Whyte free hub removal

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Whyte free hub removal
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 29, 2016 at 13:40 Quote
Hey,

Helping out a friend whose free hub is spinning in both directions. Anyway, have removed cassette and axle from hub but cannot remove the free hub body without some kind of special tool? Or maybe it's simply an 11mm allen key although I've only got a 10mm so cannot confirm

This is the exact bike he has...

http://www.whyte.bike/801-16

The description for the hub is...

Alloy, Cup & Cone, Double Seal, 32 Hole

Does anyone know how to remove this free hub body please?

Thanks!

Tom

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
All you need is a 11mm allen key. I had the same problem because I have the same bike

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 12:54 Quote
Dcgarner133 wrote:
All you need is a 11mm allen key. I had the same problem because I have the same bike

Did you replace it with the official Whyte freehub or do you know if other brands will fit? My freehub spins in both directions so I'm looking to replace it, I'm wondering if I have options other than the WHYFHUB06 specified for my bike on the Whyte website.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
I had to replace a similar freehub on my 2017, Whyte 605 a while back. I removed the old one with an 11mm Allan key and after some research I found out Whyte use very common Formula hubs and re-brand them like most bike brands do.

With no way to confirm what could work as a replacement I basically took a chance by looking and matching the hub/freehub body interface pattern and the fact it used the same 11mm bolt fitting.

I found this better than stock Sram 406 (HG) freehub that fitted perfectly for half the price Whyte were charging for their version:-

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/sram-406-freehub-body/

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 5:28 Quote
Amazing, thanks. Just the info I was after Smile

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006236
Mobile Version of Website