Best Steel 29er Frame for Rigid SS

PB Forum :: 29ers
Best Steel 29er Frame for Rigid SS
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 3, 2016 at 8:27 Quote
Here's my predicament: I recently found a few cracks in my Surly Karate Monkey, so I'm in the market for a new frameset. Whatever I get I'll set up rigid singlespeed (I'm cheap). I was planning just to hold out for the new 2017 Karate Monkey, but some friends have pointed out a few other frames worth checking out, namely the Canfield Nimble 9 and Soma Juice. I live in Grand Junction, CO, and the trails out here are generally pretty rough, especially on a rigid, so durability is a major factor for me. I want a bike that climbs well, and I'm not necessarily crushing the downhills (obviously), but want something that's fairly compliant. Any suggestions?

Posted: Dec 3, 2016 at 11:47 Quote
Check out Curtis UK hand built frames to order.

No diubt you'll appreciate the raw smooth beadless welds, iirc fillet brazed...?

Lovely hardcore but acceptably light enough, think good compromise.

There's definitely a few amazing frame builders here in the UK for a while now.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 16:48 Quote
Spot Rocker of course!! Right in your backyard in Golden, CO. I have the last generation rocker set-up as a SS rigid. The latest version has boost, shorter stays, potential to run it as 27.5+ and a slightly slacker head tube. Plus it's 853 Reynolds and will have better feel than the 4130 chromo from your surly. If you're interested in used, I'm considering selling my 2012 Rocker SS to pick up the newer frame. Let me know and have fun no matter what you choose. Rigid, 29er SS is the way to MTB in my opinion. Super fun, affordable, lightweight and reliable!

Matt

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010676
Mobile Version of Website