The struggles of a tall rider

PB Forum :: Downhill
The struggles of a tall rider
Previous Page |
Posted: Dec 4, 2016 at 22:47 Quote
Hello PB,

I am struggling to find a bike that will actually fit me as I am really tall - 2.00 meters-ish / 6.6 ft and I am quite light.

I have no idea what exactly to look for - bike specifications and geometry.

So far, I've ridden 2011 demo 8 M size.

Can you advise the things I should check prior buying a bike and some models which tall riders do use.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 2:49 Quote
Holy shit, how did you not die on a size M Demo!!!?!Eek
I mean, i am 1,80m tall and i really liked the size L, but it didn´t feel like a particularly big bike (i like longer bikes) to me.

My advice for someone your height. Find the biggest bike you can get!

Some options include.
Santa Cruz V10 size XXL
Canyon Sender XL
GT Fury
Mondraker Summum
Nicolai ION G19
Giant Glory

Canyon, Nicolai and Santa Cruz would be better suited since they´re bigger than the others, but the rest can be had for less money if that is of importance to you.

Don´t be scared of the size and geo numbers of these bikes. I´ve heard it from countless riders of your size that they were incredibly happy once they finally got on a proper size bike. It was a game changer for all of them.
I would always compromise on the parts in order to get a proper fitting frame, which might be necessary at your height, depending on the budget you´re willing to spend on the bike.
Since you´re light though, it is rather easy for you because unlike some tall AND heavy guy you do not need to pay real attention to your suspension components. YOu should be able to get away with some cheaper options if budget is tight.

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 10:56 Quote
Pole's Evolink 176 looks amazing for tall riders, I'd suggest checking that out. I'm currently sitting at 6'2" (1.88m) and still growing, hoping I stop at 6'4" or 6'5" (1.95m), but I do like really long bikes so I really want to try out one of those super futuristic geometry bikes like a Nicholai or a Pole

Also since you said you want to know geometry numbers to be looking for, look at reach measurements, this is the main measurement for how a bike will fit and they don't change based on other angles like top tube length measurements, for your height I would suggest looking for at least a 480mm reach measurement, you may find some bikes like the Nicholai or Pole may have 500mm or more reach which could be good for you, especially if you like a long, stable bike.

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 21:02 Quote
If you can't get the reach with a long frame, try wider bars too, you've likely got the wing span for it, it'll straighten out your back.

Spend a bit of money on a professional fit too, not by your local bike shop, but by someone who ONLY does fittings. You'd be a prime candidate to benefit from something like that.

I'm 6ft4, an XL Cannondale Jekyll which fits me well, I'd hate to go bigger though, something like that would be on the cusp of what you are looking for.

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 22:03 Quote
Since you mentioned bar width, another thing for tall riders is bar height.
Do not ride a bike with super low stem/bar combo.
Rather put some spacers under that stem an buy a bar with high rise.
Seems to work well for all the Santa Cruz Syndicate guys which are rather tall blokes too.

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 9:05 Quote
Also reach adjust headset is good for bar height and reach!

Posted: Dec 13, 2016 at 4:58 Quote
Deyonk wrote:
Hello PB,

I am struggling to find a bike that will actually fit me as I am really tall - 2.00 meters-ish / 6.6 ft and I am quite light.

I have no idea what exactly to look for - bike specifications and geometry.

So far, I've ridden 2011 demo 8 M size.

Can you advise the things I should check prior buying a bike and some models which tall riders do use.

Thanks in advance.

I am 194cm/6“4. I am looking at buying a nukeproof Pulse or a Mondraker Summum as my next bike. They are really big in its biggest sizes.
I had a 2014 Summum in size large, with a 60mm stem(truvativ holzfeller 60mm).
With the slack head angle on the summum, and the height and length of that stem the bike got very roomy. It was almost too big for me, and that i had never felt before on a bike.

I think the Reach on the 2014 size Large Summum is 446mm.
2017 Summum has 468mm in Reach.
2017 Nukeproof Pulse has 465mm in reach.

I would have to have the shortst possible stems on those bikes, if you put on a longer stem on one of those there would still be a lot of space to move around.

When i saw someone mention the SC V10 i thought it was nonsens considering the mindset regarding reach-lenghts SC and other brands has had the last few years, but was surprised when the V10 in XXL has a Reach of 475mm.
I guess old dogs can learn new trix after all... A few years ago their XL V10 was shorter than a size M Demo.

