Tire size on a Bronson.

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Tire size on a Bronson.
Previous Page |
Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 16:05 Quote
So my wife wants to get some carbon wheels for her 2016 Bronson, she also wants to go to the widest tire she can get. now what is the widest tire you can fit on the Bronson.

Hers

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 18:52 Quote
On SC's product page it says 2.4, which sounds about right in my experience

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 8:58 Quote
A wider rim (28-35mm internal) and a 2.4 inch tire is a lot of tire. I have a 2.5 in the front and a 2.4 in the rear on my 5010, plenty of clearance and I think it's a very similar rear triangle. Don't forget, big tires are heavy.

What wheels are you going to build?

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 10:14 Quote
Not sure yet what wheels I am going to get her. But yea a wider wheel and 2.5 in front and a 2.4 in back should look killer.
And I did tell her that big tires are heavy but she wants the stability....She is the boss.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 17:20 Quote
I went with an e13trs+ wheelset - 28mm inner, aluminum. The tire/wheel combo has been great. One could go wider with the rim, high volume and low pressures are a fun combo.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 17:30 Quote
If you have the wheels built, rather than purchased from a dealer, make sure they dish them correctly. We had an issue where a rear wheel was dished wrong and because of a fat rear tire it was rubbing the frame. Basically the whole wheel is offset from center... frown.

2.4 will definitely fit the rear. I have a MAXXIS HR2 on mine. Rad tire, but has that "oh shit" gap in the tread pattern where it will slide and then catch again (reliably) between the center and side knobs. My girlfriend just put an e13 TRS+ on her rear and said it's great. It's 2.35 but is full volume and looks wider than it's rated.

Let us know what you do

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 20:18 Quote
She is talking about leaving the 2.3 in the rear and a 2.5 in front, as far as wheels not sure what she wants, She does not want to spend a lot of cash on the wheels because she wants a new bike rack for her truck, North Shore I think.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 22:55 Quote
Running Ibis 40 wide rims with Maxxis 2.5's. Works like a charm!

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 5:10 Quote
I was just looking at the Ibis wheels, I almost bought an Ibis bike and ended up with a Pivot Switchblade.

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 8:01 Quote
I have Ibis 738's on my Bronson V2 build. They're 34mm internal width which is about the widest I would go. Great value if that's what you're after. I'd shoot for anything 30-35mm if you want to run 2.5s. I've put a Maxxis Minion DHF WT 2.5 on the front and back and it clears fine. I wouldn't go bigger than 2.5 especially with other brands as Maxxis tend to run a bit small, my guess would be that it would clear a Maxxis 2.6 but no one else's 2.6s.

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 14:54 Quote
Just for kicks, i test fitted a 2.8 from a Juliana yesterday. Arc 40 rims with a rekon 2.8. It would spin without rubbing, but there wasn't much room for wheel flex or mud. I was surprised it fit at all. The lower link is where it got closest. I think the key was the wide rims to make sure it didn't get too tall. I also think it might bottom out on the seat tube when the suspension is fully compressed. That being said, a 2.8 on a 40mm rim isn't much taller than a 2.5 on a 30mm rim.

I'm tempted to run a 2.8 up front and a 2.5wt or 2.6 out back. I have 30.5mm internal rims, but i wish i had something in the 35mm range instead.

Posted: Jul 1, 2017 at 16:04 Quote
sixstringsteve wrote:
Just for kicks, i test fitted a 2.8 from a Juliana yesterday. Arc 40 rims with a rekon 2.8. It would spin without rubbing, but there wasn't much room for wheel flex or mud. I was surprised it fit at all. The lower link is where it got closest. I think the key was the wide rims to make sure it didn't get too tall. I also think it might bottom out on the seat tube when the suspension is fully compressed. That being said, a 2.8 on a 40mm rim isn't much taller than a 2.5 on a 30mm rim.

I'm tempted to run a 2.8 up front and a 2.5wt or 2.6 out back. I have 30.5mm internal rims, but i wish i had something in the 35mm range instead.

I set my 2017 alloy Bronson up with 27.5x2.8 front and 26x2.8 rear (both wtb ranger tires on asym i35 rims) it is truly amazing.

Posted: Jul 2, 2017 at 11:31 Quote
Onespeedpaul wrote:

I set my 2017 alloy Bronson up with 27.5x2.8 front and 26x2.8 rear (both wtb ranger tires on asym i35 rims) it is truly amazing.

Very interesting. Got any pics? Have you let the air out of the shock and cycled it completely to see if it contacts the seat tube at full compression? (I imagine it won't, being a 26)

I'm currently running a 2.5 WT DHF up front (30.5 internal rims) and a 2.4 DHR II on the rear and it's night and day better than my 2.3s. It totally transformed the bike for me. I'm thinking 2.6s might be the magic bullet.

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 12:33 Quote
Thread resurrection etc. Before I go to the hassle of swapping tubeless tyres, will a 2.4 HR2 fit the rear of a Bronson (v2 carbon)?

Currently running a 2.3 vigilante and it’s tight but they do blow up big. Hoping to fit the HR2 for better braking over the winter.

Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 13:20 Quote
Your Bronson V2 rear will have more than enough clearance for the HR 2 tire. I'm currently running a DHF 2.5WT (2.5" actual) with the Ibis 742 carbon rim on the rear of my Bronson V2, still with plenty of clearance.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012747
Mobile Version of Website