Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 15:45 Quote
mikebeeee wrote:
Thanks @bigburd. I can't really decide what we want. I'm still trying to do some research. It's my son's bike, I'm just the mechanic. He's ~160lbs, good rider/racer. Been running the coil that came on the bike with no real complaints. I guess it can feel a bit harsh sometimes, whatever exactly "harsh" means. Less plush than the 2012 26" Demo he graduated from (plush - another super unspecific word).

It seems like most of the old photos of the pros (pre-29er) show the progressive link, and I've read racers/mechanics talk about it. But I also keep asking myself - if the progressive link is better, and they already manufacture it, why don't they spec and ship bikes with the progressive link installed? Is the OEM link better for some people or conditions?

If the mullet is better on the new frame, Finn and Loic are both on 27.5/29, why is Spec selling 29/29 only? They’ve clearly figured out the preferred linkage for their race team, but don’t offer it to the public as far as I know.

Also, is the difference between the progressive and non-progressive link just the little trunion? I feel like I could manufacturer that piece for cheaper than I could buy the progressive link from Specialized. Not the whole link, but the trunion.

Regarding bike setup, I know it was briefly discussed on a previous page, but I personally think the demos come set up too soft. Just stick a 50lb heavier spring in there and see if your son likes it. I did that three times, but I had the luxury of having a lot of spare springs around and a spare 9.5x3” shock.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 16:17 Quote
mikebeeee wrote:
Thanks @bigburd. I can't really decide what we want. I'm still trying to do some research. It's my son's bike, I'm just the mechanic. He's ~160lbs, good rider/racer. Been running the coil that came on the bike with no real complaints. I guess it can feel a bit harsh sometimes, whatever exactly "harsh" means. Less plush than the 2012 26" Demo he graduated from (plush - another super unspecific word).

It seems like most of the old photos of the pros (pre-29er) show the progressive link, and I've read racers/mechanics talk about it. But I also keep asking myself - if the progressive link is better, and they already manufacture it, why don't they spec and ship bikes with the progressive link installed? Is the OEM link better for some people or conditions?

Haha. Think of plush as in how smooth or easy the beginning of the stroke progresses. Example, on my demo I can push down ever so slightly on the seat and the shock is already moving. Whereas with my trail bike, I have to push a lot harder to get it to break. The demo is more plush than the trail bike... it works through the top end of travel a lot smoother than the trail bike.

Harsh is kinda the same thing. It feel extremely stiff on him as it’s worming through the travel. If this is the case, the progressive link will only make things more harsh the deeper he goes.

Harsh could also be the rebound adjustments are a little fast, and the compression is a little too firm. I’m not sure of your expertise in terms of adjusting these, and I don’t mean to install your intelligence if this is something you’ve already tried. But maybe try opening the compression (-) and adding a touch more rebound (+). This will slow things down and make it a little smoother as it goes through the travel.

With all that being said... the purpose for most of us desiring the progressive link is because we frequently bottom the bike out. And we don’t want to just up the spring to prevent that, as doing that will screw with our sag. So we go with the progressive link to give us more support as we blow through the travel, without compromising sag and other adjustments. If your son isn’t bottoming our constantly, then I wouldn’t say the progressive link is necessary.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 17:01 Quote
The 2018 comes with the progressive link. The S works.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 21:29 Quote
Pretty much. The progressive link does work. I had to run the x2 jammed full of spacers on my 2016 but once I got the 18 sworks with the link went back to Ttx ohlins and it was fantastic.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 8:38 Quote
The guy I messaged at Specialized tech support is telling me I have a progressive link. I've asked "Why doesn't it look like any other progressive link I've seen in photos (not like the one available as a part on the website, not like the one in pics of Finn or Loic's older 27.5 bikes)?"

The progressive links I've seen have the trunion mount, mine mounts directly.

They also say the progressive link available as an aftermarket part only fits the 2014-17 Demos.

