Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Author Message
Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
moppop999 wrote:
Has anyone been able to quiet down these bikes? I have a 2017 alloy base model. I seem to have an obnoxious clang when hitting big rough stuff. Chased the chain slap for a while, thinking it might be the free hub or cassette when there is slack and then re engages? Any pointers?

Yep, a lot of the noise is the freehub rotating a bit as you say, though chain slap is also quite a bit too, I put some 15mm thick foam on the upper side of my chain stay that helped a lot, also the rose bearing wears out quick and can cause some knocking.

The chain runs incredibly close to the inside of the seat stays too, but it's such a small gap I didn't want to put any more foam there as it would rub.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 1:24 Quote
Can confirm the cassette/hub makes some weird noises sometimes, it's actually pretty loud ticking when not pedalling as well (Which i enjoy Smile )

The thing's i noticed that make noise are:

Cassette/hub, Derailleur when the indexing starts to go out (Pretty horrible rattle sound tbh lol), Play in the cranks or wheel hub's (Knocking sounds/feel), Knocking/Klonk sound from the rear shock if your screws arn't tight (particulary the front bolt), Knocking from the front suspension if your headset is loose or from the suspension itself (You can get some 'deadzone' before the thing squishes or from topout.

Then minor things like brakes making click or creaking sounds, Spokes making ping sounds and rattles from loose presta valve nuts. Sometimes you can get internal routing rattle or cables just smacking against parts of the frame as well.

Oh and chain rub from the chainstay protector, chain guide. tup

Solution : Make sure everything is tight and wear headphones lol

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
Can confirm the cassette/hub makes some weird noises sometimes, it's actually pretty loud ticking when not pedalling as well (Which i enjoy Smile )

The thing's i noticed that make noise are:

Cassette/hub, Derailleur when the indexing starts to go out (Pretty horrible rattle sound tbh lol), Play in the cranks or wheel hub's (Knocking sounds/feel), Knocking/Klonk sound from the rear shock if your screws arn't tight (particulary the front bolt), Knocking from the front suspension if your headset is loose or from the suspension itself (You can get some 'deadzone' before the thing squishes or from topout.

Then minor things like brakes making click or creaking sounds, Spokes making ping sounds and rattles from loose presta valve nuts. Sometimes you can get internal routing rattle or cables just smacking against parts of the frame as well.

Oh and chain rub from the chainstay protector, chain guide. tup

Solution : Make sure everything is tight and wear headphones lol

I’ve got new wheel bearings and main pivot around the bb as well as new bb bearings. If I ride chain less it’s dead silent which is nice. But I’ll look a bit further into the hub and maybe try a new derailleur

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
bigburd wrote:
moppop999 wrote:
Has anyone been able to quiet down these bikes? I have a 2017 alloy base model. I seem to have an obnoxious clang when hitting big rough stuff. Chased the chain slap for a while, thinking it might be the free hub or cassette when there is slack and then re engages? Any pointers?

Yep, a lot of the noise is the freehub rotating a bit as you say, though chain slap is also quite a bit too, I put some 15mm thick foam on the upper side of my chain stay that helped a lot, also the rose bearing wears out quick and can cause some knocking.

The chain runs incredibly close to the inside of the seat stays too, but it's such a small gap I didn't want to put any more foam there as it would rub.

Where is this rose bearing everyone keeps talking about? What’s it look like?

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 11:16 Quote
In the upper eyelet on the ohlins shock, it allows the shock to rotate a tiny bit

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 13:18 Quote
Eek Why dont we have mini-bearings in the eyelets ? .. they are everybleddywhereelse lol

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 18:44 Quote
who was the one who had the headset bearings open? i forget what size they are and i need to order some. don't feel like cracking it open right now to look.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 19:57 Quote
mmoon wrote:
If it's the same as the 2017 alloy then I'm pretty sure you just need these: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cane-creek-cartridge-bearings-s6-s8-zs6-is6/rp-prod11267

The Cane Creek bag I pulled my bearings out of says:

.HSS2031(or .HSS2034 maybe, I can't read the last number) BEAR.SS 1 1/8 S6 ZS6 IS6 2/BAG

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 2:04 Quote
They are cane creek, but apparently come under multiple part name's. Going to assume 2016-2019 all use the same headset cup's.
https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/mh-p03k-headset-bearing.html


Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 2:12 Quote
Mine say 6.5Hx 41x 30.2x36x45 on them.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 2:34 Quote
bigquotesMine say 6.5Hx 41x 30.2x36x45 on them.
Yup so that basically means 41 (outer diameter) x 30 (inner diameter) x 6.5 (height) The 36/45 is the angle.

Some bearing's are marked H7 (but it turns out this is really 6.5)

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 0:37 Quote
What’s the forums general opinion on the rose bearing at the front shock mount? Keep it and replace like for like when needed or go with a more standard low friction bushing and mount?

Thanks

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 10:04 Quote
rocko1982 wrote:
What’s the forums general opinion on the rose bearing at the front shock mount? Keep it and replace like for like when needed or go with a more standard low friction bushing and mount?

Thanks

I would swap to a normal pin/bush system straight away, I you leave it knocking for too long you end up damaging the eyelet.
I order the lower bush kit and just put it in the upper.
That rose bearing lasts a few weeks of good riding at best I found, sick to death or replacing them and I can't feel any difference, bike does not seem stiffer or less compliant that I can notice.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
bigburd wrote:
rocko1982 wrote:
What’s the forums general opinion on the rose bearing at the front shock mount? Keep it and replace like for like when needed or go with a more standard low friction bushing and mount?

Thanks

I would swap to a normal pin/bush system straight away, I you leave it knocking for too long you end up damaging the eyelet.
I order the lower bush kit and just put it in the upper.
That rose bearing lasts a few weeks of good riding at best I found, sick to death or replacing them and I can't feel any difference, bike does not seem stiffer or less compliant that I can notice.

Could you link the bushing you are using? Mine needs replaced and I can’t seem to find it

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
patch92 wrote:
bigburd wrote:
rocko1982 wrote:
What’s the forums general opinion on the rose bearing at the front shock mount? Keep it and replace like for like when needed or go with a more standard low friction bushing and mount?

Thanks

I would swap to a normal pin/bush system straight away, I you leave it knocking for too long you end up damaging the eyelet.
I order the lower bush kit and just put it in the upper.
That rose bearing lasts a few weeks of good riding at best I found, sick to death or replacing them and I can't feel any difference, bike does not seem stiffer or less compliant that I can notice.

Could you link the bushing you are using? Mine needs replaced and I can’t seem to find it

https://j-techsuspension.co.uk/collections/mount-kits-and-bushings


The Ohlins 14/16 bushing and the Ohlins TTX mounting kit Bushing type if you wanna swap out the Rose bearing, worth doing in my opinion.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011291
Mobile Version of Website