2017 fox 36 setup issues

PB Forum :: Fox Racing Shox
2017 fox 36 setup issues
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 23:27 Quote
Wondering if anyone else is having issues getting their 2017 36's feeling right? I have had the fork for about 4 months now and have tried several different set ups but sill feels way off.
Tried everything from running with no tokens which gave good top and middle stroke but unsprisingly was way too divey towards the end of the stroke. Any time I try to introduce tokens the fork seems to ride really harsh, to the extent I get sore arms at the end of a run which is not normal for myself. I have tried dropping the pressure however that then sends the sag way off, 35%+ still feels harsh, and still bottoms out on bigger stuff. I have played about with hsc and lsc but it's seems further off than solving the issues with them. I have also tried the zip tie method but no real improvements.
Would be interested to hear what other people's set up is?

Cheers Mark

Posted: Jan 8, 2017 at 14:17 Quote
markbud wrote:
Wondering if anyone else is having issues getting their 2017 36's feeling right? I have had the fork for about 4 months now and have tried several different set ups but sill feels way off.
Tried everything from running with no tokens which gave good top and middle stroke but unsprisingly was way too divey towards the end of the stroke. Any time I try to introduce tokens the fork seems to ride really harsh, to the extent I get sore arms at the end of a run which is not normal for myself. I have tried dropping the pressure however that then sends the sag way off, 35%+ still feels harsh, and still bottoms out on bigger stuff. I have played about with hsc and lsc but it's seems further off than solving the issues with them. I have also tried the zip tie method but no real improvements.

Cheers Mark
Had similar harshness issue with my new 34. Check the oil level, mine was low. Also lube the seals. Tech centre I spoke with mentioned the bladder can be overfilled at factory but rare. Might be best to send it in for a look if fluid checks out. I had To send in my 2015 36 3 times beforei it ran well - the zip tie method would fix it temporarily so I knew there was an issue. I haven't had much luck with fox forks and I'm just now building up a bike with new 2017 36s. Hope it works out of the box for a change.
I find the recommended set up quite a good place to start, but I'm a heavier rider so add a token or two and adjust accordingly. if it feels really off then suspect an issue.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 10:57 Quote
I am having problems with a factory fit 4 36, 170 mm travel. I weight 185-190 with gear on and need 40 lbs of air pressure to get sag fox recommends but then blows through travel easily, great small bump compliance though.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 13:28 Quote
basalt wrote:
I am having problems with a factory fit 4 36, 170 mm travel. I weight 185-190 with gear on and need 40 lbs of air pressure to get sag fox recommends but then blows through travel easily, great small bump compliance though.

at your weight, same as mine, you should be at about 75 psi for 15-20% sag. this is in according to fox tuning manual guide.

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 22:09 Quote
basalt wrote:
Pop in some volume reducers to make it more progressive. I'm 200 and running it at recommended settings and no extra spacers. I could use a little more travel. I've got the rc2 170 not fit4.

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2017 at 15:22 Quote
ckspeed wrote:
basalt wrote:

at your weight, same as mine, you should be at about 75 psi for 15-20% sag. this is in according to fox tuning manual guide.

then i get about 15mm of sag and it rides harsh but still almost bottoms out?

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 6:33 Quote
tried equalizing neg spring and it's better but still not 75 psi, more like 55. really fox, neg air spring problems like 2006 still? so sick of having to work out new bike problems on $6k bikes. started buying in the winter so i had time to sort them out by summer and not miss most of the season waiting on warranty shit!

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 9:00 Quote
ok down to 52 psi with 1" sag. hard to even get a good repeatable measurement? seems to ride ok in the yard and pretty balanced with the rear. will let you know. my mrp fork is working great.

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 9:04 Quote
I don't known how you have so much problem with this fork. I have three 36 stanchion forks, 2 RC2 and 1 fit, and have no problem setting them up even after I changed the travels on all 3.

Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 12:56 Quote
ckspeed wrote:
I don't known how you have so much problem with this fork. I have three 36 stanchion forks, 2 RC2 and 1 fit, and have no problem setting them up even after I changed the travels on all 3.
ive generally had no issues over the years but my 2015 model went back 5 times before they worked well. It happens.

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 23:22 Quote
ckspeed wrote:

because it's obviously not working properly and I am trying to get help and help others without having to send my fork away for a month? I have rebuilt three bicycle forks and three sets of dirt bike forks, mostly seals some cartridge work.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 1:31 Quote
markbud wrote:

Cheers Mark

Hire a shockwiz it's the nuts and will disl in the fork

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 20:01 Quote
markbud wrote:

Cheers Mark
I have a 2016 Knolly Delerium with 180 mm float 36 and i have had no end of problems with them being too harsh.i have taken the HSC and LSC all the way off and then all the way back, taken all the volume spcers out, been up and down with the sag but have not been able to find a happy place setting.
I was in Queenstown and ran into a guy from Sydney who also had the same issue on his Delerium and he advised that the valving in the longer 36 is far too harsh. He had Fox in Sydney revalve them and he says it was night and day different.
I will be sending mine off shortly for attention as it is spoiling my enjoyment of the bike.
I would like to try a shockwiz first to see what that says.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2017 at 9:55 Quote
so i pulled the lower stanchions off and seemed like there wasn't enough oil in the fork. It was hard to tell though as oil blew out @ 20 psi from the damper side when i pushed the rod back up in??? why would this be under pressure? The dust seals were so dry the lips were being pulled back down in with the uppers when compressed? working a little better in the yard but haven't been on a proper ride yet.

Posted: May 30, 2017 at 11:11 Quote
Ok I've read these posts, i was having trouble with my Fox 36 2017 from new they where very hard even after checking oil, tokens and pretty much everything you can check, i covered near 420 miles travelling to and from my local fork dealers, i have the seals changed, i had the internals changed, i had a custom tune and they also did something to the bushings. in the end they gave me a new set 2018 fox 36 yes new forks bonus i thought, now having ridden them a few times they still go hard more often than not the only difference is they seem to sort the pressure (hard ride) out themselves after a little while i feel. i really should tell them but don't have the time to get them back to them. so all is not solved with the 2018 and there is a definite problem with the 2017 as PIVOT aren't sending new bikes with them (full builds that is)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014784
Mobile Version of Website