Brand-X Ascend Dropper Seat Post

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Brand-X Ascend Dropper Seat Post
Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 12:02 Quote
OffRiggs wrote:
Chingus-Dude wrote:
ffstepan wrote:
Hey everyone. Does anyone have experience using the Brand-X Ascend Dropper seat post? Its on the pinkbike's deals, and wondering if the price is too good to be true.

I currently have one on my bike right now. Came on it from factory. I've had it for about a year with no issues, but recently it was starting to act up. Last weekend about 10 minutes before a race (naturally), it would not stay up. If I put my weight on it, it'd go down. If I stood up, it would go up. Bike shop fixed it, but it still has some issues if I want to raise the whole thing due to it being a short 125mm post.

I would buy one. Go for it

Mine is acting the same way, but since like the second day of use! Haven't yet taken the time to fix that.

Other than that, great value for the money!

P.S.: I have the Brand-x Ascend II (external cable) because I currently have it on an older model bike with no internal routing.

Check your cable tension, it's likely the culprit.

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 6:01 Quote
Hi all I was thinking of getting the externally routed ascend 2 and I wondered if its expensive to service? Or can it be serviced at home? And what's the service interval
Thanks!

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 7:09 Quote
nordland071285 wrote:
Hi all I was thinking of getting the externally routed ascend 2 and I wondered if its expensive to service? Or can it be serviced at home? And what's the service interval
Thanks!

Just had a quick look at my instruction manual and all it says maintenance wise is wipe with a damp cloth after use.....
I've just fitted my 2nd post albeit a 150 drop to replace my 120 drop post. I'm ashamed to say I never serviced or paid any attention to it in the 18 months of constant use, but it never went wrong and apart from a bit of side to side wobble it never let me down! I was pretty lazy with cleaning after grotty rides though which resulted in the paint rubbing off hence buying a new one. For 80 quid after 18 months abuse is really worth servicing it??

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
Hey thanks for the quick reply, when you say the paint rubbed off, did you just replace it for aesthetics then? I.e the old one is still perfectly functional following 18 months of no maintenance?

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
Pretty much. More so because I wanted more drop as the bikes quite tall anyway. The new lever is much nicer too. It was still working fine but the side to side movement had become noticeable while seated. I read somewhere that the service kit is the same as the shimano koryak post as the internals are the same. If I remember right the kit was around 25 quid but I didn't see the point when you can get a brand new one with 2 year warranty for so cheap.

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 12:08 Quote
Thanks for your help dude Smile that's good news

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 13:39 Quote
No worries bro! Hope you're not disappointed!

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
I have one on my Fat bike it has a little bit more play than my fox transfer but it works great and was easy to install.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 19:20 Quote
Anyone out there know of a link that describes the disassembly of the (externally routed) cable actuator version of the Brand-X Ascend dropper post?

Spent many hours 'Googling' for it to no avail...

Tnx.

Andrew Drouin

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 10:12 Quote
Anyone know why my Brand X dropper is stuck halfway up and will not go down?
I believe it is stopping me being able to access the valve so that i can add air.

I can't find anything online that is helpful

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,
TS

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 11:10 Quote
The air valve on mine is under the seat, should go down still,

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 11:21 Quote
joelsman wrote:
The air valve on mine is under the seat, should go down still,

Same on mine. Perhaps it’s cable related or the actuator has seized or broke somehow.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 11:42 Quote
Mine is an externally routed post if that makes any difference.

Is the valve under any sort of cover under the seat because i have taken the nut out but cannot see a valve underneath

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 20:39 Quote
Sounds like you need to take the cable out and clean it and likely the post apart.
I had to pull my post up the other day while holding the lever down to get it up. I need to check the air pressure again, and clean it. Just now 2yrs and only thing I do is check air pressure once a year and lube it.
Mine is stealth cable. Your air valve could be on the bottom.

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 2:56 Quote
TheoSimpkin wrote:
Mine is an externally routed post if that makes any difference.

Is the valve under any sort of cover under the seat because i have taken the nut out but cannot see a valve underneath

You sure the cable hasn't snapped? My GF had one on here bike and the cable inside the dropper itself had snapped. CRC warrantied it no questions asked, and it was 14 months old. If you still feel tension on the lever then it won't be that, but worth a check. Lack of air pressure wouldn't result in the dropper getting stuck half way up.

PS, externally routed ones are sealed units and you can't add or remove pressure (well they used to be, may have changed recently though).

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005890
Mobile Version of Website