Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 13:43 Quote
crfnick56 wrote:
Killrockstar wrote:

You mean in this bit?

Can Someone explain to me what the toothed part around the BB is for? I'm trying to instal a LG1 chain guide and its not fitting around the part in the picture (The picture is NOT my bike, just an image I found searching for info in this thread)

I took the Specialized guide off and the toothed ring is left, do I put the outer piece back on? Ami I missing something easy because I'm feeling real dumb right now?

Bike should come with 2 types of parts that fit around the teeth, the one without the bashguard is for use with aftermarket chainguides

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 at 6:23 Quote
Killrockstar wrote:
crfnick56 wrote:
Killrockstar wrote:

You mean in this bit?

Can Someone explain to me what the toothed part around the BB is for? I'm trying to instal a LG1 chain guide and its not fitting around the part in the picture (The picture is NOT my bike, just an image I found searching for info in this thread)

I took the Specialized guide off and the toothed ring is left, do I put the outer piece back on? Ami I missing something easy because I'm feeling real dumb right now?

Bike should come with 2 types of parts that fit around the teeth, the one without the bashguard is for use with aftermarket chainguides

I bought the bike used and only got the one that has the bashguard piece on the bottom. I managed to get it to fit with the outer parts removed and with the right amount of spacers behind it and with the right chainline centered in the upper guide.

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 at 19:03 Quote
looking to replace my ohlins ttx on my 2017 demo 8 carbon with a 2017 fox dhx2. the fox shock doesn't fit. how to or where to find the right installation hardware to fit it? thanks!

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 at 21:09 Quote
snoborder wrote:
looking to replace my ohlins ttx on my 2017 demo 8 carbon with a 2017 fox dhx2. the fox shock doesn't fit. how to or where to find the right installation hardware to fit it? thanks!

My Answer:
Not sure if the Carbon is different than the alu, but I have an '09 Fox DHx 5.0 (9.5" x 3") that came on a Yeti 303R-DH that fit my 2017 Alu Demo without any change to the stock installation hardware.

That being said, I kept whatever DU bushings were used for the Yeti. I think they're the standard Fox 2-piece reducer, but it might have been a slightly bigger 3-piece pin and sleeve. The Ohlin's eyelet hardware looked totally different and I didn't touch it.

Why are you replacing the ohlins?

My Experience with the ttx:
I bought a 2017 alu demo off one of the coastal crew guys at the start of last season. He had the ohlins ttx on it from a Spec sponsorship, but never ran it due to a SRAM/RockShox sponsorship.

The 434 spring on the ttx wasn't stiff enough for me so I "temporarily" swapped it out with the old DHx with a 550lb spring. My local Specialized dealer couldn't get me a heavy enough spring though so it stayed on all season.

I was just looking at getting a heavier spring from Suspensionwerx who's an Ohlin's service center, but I was told the 434 should be heavy enough for me (185lbs/84kgs), and that the shock probably just feels so soft because the nitrogen charge on the damper has probably all leaked out. I protested that I never ran the shock so it's basically brand new, but was told the nitrgoen leaks out of the shock the same way air leaks out of a tire. I'm reluctant to invest the time and money into setting up the ttx now that I know it has this non-serviceable N2 charge that makes such a huge difference to the shock's performance .

Posted: Feb 28, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
Question,

I seen someone post up a Specialized Demo 8 Monster Energy Sam Hill (looks to be a 2010 one) for sale and thinking of picking it up. Good price (£600) and looks to be in good condition. He said it was recently serviced, No receipts though which worries me. Seems to have 2 different brake levers, Should i be worried about that? Riser and bars new as well from looks of it. He also mentioned the frame is size 21" though i thought it went by S/M/L/XL of was it different 8 years ago?

Looking for a toy, not a daily bike, Seems like the only chance to buy something like this over here.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Link for those interested in pics
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/specialized-demo-8-monster-energy-sam-hill-ltd-edition-downhill-mountain-bike-bicycle/1331524292

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 15:35 Quote
mmoon wrote:

I was just looking at getting a heavier spring from Suspensionwerx who's an Ohlin's service center, but I was told the 434 should be heavy enough for me (185lbs/84kgs), and that the shock probably just feels so soft because the nitrogen charge on the damper has probably all leaked out. I protested that I never ran the shock so it's basically brand new, but was told the nitrgoen leaks out of the shock the same way air leaks out of a tire. I'm reluctant to invest the time and money into setting up the ttx now that I know it has this non-serviceable N2 charge that makes such a huge difference to the shock's performance .

How did they tell you to fix this issue? I think I may have the same problem, I weigh about 180lbs and am using a 434 and I still find it to be a little soft. Sag is just about right on 30% but feels way too soft and plush.

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 18:15 Quote
I believe you just need a heavier spring ,I am 175 and use 457lb spring , feels good to me , still bottom out , softly , and not often

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 19:50 Quote
Chickendog do you think you could go a bit heavier or is 457 the perfect spring rate for you? I'm thinking about gettin a TI 500lb spring but thats only because I cant find anyone with a heavier ohlins lightweight spring

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 21:31 Quote
phuley94 wrote:
Chickendog do you think you could go a bit heavier or is 457 the perfect spring rate for you? I'm thinking about gettin a TI 500lb spring but thats only because I cant find anyone with a heavier ohlins lightweight spring

I’m 185 and I run the 488 spring. Occasionally bottom out. Will either go heavier spring or get the progressive link for this year.

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 6:50 Quote
when I was using a FOX instead of Ohlins I would use a 475 lb spring if I was riding at a park with a lot of built jump trails with larger jumps , not as natural ,smoother trails , I liked it for that stuff but it would beat you up after a long day of more natural "DH " trails . I liked the heavier spring as it had more support without needing to increase the damping but I couldn't ride as hard for the same length of time without feeling beat up. All personal preference . I bottomed out a 475 spring also , not as much of course . Nothing wrong with having an extra spring for the occasion

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
phuley94 wrote:
mmoon wrote:

How did they tell you to fix this issue? I think I may have the same problem, I weigh about 180lbs and am using a 434 and I still find it to be a little soft. Sag is just about right on 30% but feels way too soft and plush.

They told me to bring the shock to them so they could put it in a dyno and see if it was working correctly, and if not they’d do a service.
I do think they misunderstood me though, because they also explained that different bikes have different leverage ratios and require different weight springs even on the same shock.
I’m currently running a 550 on a Fox on the Demo, and can’t see the 411-434 ohlins they expect me to need to be enough.

I’ll probably just keep running my DHX 5.0 and sell the Ohlins. The DHX came off a Yeti race team member’s bike (back when Yeti had one of those) and was valved for a linear suspension curve, possibly why I haven’t felt the need for the progressive link.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 13:27 Quote
I totally agree, I reached out to Ohlins and they said that the 434 was about right and possibly even a little too much for me... I cant say i agree. Where does one even find the progressive link for the demo?

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 17:10 Quote
They are not available it is just a myth.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 18:06 Quote
phuley94 wrote:
I totally agree, I reached out to Ohlins and they said that the 434 was about right and possibly even a little too much for me... I cant say i agree. Where does one even find the progressive link for the demo?

I just went to my specialized dealer and they ordered it for me.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 18:12 Quote
am confused guys!? what does the progressive link do? compared to a stock link

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023410
Mobile Version of Website