Stif Morf or Stanton Switchback 631 Next Gen

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Stif Morf or Stanton Switchback 631 Next Gen
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 30, 2016 at 22:26 Quote
Your thoughts please Hardtail fanatics..I'm hoping we can nerd out on these two bikes as I've been looking at then both..

Hard to not compare a Stanton Switchback to a stif morf, they are built for the same purpose but the morf has middle size with a 430mm reach which would have been perfect for my usual preferences.

Stif Morf

Pros:
Geometry that is more aligned to what I like.
It's all opinion, but i prefer the aesthetics of the Morf.
12 gauge chainstay is tha shiznit

Cons:
Cable routing sucks
Expensive
Metal tubing is regular 4130
Limited to be used with a 130mm fork (140mm is ok, according to their website).

Stanton Switchback next Gen 631

Pros:
Cheaper
Better quality tubing (631??)
Wayyyyy better clearance (designed to fit 27.5 and 27.5+)

Cons:
Geo isn't totally what I'm used too. Reach is a little short for my tastes.

I'm pretty open minded to the shorter reach of the Stanton..unlike a lot of the self professed plus tire haters..I like them, especially on agressive slack HA Hardtails.

So anyone have experience with either or both?

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 10:17 Quote
Yea man - two sick whips...hard to choose from both..granted I'm leaning towards the switchback for its better tubing, ability to run forks from 120-160, and i can get it for about $200 cheaper than the morf.

PatrickScar wrote:
photo
photo
right?

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 10:21 Quote
can't give some advice because I didn't ride or see one of them in flesh... but I also don't like the cable routing on the morf although it's a killer frame. the Stanton graphics are sick though

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 10:22 Quote
1) i guess you're talking about Stanton SWITCHBACK 631 NEXT GEN not MK2 - because that's titanium - at least that's how i understood..or not?
2) why do you say that Stanton is cheapper?
i see Morf at £499.00 and the Switchback at £599.00

- now, the tubes, even if Stanton's are better on paper, 4130 CrMo is often used on many bikes and proved to be good. I haven't heard of any problems so far, in fact, quite the opposite.
- about reach: you know that Santon's can be regular or long, right? but yeah..even so, the 18" Stanton has the same reach as the 17" Morf.

These being said, i guess the things that must be taken into account are: tire clearance, fork travel and to be on your liking visually..and of course..practically ..but for the last one, you should have the possibility to ride them both to realise that Smile

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 10:26 Quote
deniedway wrote:
1) i guess you're talking about Stanton SWITCHBACK 631 NEXT GEN not MK2 - because that's titanium - at least that's how i understood..or not?

- now, the tubes, even if Stanton's are better on paper, 4130 CrMo is often used on many bikes and proved to be good. I haven't heard of any problems so far, in fact, quite the opposite.
- about reach: you know that Santon's can be regular or long, right? but yeah..even so, the 18" Stanton has the same reach as the 17" Morf.

These being said, i guess the things that must be taken into account are: tire clearance, fork travel and to be on your liking visually..and of course..practically ..but for the last one, you should have the possibility to ride them both to realise that Smile

Correct, comparing the Switchback 631 Next Gen...

the cheaper pricing I can get for the Stanton is due to a coupon that i have...No coupon applicable for the morf.

Sizing wise, I'm looking at the 16.5" Long for the Switchback as compared to a Medium Morf...i'm 5'10" (178xm)...I'm into the longish type reach figures of 430ish...

If i went with the stanton I would definitely need to run a 50mm stem.

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 10:59 Quote
ledude wrote:
deniedway wrote:

Correct, comparing the Switchback 631 Next Gen...

the cheaper pricing I can get for the Stanton is due to a coupon that i have...No coupon applicable for the morf.

Sizing wise, I'm looking at the 16.5" Long for the Switchback as compared to a Medium Morf...i'm 5'10" (178xm)...I'm into the longish type reach figures of 430ish...

If i went with the stanton I would definitely need to run a 50mm stem.

honestly..that's a hard(core) decision Smile was exactly in you're spot having to chose between Ragley BP and NS Eccentric.
Now, what i manage to see - so my point of view between these two frames that you're caught between:
- cable routing on Morf does suck
- Morf has 10.5mm longer reach, but running a 50mm stem instead of 40mm one isn't much of a problem (unless you consider it to be)
- If Morf was designed around 130mm fork, it might work with 140mm one, but still, i don't know how that would affect it exactly (i saw that many companies specify something like "can take 130-150mm forks, but was build around 140mm so the recommended is 140) - not sure though - but just saying maybe is worth taking it in consideration.
- If you can buy a Stanton 200$ less than a Morf, that meaning about £350 - it's not something to ignore, although i'd be curious to see a 16.5" Switchback and compare the look with a 17" Morf. Somehow i don't manage to realise if all those Stantons that are around are 18" or 16.5". Also, i don't know if they're long or regular version..so i can't really make a decent visual comparison...

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 11:07 Quote
Go with the Stanton,get the right size frame though..need to try(M/L..etc) them imo. But you know this ^

I have a Morf unbuilt,but I have done extensive research and it suggests that the Morf has insufficient travel - I will be running mine at 150mm,f*ck the warranty, I don't care,optimised for 130mm fork, 140mm max

Read all the reviews, PM if you want dude

Morf i own is a medium, if it's shit,I will run it as a singlespeed..

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 11:10 Quote
topsedit wrote:
Go with the Stanton,get the right size frame though..need to try(M/L..etc) them imo. But you know this ^

I have a Morf unbuilt,but I have done extensive research and it suggests that the Morf has insufficient travel - I will be running mine at 150mm,f*ck the warranty, I don't care,optimised for 130mm fork, 140mm max

Dude, you bought a Morf and never told us...

why you holdin out bro? Big Grin

what color did you get?

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 11:15 Quote
ledude wrote:
topsedit wrote:

Dude, you bought a Morf and never told us...

why you holdin out bro? Big Grin

what color did you get?

Yep..lame as fuk I know! Have mentioned it before,but easily missed. Four hardtails to build..

Yellow Morf,as have a battleship grey Transition

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/stif-cycles-morf-review-long-low-slack-steel-hardtail-uk/

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 11:18 Quote
http://www.mbr.co.uk/videos/bikes-and-equipment/another-hard-riding-hardtail-north-morf-stif?pid=346802

Bought frame only as not happy with the kitlist

Apologies, am on mobile

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 11:24 Quote
Get the Stanton Wink

..in a size bigger

Small frame Morf is sexy
Medium is 'ok'
Large is a gate

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 11:30 Quote
Really dont want to go with an 18" long for the Stanton...going to be gatish (and thats a non-starter for me) - cuz we all agree, looks and aesthetics tops all!

But I agree, Stanton is probably my choice just by the fact of its increased tire clearance. Probably going to just have to settle on the 16.5 Long reach ....Mr. Stanton stated that I should slap on a 50mm and be done with it.

topsedit wrote:
Get the Stanton Wink

..in a size bigger

Small frame Morf is sexy
Medium is 'ok'
Large is a gate

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 11:45 Quote
Stanton. Coupon, cable management, ability to run different size wheels/tires & travel. IMO they look better.

Posted: Dec 1, 2016 at 12:04 Quote
speshiz wrote:
Stanton. Coupon, cable management, ability to run different size wheels/tires & travel. IMO they look better.

A logical and salient post - well done!

flexible wheel size and fork travel...I'm a sucker for flexibility and adaptability.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010216
Mobile Version of Website