Boxxer Team and springs

PB Forum :: Downhill
Boxxer Team and springs
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 4, 2016 at 13:25 Quote
My new bike is arriving soon, since I had trouble with Fox bits being on the bike I went for a high spec rig which ships fully rockshox'd out.

The fork is a Rockshox Boxxer Team with Charger Damper upgrade.

My question is this: the forks will have a medium spring in, I'm 15st 1 ish, around 96 kilos.

What are other people doing spring wise on the Boxxer and what rider weight are we talking?

I guess I'm wondering if I'm going to need a firm!

Posted: Nov 4, 2016 at 14:23 Quote
The charger damper is realy gona excel with a fermer spring. Iám 95 kilo's with gear on and i ride the blue spring the red was to soft and do mutch brake dive. The blue spring i have now is perfect your gona like it

Posted: Nov 4, 2016 at 14:37 Quote
So blue is firm right?

Posted: Nov 4, 2016 at 23:37 Quote
MPCarv wrote:
So blue is firm right?

I'm 12st 5 and I run firm (blue). Medium will be ridiculously soft for you.

Have you bought the bike from a shop or had it built? New Teams come with 3 springs medium (fitted) and soft & firm in the box (along with seal kit and 2 top crowns) but you probably wont get them with an off the shelf bike.

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 at 8:11 Quote
bartonz20let wrote:
MPCarv wrote:
So blue is firm right?

I'm 12st 5 and I run firm (blue). Medium will be ridiculously soft for you.

Have you bought the bike from a shop or had it built? New Teams come with 3 springs medium (fitted) and soft & firm in the box (along with seal kit and 2 top crowns) but you probably wont get them with an off the shelf bike.

Canyon sender CF 8. I messaged them and they said comes only with fitted medium.

Question is do I go firm or extra firm? The only ar2e with coil forks.

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 at 9:13 Quote
Id say say buy both firm and extra firm springs, to see what you like.

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 at 9:50 Quote
You could go with the air spring from the world cup which is adjustable in preload and rate. It will match the vivid air nicely.

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 at 9:53 Quote
Def a firm spring for your weight, but I would seriously suggest upgrading to the solo air kit straight away before your stanchions get scratches inside and it's too late.

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 at 9:54 Quote
I went with the air spring after a few rides. No issues with two seasons on it.

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 at 15:17 Quote
pcloadletter wrote:
You could go with the air spring from the world cup which is adjustable in preload and rate. It will match the vivid air nicely.

Thanks for this guys, I see a few of you are advising the air upgrade.... It's not a cheap upgrade though is it? Perhaps I will.

Originally I was getting the Fox 40s air forks.... Anyway. I'll have to have a serious think before the bike comes. I like the flexibility and tune-ability of air. But coils are nice.....

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 at 15:55 Quote
MPCarv wrote:
pcloadletter wrote:

Thanks for this guys, I see a few of you are advising the air upgrade.... It's not a cheap upgrade though is it? Perhaps I will.

Originally I was getting the Fox 40s air forks.... Anyway. I'll have to have a serious think before the bike comes. I like the flexibility and tune-ability of air. But coils are nice.....

Probably cost you like £160 with the required fluids and a pump

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 at 5:15 Quote
Killrockstar wrote:
MPCarv wrote:
pcloadletter wrote:

Probably cost you like £160 with the required fluids and a pump

Balls! Not cheap! Especially when I've broken the bank getting the bike!

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 at 6:09 Quote
Just put the blue spring in and ride the bike the blue spring is for your weight class. All these kids on the block these days buy this buy that. Wen u get the airspring in its not magically gona make u twice the rider you are now or visa versa.

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 at 8:55 Quote
Despite dicks inflammatory wording which we will chalk up to his English not being great.
He is right a firm spring will be just fine.

I simply wanted to give you the optimum advice for the upgrade as it can become out of the question should you choose to do it at a later date due to the scratching of the inner stanchions.

Regards a thirty year old kid.

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 at 10:39 Quote
Killrockstar wrote:
Despite dicks inflammatory wording which we will chalk up to his English not being great.
He is right a firm spring will be just fine.

I simply wanted to give you the optimum advice for the upgrade as it can become out of the question should you choose to do it at a later date due to the scratching of the inner stanchions.

Regards a thirty year old kid.

Ha ha, nicely said! I'm 42 and I still send it! I too try not to get swept along with all the 'get this, buy that' crowd. I know I'm not pro enough to notice such minor tweaks. But I am conscious of not making life harder for myself by having things set up against me.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Before my bike comes I'll get a price from my LBS on the air system. Already know about the spring cost. Where would you buy Killrockstar either the air or spring upgrade / change?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021883
Mobile Version of Website