Does anybody here uses a giant fathom 27.5 or 29er?

PB Forum :: Giant
Does anybody here uses a giant fathom 27.5 or 29er?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 19:06 Quote
Hi guys, im currently planning to buy a fathom but can't decide yet if i'll go with 275 or 29er.. i know the 27.5 is trail oriented and the 29er is for xc. i just want to know people's review about these two bikes before i bought one... thanks!

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 23:13 Quote
raident30 wrote:
Hi guys, im currently planning to buy a fathom but can't decide yet if i'll go with 275 or 29er.. i know the 27.5 is trail oriented and the 29er is for xc. i just want to know people's review about these two bikes before i bought one... thanks!

I have the 29er model 1 and I love mine so far. I did upgrade the tires to more beefy knobby tires for SoCal. I also changed the rear rotor to a 180mm as I'm 250lbs.

I am jealous that the 27.5 has the dropper and the 29er does not. That may play a factor for you. You can check out some of my vids: youtube.com/fovision

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 19:17 Quote
forealz wrote:
raident30 wrote:

I have the 29er model 1 and I love mine so far. I did upgrade the tires to more beefy knobby tires for SoCal. I also changed the rear rotor to a 180mm as I'm 250lbs.

I am jealous that the 27.5 has the dropper and the 29er does not. That may play a factor for you. You can check out some of my vids: youtube.com/fovision

I bought mine about a month ago, I have the 27.5 1. I went with that over the 29er because it had a more modern slacker geometry, dropper post, 120mm fork instead of the 100. So far so good, haven't taken it on too many tough trails but I like it so far.

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 23:57 Quote
The 29er is still between a xc and trail bike.. very similar geometry as the Whyte 605..

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 12:00 Quote
I've just ordered a Fathom 1 29er. Really excited about the bike. It will be for more xc rides and probably be my main bike for the winter. Just wondering what tyre clearance is like on the rear. I assume there's room for a 2.3 or 2.4" tyre for the winter? Are the giant xc3 wheels tubeless ready? I'm guessing not so might have to start saving for a wheel upgrade. Thanks.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 21:04 Quote
another-Rich wrote:
I've just ordered a Fathom 1 29er. Really excited about the bike. It will be for more xc rides and probably be my main bike for the winter. Just wondering what tyre clearance is like on the rear. I assume there's room for a 2.3 or 2.4" tyre for the winter? Are the giant xc3 wheels tubeless ready? I'm guessing not so might have to start saving for a wheel upgrade. Thanks.
I'd be interested to know also, I notice the 2017 29er Fathom had 19mm internal diameter rims and the 2018 Fathom has 21mm rims, 19mm = max 2.2 tyres? I think you might have clearance for 2.35" tyres, maybe more if you have a 1x setup? Let us know what size you end up fitting..

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 at 13:00 Quote
Had the bike a few days now and been for a couple of short rides and I'm really impressed with it. Has the feel of a good all round xc/trail bike which is exactly what I wanted out of it. I'd like a shorter stem and I'll be wanting to upgrade the wheels. The stock wheels are tubeles ready, there's loads of clearance with the 1x set up. I'm trying conti x king 2.4. Might be a little wide for the rims but wanted to give it a go. Not tried to set them up tubeless yet. Great bike, will benefit from wider rims on the 2018 bike if that's what they've done.

Posted: Sep 3, 2017 at 14:37 Quote
A good friend of mine just grabbed one and is getting into the sport (27.5). In my opinion it is a fantastic bike for the money and is a well-rounded platform.

Posted: Sep 22, 2017 at 7:25 Quote
Just bought the 2018 Fathom 1 27.5 medium. I spent the extra because the 2018 model comes with tubeless rims and wider bars. So far just rode it 15 miles home from work (Road only). Will be riding it Sunday & Monday so I will let you know. So far seems very very nice and pretty good value. The stem, flats & tyres are not stock, but it does come with a short (50mm) stem. It also comes with Ardents which are no good for muddy riding. The geometry seems pretty spot on as well. I wanted a winter hardtail that can deal with the mud. How do I post photos on here????

Posted: Sep 26, 2017 at 6:42 Quote
tracktion74 wrote:
Just bought the 2018 Fathom 1 27.5 medium. I spent the extra because the 2018 model comes with tubeless rims and wider bars. So far just rode it 15 miles home from work (Road only). Will be riding it Sunday & Monday so I will let you know. So far seems very very nice and pretty good value. The stem, flats & tyres are not stock, but it does come with a short (50mm) stem. It also comes with Ardents which are no good for muddy riding. The geometry seems pretty spot on as well. I wanted a winter hardtail that can deal with the mud. How do I post photos on here????

Go to your profile, click the "photos" section and then "photo uploader". Then once the photo is uploaded to Pinkbike, youncan use the photo number in the text box after clicking "link PB image" above the comment box.

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 12:17 Quote
Kenfire24 wrote:
tracktion74 wrote:

Go to your profile, click the "photos" section and then "photo uploader". Then once the photo is uploaded to Pinkbike, youncan use the photo number in the text box after clicking "link PB image" above the comment box.

Thanks. A few observations on the Fathom. The dropper post housing cannot go any lower than in the photos, I find this very annoying as the max extension point is too high for me! Tried taking the water bottle mounts out but it won't get any lower.
It rides very nice and is perfect for Epping Forest. So far the gears change smoothly and the rims have stayed true. I think I will change the fork however as it's ok but would like something a little more meaty. Overall I am very pleased with the bike. I bought it for using in the winter Epping Forest mud and it does this very well. I put some bigger tyres on it and it runs tubeless. The brakes aren't amazing but are fine for the forest. The geometry is pretty nice with a, relatively, slack head angle. It doesn't seem to be that harsh a ride but I haven't really ridden hardtails for many years.
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/15348427/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/15348422/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/15348420/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/15348414/

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 at 5:05 Quote
Anyone end up fitting a 2.4 in tire into the rear? I was concerned the rear chain stay wouldn't be wide enough to fit a 2.4 in wide tire.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
Jon1998 wrote:
Anyone end up fitting a 2.4 in tire into the rear? I was concerned the rear chain stay wouldn't be wide enough to fit a 2.4 in wide tire.

I fit a 2.6" Nobby Nic on my 2018 Fathom 1. I do have different wheels that are 30mm wide so it is probably different with the stock wheels. There is barely any clearance but they do fit without rubbing. So the 2.4" should be fine.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.011481
Mobile Version of Website