Anyway, you are lucky to look for bikes in these times. There are more brands stretching their geometry.
The downside is that this development has only been for the last 3 years, so it is hard to fine a used frame with the new bigger sizes.

Posted: Dec 13, 2016 at 5:01 Quote
I feel your pain, I'm 6'3'' and still growing.

Posted: Dec 13, 2016 at 7:54 Quote
I'm 193cm

I had a canyon dhx until it got nicked in morzine this summer. I hired a few bikes

L canyon dhx felt brilliant
L morewood?? Geometry felt fine but the rear shock had a spring that was much too soft for me

L pivot carbon dh bike. Geometry felt fine but the bike was in need of a service. Poor forks ( same as my canyon, just in need of a service) pumping up brakes.

Xxl v10 carbon. Felt perfect!

L polygon colossus. Tiny bike, super flexy. It was a top spec one and all the bits felt amazing, but was horrible to ride as it was so short.

So in conclusion it didn't bother me what the spec was as long as it was serviced. I'd have any of them in l or xl. The santa cruz would be amazing if I was rich enough but I'm not.

Buy the longest reach you can find, service the bike and enjoy the ride. All the above bikes have quite different numbers but each day was still amazing. Its not about the bike!

Ps i don't race

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 0:51 Quote
Looking to purchase a new enduro bike but unsure of the size. I am 2 metres tall and looking at a bike with 491 mm reach. Any other tall riders out there know if this would be enough reach or should I look for something with 500+ mm. (I am aware of brands like geometron, pole or cotic but these are out of my budget).

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 2:30 Quote
DylanRodriguez28 wrote:
Looking to purchase a new enduro bike but unsure of the size. I am 2 metres tall and looking at a bike with 491 mm reach. Any other tall riders out there know if this would be enough reach or should I look for something with 500+ mm. (I am aware of brands like geometron, pole or cotic but these are out of my budget).

Commencal Clash is 497mm in Reach in its biggest size, and it has a good price.
https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/clash-origin-2019-c2x26307422

497 should be well enough for you. Maybe swap the stem for a litte longer also.
I am 194cm tall and i bought a Commencal Meta Trail earlier this year, size XL with 490mm reach. As i always have had to have slightly too small bikes as bikes historically been so short, i am quite used to shorter bikes.
So after only riding my Meta Trail this year i took a ride on my old 2011 Nukeproof Mega with around 435-440 mm reach.
And it surprised me of how fun it was. Sure it is quite small, my knees are quite close to the handlebars sometimes, and i am probably slower on it. But what i am trying to say is that if you are also used with slightly smaller bikes, you should probably be fine with reach numbers from 470mm and up.

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 2:39 Quote
Startgas wrote:
DylanRodriguez28 wrote:

Commencal Clash is 497mm in Reach in its biggest size, and it has a good price.
https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/clash-origin-2019-c2x26307422

497 should be well enough for you. Maybe swap the stem for a litte longer also.
I am 194cm tall and i bought a Commencal Meta Trail earlier this year, size XL with 490mm reach. As i always have had to have slightly too small bikes as bikes historically been so short, i am quite used to shorter bikes.
So after only riding my Meta Trail this year i took a ride on my old 2011 Nukeproof Mega with around 435-440 mm reach.
And it surprised me of how fun it was. Sure it is quite small, my knees are quite close to the handlebars sometimes, and i am probably slower on it. But what i am trying to say is that if you are also used with slightly smaller bikes, you should probably be fine with reach numbers from 470mm and up.

Thanks! I'll look into the commencal but I think I'd prefer a 29er over 27.5

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 4:11 Quote
I'm on a xl nicolai geometron now with a 530 reach and an xl orange clockwork with a ~480 reach.

I prefer the longer reach, but not enough to replace a perfectly good hardtail.

The bikes I've had previously were also fine and they had much shorter reaches.

If you can, test ride and see what you think :-)

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 8:44 Quote
DylanRodriguez28 wrote:

My DH bike has a reach of 485mm and my enduro bike is only 453mm. I’m 1.93m tall and my local trails are quite tight so at a certain point a longer bike is really annoying.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 8:22 Quote
Im 6 ft 5 and I find 29ers tend to fit a lot better than 650bs and 26s. I want to get an XL 29 YT Tues

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012366
Mobile Version of Website