Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Author Message
Posted: Jun 2, 2019 at 8:57 Quote
The irony of using frame protectors and you get a crack in a completely different location Madder

Speaking of colors, I'd like to see a dark grey (graphite) and blue color scheme. Eek Or black/yellow as the FSR logo has been for the past few year's designs. tup

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 0:54 Quote
I can't tell if this is just the paint layer that's chipped off, or part of the carbon. I have a 2017 aluminum demo but I believe this part of the bike (chainstay/rear axle) is carbon on both the alloy & carbon frames. Is it toast?
I also noticed what looks like a hairline crack at the other end of the chainstay by the pivot, but can't tell if its just the paint or a crack in the carbon as well. I'll take a picture and get a closer look myself tomorrow.

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 9:05 Quote
Eek Guess who found loose chainring bolts.. omfg >.> i swear if that was the cause of the clicking. (I hope it is).

Eek Also to the guy above, that look's like surface level damage tho. Unless your chainstay is hanging on by a thread it should be ok. Carbon is strong Jailbreak

You could try the tap test tho. Get something light and plastic and smack it around the frame. If certain area's sound dull then you might have an issue. Otherwise you get a nice tap noise.

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 16:53 Quote
anyone running a fox dhx2 on a demo 8 carbon?

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 4:31 Quote
Still clicking. Decided to finally check the bb a lil bit dirty but nothing look's broken Eek

https://i.postimg.cc/G2TP5Kq9/PHOTO-20190607-103802.jpg

Here is the axle, Again nothing looks wrong.

https://i.postimg.cc/fywL9TtZ/PHOTO-20190607-103923.jpg

Sometimes it feels like the headset. sometimes the pedals. But when trying to isolate it, it just doesn't click. Facepalm

If it was a cracked frame i would assume it would constantly make the noise. i've been pedalling slowly and it sometimes click's. So all that's left is pedal bearings (even tho it spins freely). Suspension ??? or chain ? pivots ? Really Mad

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 8:36 Quote
nothing more annoying then a creak that you can't figure out! I feel for ya lol. Does it happen when you push down on the bike with the pedaling?

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 8:52 Quote
Yup, i basically went nuts and made sure everything was tight yesterday (axles,seat,derailleur screw,headset EVERYTHING !!)

And then within 5 seconds of pedalling it sounds like the frame or bb area of the bike makes clicking noises. BUT ! if i stop pedalling then the noise stops.

I've just undone the pedal (both the screw that attaches to the crank and the pedal itself 'bearing') incase it was not threaded properly. It sounds and feels like it's coming from the pedal more now. I don't have any spare's to test with tho.

The bb itself seems fine. When removing the axle it was a bit stuck (because it's never been taken out before) but now its been cleaned and regreased. Theres no wobbling in the bearings and no play either side of the cranks.

I thought maybe it could be the plastic uh.. frame pieces that are behind the crankring/chain guide ??altho even that doesnt wiggle when pushing or trying to move it.

Am really at a loss. Without predalling and jumping on the f*cker, Nothing happen's.. except maybe a random click. IF i use the pedal to put more force down then it happens more often. And it happens pretty much without fail when standing up and pedalling.

I havent taken the rear shock out yet (mostly cause this is all still new and its kinda intimidating), but i will have a go at that tomorrow. I kinda want to have pivot bearing creak.. just to get some closure on this Really Mad

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 8:57 Quote
Also to answer your question. Headset was a possibility, because that was the initial issue (It came loose).

But pushing down on the bars (Literally putting full body weight through it) doesnt cause it to click/cracking noise like it does when standing/pedalling

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 11:14 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
Also to answer your question. Headset was a possibility, because that was the initial issue (It came loose).

But pushing down on the bars (Literally putting full body weight through it) doesnt cause it to click/cracking noise like it does when standing/pedalling

i have some knocking too after last weekends shred fest. isolated it to what i believe the shock mounting. mine knocks every time i compress it. Does it when i sit on the saddle, on the pedals, and just pushing the frame down. I found that if i reach under the shock and pull it up so its tight when i compress it, the knock goes away. So I'm prettttttttty sure its the shock or shock hardware. Took it all apart yesterday and it looks almost new, so idk. might have to swap shocks with @mitchman117 when we meet up at trestle for a parking lot test to see if it goes away. lol.

