Riders who wear glasses, what are your solutions for eyewear while riding?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Riders who wear glasses, what are your solutions for eyewear while riding?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 14, 2016 at 13:47 Quote
Hi,

I'm a glasses wearer and have always relented the fact that they fog up while climbing and don't stay on my face while descending. I've tried anti-fog coatings and had limited success. I'm also aware that my current frame is not designed for activities and as such is not the best to ride with.

I'm interested in what other glasses wearers use while riding. Specific makes and models of frames that are secure and available with a prescription lens option would be welcome. I understand this is likely to be expensive but I'm looking for a long-term solution as I will only be riding more and more.

I've been considering full-face and goggles too as my riding (and my wife!) is starting to demand it. Which goggles can you recommend?

I have a small head and use small size helmets. This may or may not impact what you suggest, but I thought it might be useful.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Al.

Posted: Dec 3, 2016 at 23:12 Quote
I too am wanting to get some new riding glasses that have proper fit and durability but can accept a prescription lens (that way I can even get my insurance to pay for them). I was considering looking at safety glasses options as a backup. Any ideas or input is much appreciated.

Posted: Dec 3, 2016 at 23:54 Quote
You didn't mention it, but can you wear contact lenses? I've worn glasses (and contact lenses) for nearly 20 years. The issue I have with wearing my glasses to ride in, as I tend to choose styles of glasses where the actual lens is quite small, IE my current ones are small rectangular ones with an almost old fashioned frame. However I find them terrible to play golf in or mountainbike I think because the actual viewing area is quite small. I have to actually move my whole head rather than just my eyes (when I have contacts in).

So when I ride, I wear contacts, and I wear a pair of Oakley Racing Jackets with a transition lens, so they're clear in shade and dark in sunlight. They're quite well vented so the only time the fog is when I stop.
But I couldn't imagine having them in a prescription lens.

Posted: Dec 4, 2016 at 8:22 Quote
ChazzMichaelMichaels wrote:
You didn't mention it, but can you wear contact lenses? I've worn glasses (and contact lenses) for nearly 20 years. The issue I have with wearing my glasses to ride in, as I tend to choose styles of glasses where the actual lens is quite small, IE my current ones are small rectangular ones with an almost old fashioned frame. However I find them terrible to play golf in or mountainbike I think because the actual viewing area is quite small. I have to actually move my whole head rather than just my eyes (when I have contacts in).

So when I ride, I wear contacts, and I wear a pair of Oakley Racing Jackets with a transition lens, so they're clear in shade and dark in sunlight. They're quite well vented so the only time the fog is when I stop.
But I couldn't imagine having them in a prescription lens.

My Rx isn't good for contacts according to my optometrist. The Racing Jackets obviously fit well with the helmet, I'll have to check them out. Why can't u imagine them Rx lenses? I have a pair of Bolle Rx sports style sunglasses that kick ass, they just don't fit well with a helmet.

Posted: Dec 4, 2016 at 20:33 Quote
Third best thing I did when using glasses was use rainex on the lenses - really helped cut fogging down. Still use it on the inside of my motorcycle visor.

Second best thing was use contact lenses

Number one best decision I made was laser corrective surgery.

Posted: Dec 4, 2016 at 22:10 Quote
I had a pair of oakley flak jackets with prescriptions that worked well , fog was only slightly an issue. They were good for all type of activities .

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 14:40 Quote
I wear glasses that don't fall off.

But the steaming up is an issue. But they only steam up when i'm sat at the top of a run (I don't do climbing). As soon as I get a bit of air flow over them they clear up.

But then my eyes water.
I ride without goggles (because mega steam up!) and just deal with being a bleary eyed sometimes.

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 9:31 Quote
I wear my Oakley Canteen sunglasses when riding DH and they fit very well in my full face helmet. They never move no matter how sweaty I am or the terrain. Just my experience.

Posted: Dec 11, 2016 at 11:01 Quote
Gunnigoat wrote:
Why can't u imagine them Rx lenses? I have a pair of Bolle Rx sports style sunglasses that kick ass, they just don't fit well with a helmet.

Mainly as I'm so short sighted that I'd hate to have prescription sunglasses, I'd have to take normal glasses with me if I went inside for example.

Posted: Dec 19, 2016 at 3:05 Quote
I'm short sighted. I have used Rapid Eyewear prescription glasses for years. Not sure if I'm allowed to put a link but here it is: http://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/en/sports-prescription-sunglasses/288-rx-sports-glasses-online-uk.html

These are good as you can use standard prescription lenses.

This is the UK store - I'm sure theyre available worldwide.

They do fog up on the colder days, not as much as some sunglasses I've used. Because the prescription lenses are separate to the outer lense, I suppose its almost like double glazing (the inner lense has the wind kept off it so is warmer, the outer lense is always kept cool).

For Downhill I use contacts - though this is a pain when the hayfever/allergies are at their worst in the summer, because it's nto possible to use allegery eye drops and contacts together. Just have to suffer!

I've always ridden with glasses/visors - had enough mud in the eye to not care much for that to happen anymore! I use one of those sports retainer straps to hold glasses on.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005217
Mobile Version of Website