I don't think any of that is correct, and it's pretty frustrating. I think he's wrong that I have a progressive link, and I think he's wrong that the link they sell will only fit Demos through 2017. But to prove the 2014-17 link would fit my bike I'd have to buy one and hope for the best, which sucks.

To the other comments, we also have several springs and have tested them to get the lightest one that won't bottom out. The rebound is set ok and we've played with the compression. The bike is fine as is, we're just trying to decide if it could ride better with the progressive link.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 9:34 Quote
I'm pretty certain that is not the progressive link, the only way it could be is if the point at which the shock mounts in actually in a different position to the standard one, as this is the point that changes to make it more progressive.

Just took these pics.

Progressive link

Standard

The pro link has machine marks on the inner surface, standard is smooth, pro link the hollow in the midlle is more like a true triangle, standard is trapazoid, pro link is machined from one piece, standard is two halfs welded.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 11:15 Quote
mikebeeee wrote:
The guy I messaged at Specialized tech support is telling me I have a progressive link. I've asked "Why doesn't it look like any other progressive link I've seen in photos (not like the one available as a part on the website, not like the one in pics of Finn or Loic's older 27.5 bikes)?"

The progressive links I've seen have the trunion mount, mine mounts directly.

They also say the progressive link available as an aftermarket part only fits the 2014-17 Demos.

I don't think any of that is correct, and it's pretty frustrating. I think he's wrong that I have a progressive link, and I think he's wrong that the link they sell will only fit Demos through 2017. But to prove the 2014-17 link would fit my bike I'd have to buy one and hope for the best, which sucks.

To the other comments, we also have several springs and have tested them to get the lightest one that won't bottom out. The rebound is set ok and we've played with the compression. The bike is fine as is, we're just trying to decide if it could ride better with the progressive link.

Definitely not the progressive link.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
Easiest way to tell is the cast vs machined finish.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 5:03 Quote
Specialized tech guy looked into it more and confirmed what was relatively obvious - it's not a progressive link. Don't have confirmation that the "2014-17" link will fit a 2019, but I really think it will. I've asked a follow-up question to them to see if they will confirm. Bit disappointing that they switched all the bikes over to the progressive link but I somehow got one, in 2019, with the old style, and now have to shell out $ to get the one that they recognized was preferable and had otherwise been spec'ing in 2019.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 9:21 Quote
mikebeeee wrote:
Specialized tech guy looked into it more and confirmed what was relatively obvious - it's not a progressive link. Don't have confirmation that the "2014-17" link will fit a 2019, but I really think it will. I've asked a follow-up question to them to see if they will confirm. Bit disappointing that they switched all the bikes over to the progressive link but I somehow got one, in 2019, with the old style, and now have to shell out $ to get the one that they recognized was preferable and had otherwise been spec'ing in 2019.

Did you get the bike from new ?

If so don't pay for the link, tell them that the bike has been sold to you under false information, you deserve that link for free man.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
Yup, bought it new. I will ask about getting a replacement, progressive linkage for free, it does seem pretty bogus for them to say "we put it on all newer bikes, we're not sure why it wasn't on yours." I mean, they're not obligated to send me one, but it's kind of a crappy situation.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
mikebeeee wrote:
Yup, bought it new. I will ask about getting a replacement, progressive linkage for free, it does seem pretty bogus for them to say "we put it on all newer bikes, we're not sure why it wasn't on yours." I mean, they're not obligated to send me one, but it's kind of a crappy situation.

That is a terrible excuse and dredful customer service if they say that and not give you a new link.

I would put it to them in a way that they can't really say no to, you bought that bike on the basis that it had the progressive link, they admitted all the new bikes should have the new link, why you being made to put up with having a ' downgraded/old ' part that was not requested, nor were you told about it only finding out through your own research onthe Specialized demo owners club on Pinkbike.com.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 14:20 Quote
The progressive link did not come on all 2018 and 2019 demos pretty sure it was only on the S. works

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 14:28 Quote
Ah that could change things then.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011408
Mobile Version of Website