Would you consider the Sight a playful bike?

PB Forum :: Norco
Would you consider the Sight a playful bike?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 3, 2016 at 15:27 Quote
Hey guys,

looking to pick up my first new bike in 10 or more years, and have been seriously looking at the new Norco Sight A7.2 (love that teal color!).

obviously been out of the game for a long time, and all i hear about now is "playful" trail bikes that can handle anything you throw at them. Would you put the Sight in this category? Most my riding will be Vancouvers north shore where you climb as much as you descend, but its quite technical descending. Id consider myself quite experienced so technical riding on a shorter travel bike isnt a big issue, but just looking for one bike to do it all while probably keeping more on the trail side rather than DH side of the scale.

anyone on a newer sight (150mm fork) and can comment on the playfulness of it?

Posted: Dec 13, 2016 at 19:42 Quote
I had a 2015 Sight C7.2 with a Fox Talus 34 160mm (replaced the 140mm Revelation POS). It was a great trail bike but I often found it overwhelmed in gnarlier terrain. I ride mostly Eagle and Burke but have ridden the whole sea to sky corridor with it as well. It's great on "xc" rides and playful on trails that are flowy, jumpy and groomed but I did not find it to be well suited for technical/gnarly terrain. Don't get me wrong, it'll get you down but it can be terrifying. Eek I felt like I found the limit of the Sight and had a cracked frame to prove it.

I ditched the Sight for a Giant Reign Advance after a year and couldn't be happier. It suits my riding style way better.

However, if you are going for 3+ hour rides that are more xc than dh, your trails are well groomed or you prefer the punishment a hardtail will dish out Whip then it's a good choice but if you like to get rowdy and not feel it for the next 4 days, then look to a Range or similar bike.

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 5:58 Quote
I'm riding sight a7.1 2016 and i am pretty happy with it just because it's my first real mountain bike but to be honest it's not too much playfull and it's a little bit heavy for 140mm bike(for today's standards). I have been riding some giant 2017 test models and i can say that reign is much more agressive, playfull and trance is very similar to sight.

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 13:46 Quote
rickharisson wrote:
I'm riding sight a7.1 2016 and i am pretty happy with it just because it's my first real mountain bike but to be honest it's not too much playfull and it's a little bit heavy for 140mm bike(for today's standards). I have been riding some giant 2017 test models and i can say that reign is much more agressive, playfull and trance is very similar to sight.

thanks for the info. Yeah, the Reign is too aggressive for what i want it for. Im looking at the new trances aswell, but the Large frame looks so lanky/awkward in the aluminum versions in my opinion...

So you found the sight/trance to ride quite similar? care to elaborate on your thoughts on the trance vs your sight?

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 19:25 Quote
Worked fine when I took mine to whistler.

Posted: Jan 19, 2017 at 9:05 Quote
kthorpe wrote:
rickharisson wrote:

thanks for the info. Yeah, the Reign is too aggressive for what i want it for. Im looking at the new trances aswell, but the Large frame looks so lanky/awkward in the aluminum versions in my opinion...

So you found the sight/trance to ride quite similar? care to elaborate on your thoughts on the trance vs your sight?

Posted: Jan 19, 2017 at 9:28 Quote
Yes large isn't the most beautiful one but if you were looking for large sight medium trance will probably felt similar. Trance(allu 2 ltd 2017) is also lighter. It also have 680mm handlebar and i run 780 so my sight because of it felt more agressive. Prices are similar but sight's spec is better and if you ask me i would buy sight over trance or wait for new norco sight(carbon) which is coming soon.

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 15:24 Quote
If you are still interested, I have been riding an xL 2017 sight a7.2 over the summer (borrowed from the shop I work at). I am absolutely in love with it and about to pull the trigger on my own. Very playful bike, although a bit portly, but climbs well for its weight. I am definitely an intermediate rider (think top ten in a sport class enduro/dh race) and feel that it is a very capable and forgiving bike. First time riding at the trails that I am moving next to (Monte Sano, Huntsville area) I was hauling ass on a gnarly rocky downhill with full confidence, never once doubting a line or sketchy gaps (probably not a good mindset to adopt xD) and came out on the other side ready to hit it again. That rear end absolutely gobbles up rocks and never felt harsh. At my local downhill area, I picked up a ton of speed and confidence on a totally new bike in sketchy conditions. It didn't even take one ride before I felt at home and only got more and more confident over time.

Personally, I'm going to swap out the dhf for either a dhr 2.4 or trs+ and go tubeless. I will also go with different brakes because levels are not adequate for a bike with such potential. Likely going with Hope brakes just to try something new. I may eventually grab a set of stans arch mk3s once they flood the market to lighten the bike a bit but for now I'm pleased with the wheel choice.

Good luck in your search for the right one! I think I've found mine Big Grin

Posted: Sep 30, 2017 at 3:08 Quote
I have a 2017 Sight C9.2 29er and rode it at Monte Sano during this past Labor Day weekend through some of the rowdy rock sections and found it to be perfectly fine with handling them. I think it is plenty bike for majority of riding in the SE and will trying it out on the Pisgah and DuPont trails in a few weeks time. Great bike with plenty of abilities if you are willing ti push it. I just added a Pike 150mm fork to see how that handles the rowdy stuff.
I would say if you have the access to ride different bikes to do so. The only other bike that I liked more than this was the Rocky Mountain Instinct but I just didn't like the purple color. The new model looks awesome though.

Posted: Nov 20, 2017 at 12:34 Quote
I have a 2017 C9.3 29er and its a beaut. Can handle most terrain to be honest. I took it up to the highlands and rode to pretty gnarly stuff up there and it was awesome. It makes you think a little more about line choice. I have also been shredding my local bike park on it. I also have a Fritzz and I only really use that if I am on some seriously rough stuff.

Over all I'd say yes, it is a playful and capable bike Big Grin

Check the link to see it in action.

https://youtu.be/c62enpcoVMY

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018560
Mobile Version of Website