Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Jan 5, 2019 at 18:04 Quote
hey guys
is anyone of you riding a demo (16-current) and has shimano m820 gear switch and derailleur?
i am having issues with fixing it on the frame, as i am not able to link the gear guard with the derailleur. it basically looks like this:

as you can see there is a spot between the gear guard and the derailleur. how did you fix that?

thank you!

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
Demo8AUT wrote:
hey guys
is anyone of you riding a demo (16-current) and has shimano m820 gear switch and derailleur?
i am having issues with fixing it on the frame, as i am not able to link the gear guard with the derailleur. it basically looks like this:

as you can see there is a spot between the gear guard and the derailleur. how did you fix that?

thank you!

As far as I know the derailleur guard is specific to the SRAM rear mechs specified by Specialized. I also had the same thing with my old Status when I used Shimano Saint, just had to run with out the guard.

Out of interest are you running all 10 sprockets on the cassette ? I thought the chain line might be out for the bigger sprockets ?

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 0:29 Quote
Demo8AUT wrote:
hey guys

thank you!

I have the same issue with my demo and a zee derailleur. been riding like that for a year with no problem. Im thinking of switching to sram though because shimano are more compact and shorter, resulting in the chain sitting closer to the frame, therefore more chain slap. I'll also have a real use of that guard, not that I've felt the need for it.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 17:46 Quote
steel4real wrote:

As far as I know the derailleur guard is specific to the SRAM rear mechs specified by Specialized. I also had the same thing with my old Status when I used Shimano Saint, just had to run with out the guard.

Out of interest are you running all 10 sprockets on the cassette ? I thought the chain line might be out for the bigger sprockets ?

thank you! I actually do not have a problem with that, as it is brand new I was not sure if i mounted it correctly or not. Did you screw in the screw from the guard into the frame? I assume that a lot of dirt will be collected if that whole is not "filled".

yes, I am running all 10 sprockets on the cassette Smile

zandeto wrote:
I have the same issue with my demo and a zee derailleur. been riding like that for a year with no problem. Im thinking of switching to sram though because shimano are more compact and shorter, resulting in the chain sitting closer to the frame, therefore more chain slap. I'll also have a real use of that guard, not that I've felt the need for it.

thanks! i am going to wrap the frame with an old tube anyway, so that part of the frame is protected Smile

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 0:29 Quote
wrote:
zandeto wrote:

thanks! i am going to wrap the frame with an old tube anyway, so that part of the frame is protected Smile

wrap both the chainstay and the seat stay. I also suggest you keep the guard on. it gives just a little bit of protection and you won't have the hole filled with dirt.

Posted: Jan 13, 2019 at 11:45 Quote
[Quote="zandeto"]
zandeto wrote:
wrap both the chainstay and the seat stay. I also suggest you keep the guard on. it gives just a little bit of protection and you won't have the hole filled with dirt.

Yes, I'll wrap everything that is possible to wrap haha
Although my old Demo is not wrapped that much, it still looks pretty good. Is carbon more vulnerable when it comes to rock chips than aluminium?

And yes, I thought of keeping the guard on the bike as well, because that "whole" to the axle is to big and it probably is not good for the bearings as well.

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 12:05 Quote
Does anyone else break an excessive amount of derailleur cables? I’ve tried shimano and sram set ups and go through them every couple days of riding. Broke my first one within 3 hours of buying the bike. Considering single speed because of it.

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 14:18 Quote
Not had a single cable issue , is it being routed correctly ? Is there enough slack that it doesn't pull when fully compressed ?

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 17:52 Quote
if in largest cog and have a big compression the cable is more likely to snap ? Happened to me like 3 times , My lbs told me if I had a 7 speed shifter it may not happen anymore

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 16:12 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Not had a single cable issue , is it being routed correctly ? Is there enough slack that it doesn't pull when fully compressed ?

I had a shop internally route it, but that makes sense. I will try that next.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Hi there! I’m planning to upgrade my rear shock. Currently using a fox van rc and it’s a little bit heavy. I’m choosing between Ohlins TTX 22 and the fox float X2. Any advice? Thanks in advance

mckoy06 wrote:
Hi there! I’m planning to upgrade my rear shock. Currently using a fox van rc and it’s a little bit heavy. I’m choosing between Ohlins TTX 22 and the fox float X2. Any advice? Thanks in advance

I have a float x2 and I love it. I went with this choice becuz I ride different hills and its super easy to adjust the PSI. But I've herd nothing but good new of you go with a ohlins.

littleman22 wrote:
mckoy06 wrote:

I have a float x2 and I love it. I went with this choice becuz I ride different hills and its super easy to adjust the PSI. But I've herd nothing but good new of you go with a ohlins.
changing the air pressure sounds like a great option but I went from a van to the ttx ohlins and never regretted aminute of it , next level for sure , I doubt there is much weight difference between the coil shocks , air is no doubt lighter

chickendog wrote:
littleman22 wrote:
mckoy06 wrote:

changing the air pressure sounds like a great option but I went from a van to the ttx ohlins and never regretted aminute of it , next level for sure , I doubt there is much weight difference between the coil shocks , air is no doubt lighter

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it! I think I’ll go for the ttx

chickendog wrote:
littleman22 wrote:
mckoy06 wrote:

I plan to buy a ohlins this spring or summer. Never rode one and most guys at my local bike park ride the ohlins on there demos and swear buy it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017566
Mobile Version of Website