Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
AnswerPR wrote:
mikebeeee wrote:
The guy I messaged at Specialized tech support is telling me I have a progressive link. I've asked "Why doesn't it look like any other progressive link I've seen in photos (not like the one available as a part on the website, not like the one in pics of Finn or Loic's older 27.5 bikes)?"

The progressive links I've seen have the trunion mount, mine mounts directly.

They also say the progressive link available as an aftermarket part only fits the 2014-17 Demos.

I don't think any of that is correct, and it's pretty frustrating. I think he's wrong that I have a progressive link, and I think he's wrong that the link they sell will only fit Demos through 2017. But to prove the 2014-17 link would fit my bike I'd have to buy one and hope for the best, which sucks.

To the other comments, we also have several springs and have tested them to get the lightest one that won't bottom out. The rebound is set ok and we've played with the compression. The bike is fine as is, we're just trying to decide if it could ride better with the progressive link.

hello. I know the answer to this question) I also sent letters to Specialized, the answer was the same. Link progression goes for carbon frames. It is not suitable for aluminum frames. Aluminum frames come with standard links from 2016-2020. This is due to the fact that when installed on an aluminum frame, on shock absorbers, the rebound regulator touches the progression link. on shock absorbers ohlins, Rock Shox where you can remove the rebound control, there will be no problems. For carbon frames, the front mount of the shock absorber has a higher point, on aluminum, the shock absorber is mounted lower in the front mounting, this is due to the bent lower tube of the aluminum version. I have a 2017 frame aluminum version with Öhlins shock and everything is installed, without a rebound control.

Yes that's totaly true, however if you sell your stock link probably you will void your frame warranty, that's because is you send the frame to warranty they might see that the link is not the original and therefore not compatible with alloy demos.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 14:19 Quote
afonsomontezuma wrote:
AnswerPR wrote:
mikebeeee wrote:
The guy I messaged at Specialized tech support is telling me I have a progressive link. I've asked "Why doesn't it look like any other progressive link I've seen in photos (not like the one available as a part on the website, not like the one in pics of Finn or Loic's older 27.5 bikes)?"

The progressive links I've seen have the trunion mount, mine mounts directly.

They also say the progressive link available as an aftermarket part only fits the 2014-17 Demos.

I don't think any of that is correct, and it's pretty frustrating. I think he's wrong that I have a progressive link, and I think he's wrong that the link they sell will only fit Demos through 2017. But to prove the 2014-17 link would fit my bike I'd have to buy one and hope for the best, which sucks.

To the other comments, we also have several springs and have tested them to get the lightest one that won't bottom out. The rebound is set ok and we've played with the compression. The bike is fine as is, we're just trying to decide if it could ride better with the progressive link.

hello. I know the answer to this question) I also sent letters to Specialized, the answer was the same. Link progression goes for carbon frames. It is not suitable for aluminum frames. Aluminum frames come with standard links from 2016-2020. This is due to the fact that when installed on an aluminum frame, on shock absorbers, the rebound regulator touches the progression link. on shock absorbers ohlins, Rock Shox where you can remove the rebound control, there will be no problems. For carbon frames, the front mount of the shock absorber has a higher point, on aluminum, the shock absorber is mounted lower in the front mounting, this is due to the bent lower tube of the aluminum version. I have a 2017 frame aluminum version with Öhlins shock and everything is installed, without a rebound control.

Yes that's totaly true, however if you sell your stock link probably you will void your frame warranty, that's because is you send the frame to warranty they might see that the link is not the original and therefore not compatible with alloy demos.

yes, but assuming that the links on the frames are aluminum and carbon until the progressive link is interchangeable. They are completely identical, the geometry of the bike does not change. In the production of the link, they did not take into account that on the aluminum version the rebound controller will interfere. It was easier to say that you need to buy a carbon version of the frame and link. But in fact, there are no changes with the loaded parts of the aluminum frame. But sending your frames for a guarantee is better with the usual link.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/18057297/

