Best all mountain 29ers

PB Forum :: 29ers
Best all mountain 29ers
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 19:18 Quote
Hi pinkbike, I've been riding a 26 inch Santa Cruz Blur LT from way back in 2007. It rides vary well but I have decided that the time for a new bike has come. I recently rode the new Santa Cruz Hightower and absolutely loved it. I would like a bike around that range of 140mm of travel but haven't ridden enough bikes in the category to have a strong opinion. Other bikes in that range that I like are the Intense Primer 29er and the YT Jeffsy. The most I could justify spending is 4 grand and I live in the U.S. so Canyon and Cube are not options.

Thanks,
Zach Keaton

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 12:43 Quote
Take a look at the NukeProof Mega 290. Frames are affordable and you can find great deals on complete bikes with solid builds.

I had my heart set on the Hightower but I came across a deal on the Mega 290 that I could not pass up. I only have a couple rides on it but I really like it so far. The chainstays are a little longer than the latest breed of AM 29ers but it has not bothered me yet.

Good luck on your bike search!

Posted: Oct 28, 2016 at 16:59 Quote
At the $4000 price point there are so many great 29ers that it's hard to know where to begin, so I'll just rattle off a few that come to mind.

Ibis Ripley
Niner Rip 9
Yeti ASR

Those are in no particular order, and I think they all have build kits that retail around that price point which means you should be able to find deals on even higher end bikes or build kits in your price range. Happy hunting! Let us know what you get. :-)

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 16:55 Quote
Evil following with a 140 fork.....hooligan setup.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2016 at 9:17 Quote
Intense prime looks to be a great bike, but hard to do under 4k

If you can build yourself, the Canfield Riot can work. This is what I'll be building. They just started to sell full bikes as well.

Posted: Dec 27, 2016 at 20:46 Quote
I have been hearing a lot of good things about the YT Jeffsy but good luck finding one if you ride a large as they are sold out of them.
Have you thought about the Specilaized 6fattie? Good amount of travel and all around great bike.
All the bikes mentioned above sound like great performers it all depends on what you like but I would suggest if you are able to do so, go and ride a few different models. Most shops should let you rent or demo a bike for little or no cost.
Good luck with your search as I'm in the same boat but with a $3k or so budget.

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 at 7:38 Quote
Will highly recommande specialized old enduro with 155/160 mm travel it's a weapon for all moutain. Have on it was my first 29er and my first time with this brand. (I'm not a S fanboy)
Actually it is one of the best bike I ever ridden, it's really capable with a good set up and still light.
Wink

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 at 14:57 Quote
MisterJones wrote:
Will highly recommande specialized old enduro with 155/160 mm travel it's a weapon for all moutain. Have on it was my first 29er and my first time with this brand. (I'm not a S fanboy)
Actually it is one of the best bike I ever ridden, it's really capable with a good set up and still light.
Wink
I totally agree . . .spez Enduro (2014 on) With the right suspension it's a mini DH bike that pedals well.

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 13:51 Quote
Owner of a jeffsy right here done up to more of an enduro bike 160shaft in the fork and a piggyback shock and it will keep up with the dh tracks plus pedal up as well tried the enduro i find 160 to much on the rear for pedal duties!!! I bought the cheap alloy model and striped it back to frame and rebuilt it my way..

Had a whole bunch of 160 bikes and a couple of demos now I just rock the 29er Jeff for everything also santa upgraded the wheelset for me for som lb rims spinning hope pro 4 the thing is just getting better and better....

At 4K budget mind I think I would build a wreckoning/following just for the bragging rights as Yt are a cheaper retailer.

Posted: Mar 2, 2017 at 16:08 Quote
I hear great things about the Trek Remedy 29er.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 19:32 Quote
Ridden and demoed a few of those low, mid travel 29ers this past year and my favorite had to be the Devinci Django.
Only has 120mm rear travel but feels like so much more is there and is so plush. Likes to get going quickly and moves fast. Easy to maneuver for a 29er. The Jeffsy is good too just a bigger hitter.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 8:54 Quote
Ed284 wrote:
Take a look at the NukeProof Mega 290. Frames are affordable and you can find great deals on complete bikes with solid builds.

I had my heart set on the Hightower but I came across a deal on the Mega 290 that I could not pass up. I only have a couple rides on it but I really like it so far. The chainstays are a little longer than the latest breed of AM 29ers but it has not bothered me yet.

Good luck on your bike search!

I'll second this recommendation, I have about 150 miles on my new Mega 290 and its an amazingly dialed machine. I just got back from a trip to Sedona AZ where we had a large group of 20+ guys, all of us on top end machines including Evils, Treks, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Intense and others . Even as the only aluminum framed bike in our entire group it stood out in the crowd as one of the best looking and best performing machines. I've also ridden it extensively around the CO Front Range and it'll see regular further punishment at Trestle and Keystone this summer as well as trips to Marquette and Whistler/Squampton/Pemby this fall.

I expect it to slay everything in front of it, up or down. My XC and DH bikes are going up for sale.

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 at 7:20 Quote
Check out the Rocky Mountain Instinct
kaeton-sf wrote:
Hi pinkbike, I've been riding a 26 inch Santa Cruz Blur LT from way back in 2007. It rides vary well but I have decided that the time for a new bike has come. I recently rode the new Santa Cruz Hightower and absolutely loved it. I would like a bike around that range of 140mm of travel but haven't ridden enough bikes in the category to have a strong opinion. Other bikes in that range that I like are the Intense Primer 29er and the YT Jeffsy. The most I could justify spending is 4 grand and I live in the U.S. so Canyon and Cube are not options.

Thanks,
Zach Keaton

Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 19:41 Quote
Willhegedus wrote:
Check out the Rocky Mountain Instinct
kaeton-sf wrote:

Thanks,
Zach Keaton

I second that on the Rocky Mountain Instinct. Rode one at a local bike fest and it was the biggest surprise for me. I almost bought the demo model.

Posted: Apr 23, 2017 at 8:54 Quote
Check out the new Transition hardtails.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016207
Mobile Version of Website