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 11:22 Quote
bigquotesi have some knocking too after last weekends shred fest. isolated it to what i believe the shock mounting. mine knocks every time i compress it.

That's actually pretty interesting. And the last thing i haven't checked yet. Im pretty sure i've heard it click when not standing on the pedals and just pushing down on the seat with the chain slack too. Altho knocking sound usually means something isnt tight ? rather than too tight or broken ?

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 12:34 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
bigquotesi have some knocking too after last weekends shred fest. isolated it to what i believe the shock mounting. mine knocks every time i compress it.

That's actually pretty interesting. And the last thing i haven't checked yet. Im pretty sure i've heard it click when not standing on the pedals and just pushing down on the seat with the chain slack too. Altho knocking sound usually means something isnt tight ? rather than too tight or broken ?

They go through upper Bush and Rose bearings every month in my experience, mine pissed me off so much that I just bought the lower bush/pin kit and fitted it to the Top eyelet and got rid of that Rose joint annoyance.

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 15:52 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
Yup, i basically went nuts and made sure everything was tight yesterday (axles,seat,derailleur screw,headset EVERYTHING !!)

And then within 5 seconds of pedalling it sounds like the frame or bb area of the bike makes clicking noises. BUT ! if i stop pedalling then the noise stops.

I've just undone the pedal (both the screw that attaches to the crank and the pedal itself 'bearing') incase it was not threaded properly. It sounds and feels like it's coming from the pedal more now. I don't have any spare's to test with tho.

The bb itself seems fine. When removing the axle it was a bit stuck (because it's never been taken out before) but now its been cleaned and regreased. Theres no wobbling in the bearings and no play either side of the cranks.

I thought maybe it could be the plastic uh.. frame pieces that are behind the crankring/chain guide ??altho even that doesnt wiggle when pushing or trying to move it.

Am really at a loss. Without predalling and jumping on the f*cker, Nothing happen's.. except maybe a random click. IF i use the pedal to put more force down then it happens more often. And it happens pretty much without fail when standing up and pedalling.

I havent taken the rear shock out yet (mostly cause this is all still new and its kinda intimidating), but i will have a go at that tomorrow. I kinda want to have pivot bearing creak.. just to get some closure on this Really Mad


I'm wondering if your main pivot bearing is starting to die. You could look into that see if needs to be serviced or replaced.

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
Just undid the non-drive side pivot and the bearing seal was sticking out the side a little bit !!! Eek
Not sure if that is the cause yet and it didnt feel like it was completely seized up.

If the seal has been damaged, is it possible to ride without one ? It's just to prevent dirt getting in ?

Will take some pic's tomorrow to show what's what Razz

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
What the actual f*ck !!!

Just got back from a ride and noticed this black seal thing hanging out of the rear triangle.
Then saw this bit of metal !!!

https://youtu.be/jrEaz_MBKrk

Is there supposed to be a seal thing behind the crank ? If so.. mines destroyed itself !! which would explain why the drive side was making that crack sound.. cause it's literally scraping metal !!

I didn't see it before because the rubber seal must have been keeping it hidden.

https://i.postimg.cc/26hPQq6M/WTF.jpg

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 12:24 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
What the actual f*ck !!!

Just got back from a ride and noticed this black seal thing hanging out of the rear triangle.
Then saw this bit of metal !!!

https://youtu.be/jrEaz_MBKrk

Is there supposed to be a seal thing behind the crank ? If so.. mines destroyed itself !! which would explain why the drive side was making that crack sound.. cause it's literally scraping metal !!

I didn't see it before because the rubber seal must have been keeping it hidden.

https://i.postimg.cc/26hPQq6M/WTF.jpg

You need to take the chain stay off the bike and inspect the main pivot bearings. Or at least that is what I would recommend.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028907
Mobile Version of Website