2017 Meta 4.2

PB Forum :: Commencal
2017 Meta 4.2
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
luisferreira wrote:
Anyone else noticed a little play in the seatstay/chainstay connection after changing the bearings? (red circle)

The non-drive side or the left side is perfect, i needed some pressure to connect the seatstay with the chainstay and then i screw the little bolt/axle, no issues.

But the drive side / right side, the seatstay connect with the chainstay without any pressure and when i screw the bolt/axle is notorious a little play. Confused

I was planning on doing a full bike strip / rebuild soon, so I'd be interested to know if anyone else had dealt with this issue. Were you replacing with Commencal supplied bearings or upgrading (e.g. Enduro bearings)?

Also - Your raw frame looks great! Did you media blast to get that finish? And where'd you find the Commencal decals? I've been toying with the idea of raw-ing my frame as well, but can't seem to find anyone that has made a set for our frame. I've considered trying to print some myself, but just haven't made the time to actually plan.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 13:28 Quote
TylerJamesHall wrote:
luisferreira wrote:
Anyone else noticed a little play in the seatstay/chainstay connection after changing the bearings? (red circle)

The non-drive side or the left side is perfect, i needed some pressure to connect the seatstay with the chainstay and then i screw the little bolt/axle, no issues.

But the drive side / right side, the seatstay connect with the chainstay without any pressure and when i screw the bolt/axle is notorious a little play. Confused

I was planning on doing a full bike strip / rebuild soon, so I'd be interested to know if anyone else had dealt with this issue. Were you replacing with Commencal supplied bearings or upgrading (e.g. Enduro bearings)?

Also - Your raw frame looks great! Did you media blast to get that finish? And where'd you find the Commencal decals? I've been toying with the idea of raw-ing my frame as well, but can't seem to find anyone that has made a set for our frame. I've considered trying to print some myself, but just haven't made the time to actually plan.

I found this guy in Spain who had these for my V4. He does the 4.2 as well.
https://rotulosvilcho.com/en/bici/1280-commencal-meta-tr-v42-kit1.html

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 14:17 Quote
commental wrote:
TylerJamesHall wrote:
luisferreira wrote:

I found this guy in Spain who had these for my V4. He does the 4.2 as well.
https://rotulosvilcho.com/en/bici/1280-commencal-meta-tr-v42-kit1.html

Thanks for sharing! Going to place an order tonight - Your polish came out great! Gives me hope that I can get my frame in decent shape as well.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 7:05 Quote
TylerJamesHall wrote:
luisferreira wrote:

Hi!

I upgrade my Meta V4.2 with Enduro Bearigns after strip the frame.
About this issue, i dont know how this happen, but i solved the problem with two thin washers. (I suspect this little play was already present before strip the frame)

We have a guy in Portugal who made this kind of custom works (Custom Paints and Raw finish) he did all the work on my frame, strip the frame and then powder coating, but before pwoder coat all the lettering and logos it was painted, this is not decals.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 9:11 Quote
luisferreira wrote:

Mine was like that pretty much out of the box. I put different brakes on so I had the rear end in pieces straight away and noticed it was pretty sloppy. Even with the bolt tight it wasn't pinching the bearings properly like the non drive side. I ended up making a tiny shim out of an aluminum can. Made a huge difference. I put a cut out of the can on top of some wood and lightly tapped the bolt on it to get an imprint, cut the hole out and then roughly cut the outer diameter of the bearing but left a long strip to hang onto to guide it to place when I put it back into the chainstay. Once I got the bolt back in and tight I cut the extra strip off so I couldn't see it. Bit of a screw around but better than sending it back for warranty

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 12:46 Quote
jazzawil wrote:
luisferreira wrote:

Mine was like that pretty much out of the box. I put different brakes on so I had the rear end in pieces straight away and noticed it was pretty sloppy. Even with the bolt tight it wasn't pinching the bearings properly like the non drive side. I ended up making a tiny shim out of an aluminum can. Made a huge difference. I put a cut out of the can on top of some wood and lightly tapped the bolt on it to get an imprint, cut the hole out and then roughly cut the outer diameter of the bearing but left a long strip to hang onto to guide it to place when I put it back into the chainstay. Once I got the bolt back in and tight I cut the extra strip off so I couldn't see it. Bit of a screw around but better than sending it back for warranty

I did the same, put 2 thiny shim side by side with the original washer, as shown below:

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
Such a cool video! Compared to my chaotic experience helping a friend build up his SC Hightower, you seem to approach building from a thoroughly organized / well-planned state of mind. Haha

That finish came out beautiful, making me question if I should bother with paint or just strip the bike and appreciate it raw.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 13:00 Quote
TylerJamesHall wrote:
Such a cool video! Compared to my chaotic experience helping a friend build up his SC Hightower, you seem to approach building from a thoroughly organized / well-planned state of mind. Haha

That finish came out beautiful, making me question if I should bother with paint or just strip the bike and appreciate it raw.

Thank You! Beer

Some photos:

Bike Check

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008069
Mobile Version of Website