. Guess it's just my riding style, that I concentrate most of my mass on the back of the bike.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 20:46 Quote
It's not all about spring rates tho, the demo frame is just not progressive it will bottom out regardless, but increasing your spring weight beyond what is necessary is only going to destroy your small bump compliance and possibly exceed what your rebound is capable of.

If you are not bottoming out harshly then it's fine and doing its job, if you need more progression move to an air shock packed out with spacers.

but again if you have found a spring rate right for you then rad! go for it!

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 5:20 Quote
2013 S-Works Demo 8

This bike is new to me and I am in the process of freshening up a few things. I have replaced the drivetrain and am working on climbing capabilities. Here's the parts list:

Raceface 30t up front
KMC chain
XT 11-36t cassette
SRAM GX Short Cage Derailleur
Sram GX Shifter
SRAM PF30 BB
Truvativ Descendant Cranks

The issue that I'm having is it's quite noisy and the chain seems to always drag the cog next to it on the cassette creating some popping. I have had this set-up on another bike and was smooth as glass. When I switched the BB out, I did not install the 2.5mm spacer back in on the drive side - only used the thick one. Could this be problem? The chain line measures out to just about 56mm. Anybody with the same year and cranks using any spacers with their crank install? If I install the spacer, that's going to put the chain-line even further out. This is driving me crazy..... parts are all new except shifter, derailleur, and cable. I will be installing a new cable once my new shifter gets here. I am planning an upgrade but only after I get this issue sorted....... If the new cable doesn't fix it, I am going to try installing my spare derailleur hanger just to make sure my alignment is good. help...... Frown

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013776
Mobile Version of Website