Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 15:10 Quote
I’d still ask for one. See what they say. Sometimes companies bend over backward to have great customer service. Keeps customers around.
I just found a minor paint crack in my brand new kona process. They were going to send me a new frame that isn’t the color I like, so I got a little aggressive with them and now they are sending me a brand new complete bike in the color I like... I know completely different situation. But sometimes companies will sacrifice some coin to retain customers.

But again, if it’s only offered on the s works, they don’t really need to give you one. Lol.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 3:05 Quote
Ugh.. why would it be the progressive link on the alloy models ?

`Demo 8 Progressive Link provides you with the option to increase bottom-out resistance on 2015-2017 Carbon Demo 8 frames.` - Specialized own website

It's a carbon thing because when they were new they cost like $1,500 bucks !

Not sure why they told you different on the phone tho.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 10:03 Quote
adkrider wrote:
The progressive link did not come on all 2018 and 2019 demos pretty sure it was only on the S. works
correct! only s-works.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
Beer New chainring fitted and headset spacers (finally !) a nice purple finish Fab
(Those are 10mm chainring bolt's they fit a single chain ring with bashguard. If you want to run just the chain ring then you'd need the 6.5mm bolt's.)

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 5:36 Quote
[Quote="CarolineHix"]Ugh.. why would it be the progressive link on the alloy models ?

Why WOULDN'T it be the progressive link on the alloy models? Best I can tell, the progressive link is alloy, not carbon, so no weight difference between the links, IDK why the progressive link would be considered higher-end and somehow appropriate for an S-works model but not alloy.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 6:46 Quote
[Quote="mikebeeee"]
CarolineHix wrote:
Ugh.. why would it be the progressive link on the alloy models ?

Why WOULDN'T it be the progressive link on the alloy models? Best I can tell, the progressive link is alloy, not carbon, so no weight difference between the links, IDK why the progressive link would be considered higher-end and somehow appropriate for an S-works model but not alloy.

For the exact same reason they progressively put higher end components on their lineup up bikes. To drive interest in the higher end models to increase revenue.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
To be fair i don't think it's mentioned in any of the spec sheet's like brakes or other component's.

Eek But it seem's like an odd thing to be annoyed about. Like if you're bottoming out a lot then maybe it would be better to invest in a different spring ?

I mean take brakes for example. They all do the same thing in the end, Does it really matter if you can adjust the contact point for an few extra hundred buck's ?

If you do pursuit this tho i would be curious if specialized will give you replacement or discount lol Razz

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 9:03 Quote
I have a 2017 S-Works demo 8 and the progressive link didn't come on mine, do you think I can call and ask them to send me one if the carbon bikes are supposed to have one?

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 10:06 Quote
No, only alloy user's are allowed to ask for one lol

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
I knew there was something to it that I was missing!!

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 13:18 Quote
it was on 18 and newer S-works.

Brakes and suspension are the 2 corners you don't cut. Get the best you can afford.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 7:36 Quote
Smile of course. But this seem's more like an aftermarket product that's optional. If it was essential then it would have been included in the box for all models.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 11:41 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
Smile of course. But this seem's more like an aftermarket product that's optional. If it was essential then it would have been included in the box for all models.

Thanks so much for clearing things up for me Caroline.

Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 5:16 Quote
On the subject of grievance's tho. What part's of the bike don't ya'll guys like ? (Not specifically the frame but as a whole)

For me it's been silly thing's that make you think.. WHY ?

1. Derailleur cable limiter thing (The idea is that because you don't have the first 3 sprockets (stock demo 8 alloy's) It's there to prevent you from accidently stretching the cable.. but actually all it does is allow you to stretch the cable because it still click's up a gear lol !

2. Headset. Literally everything about it is stupid. From using a starnut (which has potential to slip eventually) as well as only a single stem bolt for the stem (yes i know there is 2 stanchion bolts.. but every other bike has 2. it would have prevented a lot of anger if it didnt have a chance to slip in the first place Really Mad )

3. Internal cable routing. Don't know how many of you had the same problem but the shifter cable.. (They should have had 1 hole either side of the frame, it would have looked nicer too)

4. Bearings. Just yeh... If it click's or creaks it's probably because of those.

5. Bolt's. Kinda a minor issue but there's lots of places for rust to build up which can be a pain if you ever need to change part's as well as potential for rounding them out.

Apart from that it's been a nice experience. Of course there are always general maintenence like new brake pads/casettes/tyres etc but you have to change those anyway.

Haven't had any wheel/rim/suspension problems, nothing has snapped or broke. Beer

Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 9:00 Quote
None of the above are issues for me.... my derailleur limiter stops it on the last gear. Headset has zero issues. The star nut isn’t going to slip if you properly install and properly torque it. Bearings, well bearings are just bearings and will creak no matter what after they are worn. We all wish they made magical unicorn juice bearings that lasted forever.

The only complaint I have about the bike is that I live in Colorado and the summers are short so most of the year is spent looking at the bike rather than riding it Frown

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009258
Mobile Version of Website