2016 Lyrik Mud Guard Fender Options

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2016 Lyrik Mud Guard Fender Options
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2016 at 18:51 Quote
I can't be the only person that has issues finding a mudguard that fits the Lyrik with decently wide tires.
For reference, I have some 30mm ID and 32mm ID 27.5" wheels, and I run a variety of tires, including DHF WT 2.5", Der Baron Projekt 2.4", Wild Grip'R2, Magic Mary 2.35"
I tried:
Blackburn Barrier fender - little tire mold nobs hit when spinning, but with riding, tire/wheel deflects enough that the knobs catch on it in a very bad way. It also doesn't stay put, and pivots forward and rubs on the tire.
Based on how much the Mudhugger reduced tire clearance on my huge-tire-arch 36, I fear that putting it on a Lyrik will make a decent size tire rub without deflection, and is a no-go (but I haven't tried it yet).
From what I've read the Powa Dfender might work, but it's heavy and huge. I am hoping to find a solution that's a bit less "impressive" with more coverage than the stretchy fabric arch-crown style mudguard.
I found a comparison of 3 fenders on a Pike, but the tire they used was a 2.3 Maxxis which is not comparable to what I like to run.
What are people running? What actually works but doesn't rub with non-skinny tires?
Appreciate any/all input.

Posted: Nov 20, 2016 at 20:30 Quote
I have a MuckyNutz fender on both bikes, running a 2.5 Minion DHF WT. No rub, and that was on a standard hub (100mm). Also have one on the other bike with a boost hub and have tons of clearance.

I just use their basic one, they can be ordered through QBP so your local bike shop should be able to order one. Think its around $15. Additionally, it still allows me to use my Kuat rack which clamps down over the front tire, which is a plus.

Edit - Standard hub is a Pike, boost is a Yari. So both RS forks.

Posted: Nov 21, 2016 at 8:37 Quote
Not got a lyric but I've run both mudhuggers and a POWs defender on pikes and 36s and the defender is a better guard. It's not that much bigger than a hugger and it's not really heavy. The defender mount is great and takes a couple of seconds to either fit it or remove it with no faffing of cable ties. Yes it's expensive compared to the hugger but it's a much better product with better coverage. Now the mud hugger rear guard...... THAT is HUGE!

Posted: Nov 21, 2016 at 10:47 Quote
Lyrik with Mojo Powa Dfender

The Powa Dfender will fit with some small modification to the rubber insert and back plate. Running a 2.3 shorty and have run a 2.4 in there as well, half an inch between the side of the guard and the tyre knobs

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2016 at 20:17 Quote
Nizhoni wrote:
I have a MuckyNutz fender on both bikes, running a 2.5 Minion DHF WT. No rub, and that was on a standard hub (100mm). Also have one on the other bike with a boost hub and have tons of clearance.

I just use their basic one, they can be ordered through QBP so your local bike shop should be able to order one. Think its around $15. Additionally, it still allows me to use my Kuat rack which clamps down over the front tire, which is a plus.

Edit - Standard hub is a Pike, boost is a Yari. So both RS forks.

I'm worried that MuckyNutz will not provide the coverage I need... what are your riding conditions like? Speeds?
I also read on Mudguardz that mudguards for 160 forks may not work for 180s as the larger gap means more rear coverage is required to prevent mud from flying through the gap between crowns.
Thinking powa as it appears to be easily removable for dry days, but I'd like something smaller (i.e. Mudguardz or even like an XL muckynutz) to work.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2016 at 20:17 Quote
sir-hc wrote:

The Powa Dfender will fit with some small modification to the rubber insert and back plate. Running a 2.3 shorty and have run a 2.4 in there as well, half an inch between the side of the guard and the tyre knobs
Is that a Pike or a Lyrik?

Posted: Nov 23, 2016 at 2:01 Quote
I run a Zefal Deflector FM20 with Fox 36's with Schwalbe 2.3's and that has plenty of mudroom.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2016 at 23:16 Quote
36 isn't the problem. Those have miles of clearance, but thank you for contributing anyway Smile

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 13:36 Quote
Would the marsh guard work fine with the lyrik? I've got a lyrik that I'm putting on my bike over the winter and am thinking a mudguard would be a good idea.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 1:52 Quote
SG-Mtn wrote:
Would the marsh guard work fine with the lyrik? I've got a lyrik that I'm putting on my bike over the winter and am thinking a mudguard would be a good idea.

Marshguard (and similar) fit fine. However, they don't do anywhere near as good a job as the powa/mudhugger/rockguardz.
Rode in the mud/wet yesterday with the Powa Dfender fitted, no mud in the eyes and hardly any mud on the front of me, compared to last week in similar conditions with only a marshguard where I was getting mud/water in my eyes constantly.

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 3:42 Quote
sir-hc wrote:
SG-Mtn wrote:

Marshguard (and similar) fit fine. However, they don't do anywhere near as good a job as the powa/mudhugger/rockguardz.
Rode in the mud/wet yesterday with the Powa Dfender fitted, no mud in the eyes and hardly any mud on the front of me, compared to last week in similar conditions with only a marshguard where I was getting mud/water in my eyes constantly.

Hi,

Sorry for reviving an old topic.
I just purchased the Dfender for my lyrik only to find out it would not fit.
Any tips on how to modify it to fit the lyric 2016-2017 version?

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 4:22 Quote
photo
photo
photo

The rubber insert needs to be thinned out (mostly on the bottom section) so that the guard slides over the arch, when looking down from above you should see the two square holes. The two round grey nubs will need to be trimmed (the lyrik arch is deeper and taller than pike)

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 5:29 Quote
sir-hc wrote:
The rubber insert needs to be thinned out (mostly on the bottom section) so that the guard slides over the arch, when looking down from above you should see the two square holes. The two round grey nubs will need to be trimmed (the lyrik arch is deeper and taller than pike)
Thanks,
I will give it a go. Appreciate your help.

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 12:36 Quote
For some reason I can't get the installation metal plate to go over the arch. Did you use the same metal plate or is that a new modified one?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018031
Mobile Version of Website