Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 3:08 Quote
I had 2 frames crack in the exact same spot. The reason is the carbon in that particular area is much thinner than the other side. Wether or not it would fail catastrophically I wasn’t prepared to take the risk. Specialized replaced both frames without hesitation.

The second one I had ultrasounded and where the cracks appeared it was 0.4mm thick where the other side was 3.5mm thick.

I think bigbird on here had the exact same thing happen to him recently. Same spot. I think a lot of people would be riding bikes with the same problem but either don’t notice it, or think it’s just a paint defect.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 3:18 Quote
Brasher wrote:
I had 2 frames crack in the exact same spot. The reason is the carbon in that particular area is much thinner than the other side. Wether or not it would fail catastrophically I wasn’t prepared to take the risk. Specialized replaced both frames without hesitation.

The second one I had ultrasounded and where the cracks appeared it was 0.4mm thick where the other side was 3.5mm thick.

I think bigbird on here had the exact same thing happen to him recently. Same spot. I think a lot of people would be riding bikes with the same problem but either don’t notice it, or think it’s just a paint defect.

It seems to be bad news for me Cry

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 7:16 Quote
dh-corn wrote:
Brasher wrote:

Just get it replaced, it’s free. Why take the risk?

... unless you bought it second hand. In that case, god speed! Lol

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 7:34 Quote
What if you did buy second hand and you were trying to go through specialized for a replacement? Is there any way of getting around the system if you still are in contact with the first owner? I have my frame wrapped so I can't see it anyways but just for future references.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 7:45 Quote
phuley94 wrote:
What if you did buy second hand and you were trying to go through specialized for a replacement? Is there any way of getting around the system if you still are in contact with the first owner? I have my frame wrapped so I can't see it anyways but just for future references.

I doubt they will give you a replacement if you are second owner. They MIGHT help out with replacement cost though, maybe a discount.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 8:01 Quote
patch92 wrote:
dh-corn wrote:
Brasher wrote:

I´ve got the bill.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
dh-corn wrote:
patch92 wrote:
dh-corn wrote:

I´ve got the bill.

bummer. reAch out see if they can help

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 4:45 Quote
Rolleyes BB started making that crack sound again. So i've decided to buy new part's this time.
(The last time i used new bearing's but the old scratched up/damaged spacers) so that's probably what caused it to break again. (And riding in the rain doesn't help lol)

Before i go about fitting it. Do you guy's put any grease on the spacers or bearing seal's to prevent them wearing/rubbing too much ?

The last time i put grease on everything in hope that it would keep water and stuff out.. but now im thinking that all grease does is attract dirt and will wear the bearings even faster ?? Very confused
(Not talking about the grease inside the bearing but outside)

Of course grease is going to be used on the outer race of the bearing when installing, but everything else not sure about :/

(The outer spacers have seal's around them which are the same diameter as the outer bearing race which is supposed to keep dirt out)

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 8:10 Quote
Grease everything with a decent quality waterproof grease. It acts as an extra seal to stop water getting in. Every 100 hours of riding or so I take apart my hubs and bottom bracket and renew the grease.

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 9:04 Quote
Out of interest (CarolineHix) where did you get the BB bearing set ?

(I'm in the UK)

Also see my next post !

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
Can anyone advise the bearing list etc. for the Demo Alloy (2017-2019),or even better post a link or the correct schematic drawing !?

I've searched everywhere and ultimately all Specialized UK could send me was either for the new/current Demo 29 or the older Demo, previous to mine.( the one up to 2014/2015?).

As the Carbon version came out a year before the alloy in 2016 and the rear 'triangles' are the same then the same details can be used but I can't get those either.

It seems there is confusion with Specialized themselves because the Demo alloy was sold in 2019 but of course the Demo 29 came out during the year as well.

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 13:01 Quote
Bought from bike24.com literally a couple days ago. Search for 'MY15' and it will come up with parts for the carbon model. (Which will fit 2017-2019 alloy's as well)

And i get bearings from kineticbearings.com

Heres the pages of the stuff i've bought:

BB outer spacer - https://www.bike24.com/p2285824.html
BB inner spacer - https://www.bike24.com/p2285783.html
BB - https://www.bike24.com/p2285811.html

Headset bearings - https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/mh-p03k-headset-bearing.html
Main pivot bearings - https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/6710-2rs.html

I haven't had to replace chainstay/seatstay or link bearing's yet so no idea what they are. Eek
Hope this helps tup

Edit - Agreed, it would of been nice to have a manual that actually tell's you what you need. The only manual available is that FSR 2015 pdf ?

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 19:45 Quote
steel4real wrote:
Can anyone advise the bearing list etc. for the Demo Alloy (2017-2019),or even better post a link or the correct schematic drawing !?

I've searched everywhere and ultimately all Specialized UK could send me was either for the new/current Demo 29 or the older Demo, previous to mine.( the one up to 2014/2015?).

As the Carbon version came out a year before the alloy in 2016 and the rear 'triangles' are the same then the same details can be used but I can't get those either.

It seems there is confusion with Specialized themselves because the Demo alloy was sold in 2019 but of course the Demo 29 came out during the year as well.

Here’s a link to an entire suspension pivot kit for the 16-18 alloy demo. The 19 (pre 29er) is the same as the 18. Been ordering pivot bearings from them for years now.

Link:
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/SBKSPE30A.html

Edit: if you’re only looking for the schematics and want to know the specific bearing sizes for certain pivots, just email them and I bet they will get it to you.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 at 4:32 Quote
bigquotesHere’s a link to an entire suspension pivot kit for the 16-18 alloy demo.
Where da link ? Very confused

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 at 6:27 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
bigquotesHere’s a link to an entire suspension pivot kit for the 16-18 alloy demo.
Where da link ? Very confused

Lol thanks. Edited link in

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005783
Mobile Version of Website