Specialized demo owners club

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized demo owners club
Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 19:46 Quote
Warranty
Hi all,

Anyone seen this delimitation - cracking on the frame at the upper shock eyelet? Not reassuring. Anyone experienced something similar on their bikes? I'm 99% sure the delamination grew over the last month or so and you can tell through the clear that a crack is starting to be visible. Demo SWorks 2016

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
Hi all , I have Specialized Demo 8 S-Works with 11mm carbon from 2014.And I dont know if these are cracks in the carbon or the paint,they have not become bigger and there are no creaking sounds ( or idk ).So if anyone can tell me more if this damage I will be glad to kill myself if my frame is not usable anymore (jokes aside).I have riden it a lot since I noticed these cracks ,the one with a transparent sticker on it is from an impact when I fell and I have monitored it ever sence that I dont see any change.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
Looks like paint to me. You’ll be fine

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
Get rid of the foil so that you/we can have a better look at it

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 9:57 Quote
The one with the sticker over it worries me a bit, with the impact fractures below the impact mark, though if it's not grown I would worry a bit less.

This is what mine looked like when the frame cracked, looks quite different but it's in a different area too.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 1:08 Quote
Hi guys, I don't actually own a demo at the moment. But i'm considering picking one up. However, one of my main concerns is i HATE loud bikes, Noise wise, is the Demo 8 fairly quiet? Definitly would be running Onyx hubs etc to keep everything super quiet. as well as that, what are some common issues i should know before I go burn $5,000+ on a custom build ( i don't like the demo 29) Also, does anyone have experience with the Progressive link on the demo 8? Does it help a ton when using a coil over the normal link?
Thanks!

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
Welcome to the club! Demos are pretty quite IMO. I can never hear chainslap, I never get creeks (knock on wood) and with onyx hubs you'll be gliding down the mountain. The problems that people seem to have is that the carbon around the drivetrain is fairly thin and is prone to cracking, and the bushings on the shock and frame tend to wear pretty quickly (if you go back through this forum you'll see what to replace them with). I personally don't have the progressive link but others in this group have said it helps a ton. I'm sure someone else will comment with more things to say but overall the Demo has been the best bike, nothing bad to say about it at all. I have the 17' sworks demo 8 for reference.

MTBrandonLee wrote:
Hi guys, I don't actually own a demo at the moment. But i'm considering picking one up. However, one of my main concerns is i HATE loud bikes, Noise wise, is the Demo 8 fairly quiet? Definitly would be running Onyx hubs etc to keep everything super quiet. as well as that, what are some common issues i should know before I go burn $5,000+ on a custom build ( i don't like the demo 29) Also, does anyone have experience with the Progressive link on the demo 8? Does it help a ton when using a coil over the normal link?
Thanks!

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 16:57 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Thanks!

I'll be honest, I had 3 of them (carbon) cracked 2 of them. Rage quit and got a commencal.

They are not particularly quiet, I'm also a fan of a silent bike so I do the usual fluffy velcro on brake lines, internally lagged the lines etc, mastic tape on areas of chain slap, tighten the clutch a ton etc and it still wasn't exactly silent. The rear shock slop with the rose mounts was very annoying until I went to a conventional bushing/pin arrangement.

The 135mm rear hub is just stupid, I can feel the rear rim flex in any fast berm, causing the rear rotor to rub.

The progressive link was very good however and is a must do IMO. Particularly if you are a bigger dude. They are also a bit of a pain in the ass to work on, few special tools required. Not the worst bike in that regard (devinci wilson cough cough) but compared to others a pain.

If I was to do go back in time, an alloy with the progressive link is the way to go. The alloys still look swoopy and sexy.

Hope that helps. I had some great times with that bike, and some really awful ones. There are better bikes on the market now.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 18:42 Quote
I just finished building up a new Demo Race that I decided to go full 27.5" with, for now...

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 20:10 Quote
Brasher wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Thanks!

I'll be honest, I had 3 of them (carbon) cracked 2 of them. Rage quit and got a commencal.

They are not particularly quiet, I'm also a fan of a silent bike so I do the usual fluffy velcro on brake lines, internally lagged the lines etc, mastic tape on areas of chain slap, tighten the clutch a ton etc and it still wasn't exactly silent. The rear shock slop with the rose mounts was very annoying until I went to a conventional bushing/pin arrangement.

The 135mm rear hub is just stupid, I can feel the rear rim flex in any fast berm, causing the rear rotor to rub.

The progressive link was very good however and is a must do IMO. Particularly if you are a bigger dude. They are also a bit of a pain in the ass to work on, few special tools required. Not the worst bike in that regard (devinci wilson cough cough) but compared to others a pain.

If I was to do go back in time, an alloy with the progressive link is the way to go. The alloys still look swoopy and sexy.

Hope that helps. I had some great times with that bike, and some really awful ones. There are better bikes on the market now.

Feelin ya with that Devinci wilson. gorgeous looking bike. but a nightmare to work on. I was indeed wondering about that 135mm rear end. on average do you go through a wheel or 2 every season? or do the spokes end up like noodles after a few days of park usage? Also. in particular where did you crack your demo's?

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 21:19 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Brasher wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Thanks!

Feelin ya with that Devinci wilson. gorgeous looking bike. but a nightmare to work on. I was indeed wondering about that 135mm rear end. on average do you go through a wheel or 2 every season? or do the spokes end up like noodles after a few days of park usage? Also. in particular where did you crack your demo's?

On that bike I had DT Swiss EX471's. I'd have to tension the spokes more than a boost or 150mm rear end for sure.

They all cracked at the bottom bracket junction on the non drive side, same as a few guys on here.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
[Quote="keju"]I just finished building up a new Demo Race that I decided to go full 27.5" with, for now...

Jesus that thing looks so right with 650 how she ride

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
[Quote="justinhoelzl"]
keju wrote:
I just finished building up a new Demo Race that I decided to go full 27.5" with, for now...

Jesus that thing looks so right with 650 how she ride

Dialing in the upper/lower air chambers on the Ohlins took some work... But by the end of the day at the bike park it was feeling really nice. Bike felt like it was flying smoothly through the techy/chunky sections of downhill trails.

Posted: 15 hours ago Quote
Can someone tell me please, what headset i need for new Demo Race frame-kit?

Thank you

Posted: 13 hours ago Quote
Eek Headsets are definatly the most elusive thing on the planet. Don't think we even worked out what was on the older model demo's.

On a side note - Gotta change bearing's soon (They are worn so much i think they will just fall apart.. another enjoyable day of smacking with a hammer) tup

Here's what the SRAM BB30 assembly kit contain's. Eek
(Top left .. no idea, top right - Wavey washer, BB30 bearings, 2 dust covers, 2 spacers, And c-clips ? (basically to prevent the bearings going in too far)

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009808
Mobile Version of Website