Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 7:43 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
Smile It's as important as chain length

which is actually pretty important if you want a quiet bike that shifts perfect every time with out slapping around or snapping when blowing through travel...

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 10:35 Quote
patch92 wrote:
CarolineHix wrote:

which is actually pretty important if you want a quiet bike that shifts perfect every time with out slapping around or snapping when blowing through travel...

Lol, not this again.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:44 Quote
1x system for the win!!!!

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 18:29 Quote
bigburd wrote:
patch92 wrote:
CarolineHix wrote:

Lol, not this again.

lol

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
I've been searching through this thread - around last March there was a discussion about progressive links. I have been trying to figure out if maybe I already have the progressive link. One poster said they got a 2018 and it came with the progressive link. I have a 2019 aluminum Demo 27.5. How can I RELIABLY tell if I have a progressive link?? Is there any source other than just us Pinkbike thread followers?

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 9:47 Quote
mikebeeee wrote:
I've been searching through this thread - around last March there was a discussion about progressive links. I have been trying to figure out if maybe I already have the progressive link. One poster said they got a 2018 and it came with the progressive link. I have a 2019 aluminum Demo 27.5. How can I RELIABLY tell if I have a progressive link?? Is there any source other than just us Pinkbike thread followers?

upload a photo a the swing arm and many should be able to tell you

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
mikebeeee wrote:

Yup. Just snap a pic and I’ll tell you yes or no.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 10:43 Quote
photo

this is the progressive link, note the trunion that the shock bolts to,on the standard link the shock bolts directly to the link, also your rebound adjuster is verical on standard and leaning horizontal onthe progressive.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 1:02 Quote
Aluminium don’t come standard with the progressive link as the rebound adjuster is straight up.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
Hey guys, I have a demo 2017 alloy and I want to put 29 wheel just in the front.

Bur before buy the suspension I want to know of someone do the same thing or if isn't possible to put 29 wheel on front because the wheel touch on the frame when the suspension works.

Somenone can save me??

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
OK, thanks - I confirmed I do not have a progressive link. My shock attachment is different from pic of the progressive link.

I can see the progressive link for sale in other countries but not the US. The part # listed on some foreign (e.g. China) Specialized sites doesn't return anything on the US site. I've emailed Specialized to ask about availability of this part, we'll see if/how they respond.

I also asked them if it would fit a 2019 alloy Demo. I've seen it listed as fitting the 2015-17 carbon Demos. Clearly that different from my 2019 alloy Demo, but I don't think the design changed from 17 to 19. And as far as carbon vs. alloy, I know the main pivot bearings they sell as fitting the carbon bike fit the alloy one too (I've installed them). Anybody have any knowledge of whether the progressive link would work on an alloy 2019?

Lastly, I've seen the progressive link discussed with the air shock - does it HAVE to be used with an air shock, or is it just better that way (more progressive)?

Thanks,
Mike.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 9:31 Quote
mikebeeee wrote:
OK, thanks - I confirmed I do not have a progressive link. My shock attachment is different from pic of the progressive link.

I can see the progressive link for sale in other countries but not the US. The part # listed on some foreign (e.g. China) Specialized sites doesn't return anything on the US site. I've emailed Specialized to ask about availability of this part, we'll see if/how they respond.

I also asked them if it would fit a 2019 alloy Demo. I've seen it listed as fitting the 2015-17 carbon Demos. Clearly that different from my 2019 alloy Demo, but I don't think the design changed from 17 to 19. And as far as carbon vs. alloy, I know the main pivot bearings they sell as fitting the carbon bike fit the alloy one too (I've installed them). Anybody have any knowledge of whether the progressive link would work on an alloy 2019?

Lastly, I've seen the progressive link discussed with the air shock - does it HAVE to be used with an air shock, or is it just better that way (more progressive)?

Thanks,
Mike.

The link will fit any of the ' old ' shaped demos, Alloy or Carbon, it does not have to be used with the air shock, infact it may even be too progressive with the link possibly ?
Suppose it depends what you are wanting, I found with my coil shock and the link it's just about right for me on the same spring weight, but if you want some thing that will almost never/rarely bottom then go with air.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
davesdias wrote:
Hey guys, I have a demo 2017 alloy and I want to put 29 wheel just in the front.

Bur before buy the suspension I want to know of someone do the same thing or if isn't possible to put 29 wheel on front because the wheel touch on the frame when the suspension works.

Somenone can save me??

I haven't done this. But the tire will definitely rub the frame. You'd have to really drop the fork stanchions as low as they can go in the crowns, and it still might rub. it might be wise to find someone with a 29" and try it.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
I've done the mullet setup. (29 on front)

With a Fox 40 and 2.5 inch assegai it missed the fork crown by 2mm. You can ride around on concrete like that but as soon as you hit the first bump the tyre skims the crown. A big enough hit would cause the wheel to lock up resulting in a big OTB.

Cheapest option was to buy the 49 lowers and convert it to a 49 that way. Air shaft and damper stay the same.

Remember by increasing the axle to crown the geometry is considerably different. The head angle becomes approx. 62.8 degrees and bottom bracket height will increase. However modern DH head angles are in the 62's and the Demo could do with a slightly higher BB so it's not all bad. Not to mention the added strain on the head tube. The carbon frames are made from candle wax I'm pretty certain so don't be surprised to see cracks. I love these bikes but the frame construction/layup is the worst.

So it can be done, just not as simply as slapping a wheel on. Do it right with the proper fork and go from there.

photo

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
Thanks @bigburd. I can't really decide what we want. I'm still trying to do some research. It's my son's bike, I'm just the mechanic. He's ~160lbs, good rider/racer. Been running the coil that came on the bike with no real complaints. I guess it can feel a bit harsh sometimes, whatever exactly "harsh" means. Less plush than the 2012 26" Demo he graduated from (plush - another super unspecific word).

It seems like most of the old photos of the pros (pre-29er) show the progressive link, and I've read racers/mechanics talk about it. But I also keep asking myself - if the progressive link is better, and they already manufacture it, why don't they spec and ship bikes with the progressive link installed? Is the OEM link better for some people or conditions?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015981
Mobile Version of Website