So what ever happened to Dual Slalom and 4X?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
So what ever happened to Dual Slalom and 4X?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 21:09 Quote
Hi Pikebike,
As someone who has been out of MTB for 1-2 decades I noticed that Dual Slalom and 4X don't seem to exist anymore...

What's the go there?

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 at 9:02 Quote
Still pretty strong in the UK.
and i guess it kinda died as there weren't many big names to carry it on i guess. not sure.
AntN wrote:
Hi Pikebike,
As someone who has been out of MTB for 1-2 decades I noticed that Dual Slalom and 4X don't seem to exist anymore...

What's the go there?

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 10:39 Quote
I posted a topic talking about revamping 4x/DS. I think downhill and slopestyle just became more interesting to watch so the supporters and athletes turned to the bigger dog basically. Possibly because 4x and DS were not interesting enough for the masses. In my post post I asked if anyone had ideas on revamping these events to make them more "modern" like making the courses more downhill-like and get rid of the sterile bmx racing feel of it. Perhaps a more raw and crazy approach to a new version of DS might catch the peoples eye. It is hard to have downhill races in most places in the US because obviously you need significantly large hills to build a bike park in. Would possibly open up a lot more opportunities for people with short courses that don't require massive hills or mountains but with just as much if not more competitiveness as downhill? These are just some thoughts about it.
AntN wrote:
Hi Pikebike,

What's the go there?

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 15:24 Quote
MarkTex wrote:
I posted a topic talking about revamping 4x/DS. I think downhill and slopestyle just became more interesting to watch so the supporters and athletes turned to the bigger dog basically. Possibly because 4x and DS were not interesting enough for the masses. In my post post I asked if anyone had ideas on revamping these events to make them more "modern" like making the courses more downhill-like and get rid of the sterile bmx racing feel of it. Perhaps a more raw and crazy approach to a new version of DS might catch the peoples eye. It is hard to have downhill races in most places in the US because obviously you need significantly large hills to build a bike park in. Would possibly open up a lot more opportunities for people with short courses that don't require massive hills or mountains but with just as much if not more competitiveness as downhill? These are just some thoughts about it.
AntN wrote:
Hi Pikebike,

What's the go there?

Good Points. I was thinking that MTB needs a 'jump race' type format. Maybe something like a MTB version of 'Red Bull Straight Rhythm' Part pumptrack, part big jumps...

I just realised I just described 4X lol
Anyway I would love to see a 4X WC or on the Crankworks tour...

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 15:42 Quote
AntN wrote:
MarkTex wrote:
AntN wrote:
Hi Pikebike,

What's the go there?

Good Points. I was thinking that MTB needs a 'jump race' type format. Maybe something like a MTB version of 'Red Bull Straight Rhythm' Part pumptrack, part big jumps...

I think if 4x tracks were longer and had more variety they would be more entertaining. Like the JCB one, maybe add more features to it to make it longer. have rock areas, flow areas, wood areas etc... a lot of the UK tracks are very flow based and some have rock sections but not many :/ also making the pro lines more obvious would be cool. i just thing having the variety be more obviouse would be the way to go. 'The rock section' 'The flow section' 'The sand section' etc.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 16:12 Quote
Yeah exactly! Having more variety and a more natural feel to the race would be something that helps. I also think some of it has to do with the track setting itself. Downhill courses are cool and in a lot of spots rather scenic. Basically pleasing to look at, where as the 4x tracks are kinda boring and barren. Part of the thing with downhill racing and many events is good photo/video opportunities, supporters want something that looks good so they can sell it. I think taking a page out of Red Bull Hardlines book may be a good start. Or the best example, Red Bulls Dream Slalom course they did with Bas. I'll link that here: http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stories/1331806902112/dream-slalom-mountain-biking-in-forest
jakecallcut wrote:
AntN wrote:
MarkTex wrote:

I think if 4x tracks were longer and had more variety they would be more entertaining. Like the JCB one, maybe add more features to it to make it longer. have rock areas, flow areas, wood areas etc... a lot of the UK tracks are very flow based and some have rock sections but not many :/ also making the pro lines more obvious would be cool. i just thing having the variety be more obviouse would be the way to go. 'The rock section' 'The flow section' 'The sand section' etc.

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 1:59 Quote
MarkTex wrote:
Yeah exactly! Having more variety and a more natural feel to the race would be something that helps. I also think some of it has to do with the track setting itself. Downhill courses are cool and in a lot of spots rather scenic. Basically pleasing to look at, where as the 4x tracks are kinda boring and barren. Part of the thing with downhill racing and many events is good photo/video opportunities, supporters want something that looks good so they can sell it. I think taking a page out of Red Bull Hardlines book may be a good start. Or the best example, Red Bulls Dream Slalom course they did with Bas. I'll link that here: http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stories/1331806902112/dream-slalom-mountain-biking-in-forest
jakecallcut wrote:
AntN wrote:

Bas is my all time favorite rider. Love his ideas like the dream slalom and the big white project. I think the location is an important thing too. Again in the UK, There is a 4x stop at a place called Redhill and that is probably the most scenic one. imagine having 4x stops around the world and each track has some sort of feature that relates to the location, Like colors, or art, or features it's self.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.107683
Mobile Version of Website