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 18:24 Quote
Yes. Do you feel the bike more progressive with that link?
I have both
I have one demo 8 s works frame to sell and my demo 8 alloy just like yours with same colour
And i was thinking about swaping the links
The progressive one to my alloy demo and the stock one to the s works.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 0:27 Quote
afonsomontezuma wrote:
I have both
I have one demo 8 s works frame to sell and my demo 8 alloy just like yours with same colour

Yes, there is a progression with a new link. But I would like more progression. I have a lot of data on ohlins suspension settings. I am a suspension service. I changed the factory settings, tunes. The compression settings on the dyno stand have a curve that increases significantly from the middle of the stroke of the shock absorber. I weigh 73 kg. I use 434 spring, with a sag of 25%

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 1:05 Quote
Do you know the progression curve of the aluminum frame without the progression link? My demo sometimes feels a bit unpredictable, I’m guessing from regression somewhere in the curve. I feel this with the DHX 5.0, and an industry sales guy told me my Öhlins would fix that feeling.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 3:36 Quote
AnswerPR wrote:
afonsomontezuma wrote:
I have both

Yes, there is a progression with a new link. But I would like more progression. I have a lot of data on ohlins suspension settings. I am a suspension service. I changed the factory settings, tunes. The compression settings on the dyno stand have a curve that increases significantly from the middle of the stroke of the shock absorber. I weigh 73 kg. I use 434 spring, with a sag of 25%
Do you have the graph of both links? To see de diference?
I believe the progression with the progressive link is higher in the carbon frame than it is in the alloy one, because of the higher front shock mount.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 4:02 Quote
mmoon wrote:
Do you know the progression curve of the aluminum frame without the progression link? My demo sometimes feels a bit unpredictable, I’m guessing from regression somewhere in the curve. I feel this with the DHX 5.0, and an industry sales guy told me my Öhlins would fix that feeling.

When i bought my demo, it came with ohlins
I tried it a couple times and find the ohlins shock to be very linear, i think that the bottom out ajuster(that dhx5 and rc4 have) is crucial in this frame, so i swaped my ohlins to an fox rc4 kashima because it has bottom out ajuster, and i find the bike having mutch more middle stroke support.
The regression curve happens somewhere around the last 20% of stroke, once it passes middle stoke i feel no more support with ohlins
Here you can see the s-works demo curve in comparison with the yt tues, however this curve is from the 2016 demo sworks which means the link is not the progressive one, thats a stock link in carbon fiber

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 5:26 Quote
I have ohlins shock absorber curves with various shim stacks. these are not frame leverage graphs.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 6:14 Quote
AnswerPR wrote:
I have ohlins shock absorber curves with various shim stacks. these are not frame leverage graphs.
Can you show them?

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 8:40 Quote
hi, mates!
Pls let me know how 2.75" spring works on demo 2017 frame?
I saw a lot of rigs which were built with 2.75" spring
and i cant understand how? if shock is 240\76
thanx

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 7:11 Quote
NicoRides wrote:
Hey I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 2016-2019 Demo 650b frame from the blem list, came with no rear axle and specialized has no service parts and are not making any more. Does anyone have a rear axle they are willing to sell? Its the odd square tapered 135x12 axle. Please help me out otherwise this frame is a waste. Thanks!

Found one?

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 13:50 Quote
chaser777 wrote:
hi, mates!
Pls let me know how 2.75" spring works on demo 2017 frame?
I saw a lot of rigs which were built with 2.75" spring
and i cant understand how? if shock is 240\76
thanx

give me your mail address

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 23:23 Quote
Hey guys, what do you think? Demo 8.1 Carbon 2016 non-drive-side...Confused You can't feel it with your fingernail if you go over it.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 2:20 Quote
She’s done for. All mine cracked in the same spot. These carbon frames are appalling.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 2:36 Quote
Brasher wrote:
She’s done for. All mine cracked in the same spot. These carbon frames are appalling.

So you made the experience? Is there actually a danger that it will break or would it theoretically still be drivable and only the surface structure be damaged or the paint?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008248
Mobile Version of Website