09 Bullit upgrade

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
09 Bullit upgrade
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 14:46 Quote
I need this bike to be lighter and as strong. Can I go 650b in the front with a lyric 170 and keep 26 in the rear. I would get new lighter rims and wheels. Would like to go 1x11 also. Is it worth the money? I love the bike.

How can I load up a pic on this forum?

Posted: Dec 12, 2016 at 12:34 Quote
I had one of these, great versatile bike. Why don't you just keep it 26in but get some lighter wheels and some Lyriks at 170mm. I had some 180mm Air Totems on mine, maybe just a bit heavier than Lyriks. If you go 650b you'll be looking at new(expensive) forks, odd wheels, and you need to get odd sized tyres? Upgrade it but keep it simple?

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 23:26 Quote
I am building one of these. I short-shocked mine (200x57 air shock instead of the 216x63 coil), this reduces rear travel to about 160mm and lowers the rear about 45mm. Then I put a 160 FOX 36 on the front, which drops the front 20mm. This combo drops the bike about 30mm, bringing the BB height to about 332mm, a bit on the low side so I may put offset bushings in it to raise the rear a bit. It also brought the head angle to about 66 degrees. I also put some used lighter wheels and Tires on it (Spank Spike Race 28 wheelset , Butcher/Purgatory tires). I installed a 1x10 setup on it and a dropper post (take offs from my enduro) and then Raceface SIXC bars and RF stem.

This is really a spare bike, I looked for used parts (fork, shock, wheelset) and I also used takeoffs from my other bikes and builds (brakes, tires, stem, shifter, cassette, derailer, seat and dropper post. New parts were the cranks and NW ring, the bars and grips.

I'll probably finish it up tomorrow and take it for a rip on the weekend as I am waiting for a warranty frame for my Enduro.

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 12:42 Quote
I have a 09 bullit just chilling in storage. Was planning on doing something similar like youve done to have it as a spare or lend bike. What size frame do you have and how much did the reach decrease with short shocking it, also what does it weigh now?

goodwrench wrote:
I am building one of these. I short-shocked mine (200x57 air shock instead of the 216x63 coil), this reduces rear travel to about 160mm and lowers the rear about 45mm. Then I put a 160 FOX 36 on the front, which drops the front 20mm. This combo drops the bike about 30mm, bringing the BB height to about 332mm, a bit on the low side so I may put offset bushings in it to raise the rear a bit. It also brought the head angle to about 66 degrees. I also put some used lighter wheels and Tires on it (Spank Spike Race 28 wheelset , Butcher/Purgatory tires). I installed a 1x10 setup on it and a dropper post (take offs from my enduro) and then Raceface SIXC bars and RF stem.

This is really a spare bike, I looked for used parts (fork, shock, wheelset) and I also used takeoffs from my other bikes and builds (brakes, tires, stem, shifter, cassette, derailer, seat and dropper post. New parts were the cranks and NW ring, the bars and grips.

I'll probably finish it up tomorrow and take it for a rip on the weekend as I am waiting for a warranty frame for my Enduro.

Posted: Feb 25, 2017 at 15:40 Quote
Frame size is a medium, I don't think the reach changed much but if you want me to take a measurement somewhere I can. It weighs about 32lbs on the bathroom scale, I have a FOX 34 I might put on it instead, but the 36 sure looks the business..

Here is how the bike looks now.

Short shocked Bullit
  Short shocked Bullit

Short shocked Bullit
  Short shocked Bullit

Short shocked Bullit
  Short shocked Bullit

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010957
Mobile Version of Website