Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 8:51 Quote
Why can’t you undo it? I’ve never not been able to and had to take off some tight ones. Decent chain whip and a long spanner on a cassette tool?

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 9:28 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Why can’t you undo it? I’ve never not been able to and had to take off some tight ones. Decent chain whip and a long spanner on a cassette tool?

I mean it's possible im weak af Jail . But i have literally been wraping multiple chains around, using a cheater bar and tapping with a hammer. It's not supposed to be this difficult i'm sure.

All of the video turorials show it like you just push down with a bit of force and it basically comes undone. But this isn't coming loose at all, infact it moved the last 3 cogs a tiny bit while the lock ring itself isn't moving at all Eek . Hence why i think it's sized up somehow.

I can maybe try again and really go crazy, but i don't think it's gonna budge

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
Eek Need some advice please if anyone can help.
So the stuck lock ring problem i'm having. I have started to file down the outside of the ring because it's not coming loose with force alone. (It's like fuzed itself together with the last sprocket Eek )

photo

If i keep filing it down around the outer rim will there be a gap between the hub body and the lock ring ? I just don't want to damage the threads on the hub.

Alternatively is there a better way ? like cutting it off from the top etc instead ? I don't want to destroy it SO much that in a last ditch attempt a LBS might be able to undo it.

You need to buy this tool and do it right so you don't break you free body.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/x-tools-cassette-lockring-tool/rp-prod10183

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
Ordered that tool and a chainwhip Facepalm hopefully that will be enough

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 14:21 Quote
If you didn’t have a cassette tool, how were you trying to undo it?

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 15:47 Quote
I always just keep a worn out chain on hand. Wrap it over, then wrap it around a 2x4 on the floor. Step on the 2x4 and it comes loose every time

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 23:54 Quote
I have a normal cassette tool (12 spline without guide pin) that i bought brand new a little while ago so its not worn or anything.

I have been wraping a couple of spare chains around various cogs and using an old seat post and stepping on it so it doesn't move

Then using a wrench with a bar attached on the end to try and get more leverage.
(It doesn't move or even budge when trying to undo it Very confused )

I should be getting the new tool and chain whip later today, will try wedging the wheel against a wall or something, use both the seat post spare chains AND chain whip. And try using as much force as possible.

If not then im going to keep filing away or dremel the outer rim and try again. If it still doesn't move then im going to try and remove it completely with dremel Madder

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 2:07 Quote
If you can’t undo it with a cassette tool you won’t do it any other way. I wouldn’t waste your time filing.

Some times I’ve used an old chain and driven over it with a car and then wrapped it around the cassette. The wheel presses against cars wheel and can’t move.

If something won’t come undone it’s usually cause you don’t have enough leverage or it’s not hot enough lol

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 2:35 Quote
heh, Smile with how i'm feeling. I want to run over the entire bike with a car.

On the off chance of destroying the wheel later Rolleyes . What do i need to look for in finding a replacement ?

I don't understand all this XD driver crap.. all i read from the manual is it's 12x135 ?

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 7:23 Quote
Doesn’t make any difference on how you take it off. Just the Xd will almost pull the cassette off as you undo it and the standard one will just get the lock ring off and you slide the cassette off the splines

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 7:43 Quote
Eek Yes that was the question. What is the hub/body on the demo 8 ? its not a freehub because that's shimano right ?
It's not XD because it has a lockring. How would you go about replacing it ?

On other note. Tools arrived Jailbreak -Disclaimer- Not endorsed by x-tool's. Just taken photo for any possible future reference. Eek

photo

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
Sram have normal cassettes aswell. Sram only went xd when 11 speed came out. To me it looks like a normal 10 speed cassette lock ring

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 10:06 Quote
The cassette is a normal casette i understand this. But what hub body would you need if it get's damaged or want to build a new wheel with ?

It's a Roval 27.5 (Rim size) 12x135 (Axle width/length) 32 hole (Number of spokes)... but what's the hub body ? .. I can't find out because the stupid cassette is stuck LOL !! lol Has anyone had to replace their's before ?

All specialized specs sheet say's is it's a 'specialized hub' ... and that's it.
According the tredz mtb wheel guide. You'd need is a shimano hyperglide ? Is that what the demo 8 uses ??

photo

Note - Im talking about the alloy demo 8 (2017,18,19 model's) and not the carbon's which are probably fitted with the SRAM XD 7-Speed DH hub (Which make's sense).

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 4:01 Quote
Its a normal shimano splined hub. Can confirm that the cassettes get stuck sometimes when not taken off for a while and/or not tightened properly. Have been working in a bike rental, which rents out demo 8 bikes so experience is not the question. Any other questions the thread makers/posters will be happy to answer.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 5:28 Quote
Eek ooh, thank you very much. That make's more sense now.
Was looking up all the different hub types thinking Very confused surely there hasn't been anymore created in the past couple years or so...

So i guess to buy a replacement wheel. All you need to get is a 12x135 with a standard freehub ? and a 10 speed cassette.

One more question about wheel's. Some of them don't say 12x135 but 12x135/142 instead. That mean's it's a 135 but with adaptor's to fit a 142 (the new non-boost standard?)

Also some say 135xQR --- the quick release part is an adaptor as well ?

Eek Thank's for helping you are a boss.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014994
Mobile Version of Website