Warden v Rune?

PB Forum :: Knolly
Warden v Rune?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 21, 2016 at 8:24 Quote
In the market for something a little different than the kona/norco/giant offerings (nothing wrong with them of course),
The Banshee Rune and Knolly Warden (alloy, due to cost) have caught my eye.
Anyone here ridden both and have a comparison to give?

Im an average rider ( Angry Pirate in Whistler is my idea of challenging fun)with probably below average fitness (so I'll be running a 2x10 till I get fitter).

Any inpuy appreciated.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2016 at 23:31 Quote
I own a 2016 Warden alloy (having upgraded from the Chilcotin) and I've ridden a Spitfire (shorter travel and steeper HA). Both a great bike IMO and have their upsides. No idea of the downsides to be honest.

I'm an instructor at Whistler and have ridden my Warden on almost all the black trails (I'm not much of a jumper, ie. A-Line, but like to ride tech). All the way up from Top to the World, No Joke, Lower Whistler DH, Detroit Rock City (double black), etc. The Warden alloy had zero issues and is an amazing bike. For setup, I have it permanently setup on slack (hole furthest away from seat tube). Stabilized the bike on speed but didn't take away too much for climbing efficiency.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mick

OzMike wrote:
In the market for something a little different than the kona/norco/giant offerings (nothing wrong with them of course),
The Banshee Rune and Knolly Warden (alloy, due to cost) have caught my eye.
Anyone here ridden both and have a comparison to give?

Im an average rider ( Angry Pirate in Whistler is my idea of challenging fun)with probably below average fitness (so I'll be running a 2x10 till I get fitter).

Any inpuy appreciated.

Posted: Nov 23, 2016 at 5:11 Quote
Thanks for the input Mick.
How tall are you/what size frame do you have?

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2016 at 23:25 Quote
I'm 5'9" and ride a medium

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 18:03 Quote
mickmart wrote:
For setup, I have it permanently setup on slack (hole furthest away from seat tube).]

Are you sure about that? On other forum I was reading it is opposite - shock closer to seat tube is slack. And this hole is lower, so rear wheel should be higher, bb lower and HA slacker. I can't check it right now,because my warden is completely disassembled.

EDIT: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=173563

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 10:54 Quote
stereo87 wrote:
mickmart wrote:
For setup, I have it permanently setup on slack (hole furthest away from seat tube).]

Are you sure about that? On other forum I was reading it is opposite - shock closer to seat tube is slack. And this hole is lower, so rear wheel should be higher, bb lower and HA slacker. I can't check it right now,because my warden is completely disassembled.

EDIT: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=173563

100% sure. My friends work at Knolly HQ, plus Noel himself confirmed it too.

As you pull the shock down or back, the front gets more slack.

Here's some info:
http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/knolly-warden-slack-mode-959927.html#post11858244

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 17:56 Quote
mickmart wrote:

So here you say that hole further away from seat tube is slack

mickmart wrote:
As you pull the shock down or back, the front gets more slack.

Now here you write opposite thing.

On the link you provided first comment is that "slack" is closer to seat tube, but later people correct it. And I quickly checked both positions and without measurements it looks like the one closer to seat tube is "slack" position.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2017 at 8:17 Quote
Sorry @stereo87 for the confusion.
====
Final answer on Steep vs Slack

downtube ->\ \ (o)(Y) | | - seat tube

As you pull shock downwards or closer to the seat tube, the front gets slack.

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2017 at 12:49 Quote
Agree with that. Very nice drawing Smile

mickmart wrote:
Sorry @stereo87 for the confusion.
====
Final answer on Steep vs Slack

downtube ->\ \ (o)(Y) | | - seat tube

As you pull shock downwards or closer to the seat tube, the front gets slack.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 2:35 Quote
Have you had any issues dealing with Knolly? I'm trying to get warranty on my Warden and they don't want to know. after initial contact and discussion then they have gone quiet almost seems like they are hoping that I will give up.

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 7:54 Quote
Ive only had to deal with them in regards to spare parts (non-warranty issues).
They were fine to deal with for that, never had to make a warranty claim.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009753
Mobile Version of Website