Why am I #$@&%*! at jumping???

PB Forum :: Downhill
Why am I #$@&%*! at jumping???
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 4, 2016 at 15:50 Quote
I love hitting my local trails because there are some great technical (and really difficult) descents with tricky drop-offs and small kickers. Over the last 5 years or so I've got pretty quick on this type of knarly steep trail but none of that seems to count for #$@&%*! now because...

I've recently discovered the world of bike parks.

I love the flowing lines of the blue runs and like 50% of the red runs but the trouble seems to be that if you want to ride the trickier lines you have to be prepared to hit some big jumps in between.

Now, don't get me wrong - I love jumping. I just seem to be rubbish at it!

As I approach the big jumps I carefully adjust my speed, try to judge length of the jump and how much I need to pop it. I then proceed to carefully shit myself, hold on as tight as I can, cross everything, close my eyes and try to save the terrible landing.

People say time slows down when you're in the air - for me it speeds up.

What am I doing wrong????

The only way I find I can get over the bike safely is to be hanging off the back of it which just feels wrong!!!

Please help!!! My strava segment results depend on it.

Posted: Nov 4, 2016 at 16:51 Quote
ever try some liquid courage? help you loosen up a bit.. Otherwise try filming yourself on smaller jumps. at a bike park maybe just ride one jump over and over till you get it right. if you just ride dont the trail with different jumps youll have a harder time adjusting i think.

Posted: Nov 4, 2016 at 17:12 Quote
I was in the same box as you. I think my biggest problem was that i just overthink it too much and i try to take speed off which just causes me to case it. i would get to stiff on the bike and try to perfect every move before the jump and not just let my body get loose so i could give it a nice pop and send it

Posted: Nov 4, 2016 at 20:15 Quote
Are you pulling up or pushing down?

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 at 2:30 Quote
I've had the same issues, was even considering coaching but in the last few weeks it's just clicked, I wasn't bad but some things were wrong in my technique.

First tip, don't brake anywhere near the ramp, it unsettles the bike and your body position and you tend to rotate forward, if you absolutely have to, rear brakes.

Secondly, if your riding full suspension, faster rebound at the front than on the rear, again, stops over rotation.

Third, pump the transision. By this I mean as your forks compress up the ramp encourage them further with a pump, you will get a nice pop off the lip and better balance in the air.

Lastly, start small but always go slightly over your comfort zone, my biggest gaps are around 30ft, the first time I did them I was totally shit but as I've got used to them I've managed to add a bit of style and all of a sudden the 15fts seem so easy now. I now need to find a bigger jump to push myself on.

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 at 17:23 Quote
Sounds like you need more speed if you have to push the bike forward to land smoothly.

Posted: Nov 11, 2016 at 11:57 Quote
bartonz20let wrote:
I've had the same issues, was even considering coaching but in the last few weeks it's just clicked, I wasn't bad but some things were wrong in my technique.

First tip, don't brake anywhere near the ramp, it unsettles the bike and your body position and you tend to rotate forward, if you absolutely have to, rear brakes.

Secondly, if your riding full suspension, faster rebound at the front than on the rear, again, stops over rotation.

Third, pump the transision. By this I mean as your forks compress up the ramp encourage them further with a pump, you will get a nice pop off the lip and better balance in the air.

Lastly, start small but always go slightly over your comfort zone, my biggest gaps are around 30ft, the first time I did them I was totally shit but as I've got used to them I've managed to add a bit of style and all of a sudden the 15fts seem so easy now. I now need to find a bigger jump to push myself on.

^^^^ great advice

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009085
Mobile Version of Website