building on land that is not yours??

PB Forum :: Trail Building
building on land that is not yours??
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 11:58 Quote
Me and some friends have been riding on this mountain for the past two weekends. Its a very quick and I mean quick quite rocky track, It is not a proper mtb track like all the places we ride its a public foot path. on the side of the mountain ther is a forest, we have been there to look and there are so many lines to build on its unreal. What I need to know is does anybody here build on land that is not theres? and if we get cought or whatever what would be the concicwenses (cant spell it lol) ??

If we do build it want be anything like northshore it wuld only be some jumpas over fallen tree's and berms and we are thingking of building in to the dirt as well that is diging a track out.

thanks

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 15:15 Quote
?? anybodytup

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 15:18 Quote
well if you hide it well enough (go deep into the forest) then the odds of it being found are reduced. but if it is found while you are riding the owner will most likely just tell yo uto leave (depending on age adn how nice the guy is) if it is found while you arent there then (in my expierience) they will tear down everything and put up a no tresspassing sign on site

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 15:34 Quote
well me and a friend so this man in the place we go to he had a nice bike( revell frame I think marzocchi dirt jumpers cant remember witch one but realy nice bike). We did not now that there was another guy around where we live but he told us that this is a great place to ride apparantly there are jumps in the woods somwhere!! they were built by some of his friends I think he said about 10 years ago but he just can not find them now due to his friends getting to old and stopped riding.!! there are many different forest around the mountain, but we do not who owns them. there are post all over the place saying that footpath this way or whatever it says so does that meen it's owned by the council?? or forest comishen ( or whatever you call it lol) ??

thanks

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 15:37 Quote
well odds are its city property so if it is found it will be torn down but it isnt too hard to hide a small jump trail you should do it worst thing that heppens (normaly) is they get torn down all part of finding the right plae to build

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 15:39 Quote
It is not a pticulary busy place me and my friends were there from 11:30 - 5 and there were only about 6 people that passed.

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 15:46 Quote
hope you can see it (pointlees post lol) but this is a map of the mountain

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.923696&lon=-4.512623&z=15.1&r=0&src=msa

as you can see it is not short of forests lol

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 15:54 Quote
Ask you owner. You can be charged.

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 19:49 Quote
Hey dude, so basically i have been building these dirt jmps for about a year, and i have put endless hours into the set. they are on private property but alwaysmake sure you are friendly to the owners. the people that own the property with the dirt jumps on are alright about it, as long as there is no fires, parties, and shit loads of people on the property. i didnt ask to build on it, i just did it because i felt like it, and once they asked me what i was doing and i told them Really nicely that i want to build bike jumps so i can have fun on them. they understood me and They gave me a couple guidlines. so basically make sure you are always friendly to them and try to find a soft spot about biking. like you never have anything to do or want to learn how top build bike jumps but there is nowher for you to do it.

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 19:50 Quote
bighuker wrote:
Hey dude, so basically i have been building these dirt jmps for about a year, and i have put endless hours into the set. they are on private property but alwaysmake sure you are friendly to the owners. the people that own the property with the dirt jumps on are alright about it, as long as there is no fires, parties, and shit loads of people on the property. i didnt ask to build on it, i just did it because i felt like it, and once they asked me what i was doing and i told them Really nicely that i want to build bike jumps so i can have fun on them. they understood me and They gave me a couple guidlines. so basically make sure you are always friendly to them and try to find a soft spot about biking. like you never have anything to do or want to learn how top build bike jumps but there is nowher for you to do it.

I'd ask first, just in case. Sounds like a good deal you got going, though.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 20:01 Quote
make sure you ask the owners pemission first. some of the best jumps in my town were destroyed because the owner had atreed section that we build in and when he finnally went there he tor everything up. always have permission!

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 20:09 Quote
talk to them. and make sure you make it look nice not trashy. me and a friend used to have a little trail that this lady owned. we kept it all nice and had the jumps looking nice, nice berms, the wooden structures all made out of 2x4's and look well-built and nice. then some local kids found it and ruined it, they tried to make stuff bigger. like we had this nice 2 foot tall bridge and they took old oil barrels that were all rusty with BB gun holes and spray paint and nailed them in. then they put old plywood with swearwords spray painted all over it, they also cut down like 4 average sized tree's and didn't even use the wood. they also would smoke and drink and leave all their junk lying around and would have fires at night with their friends. the lady had all of the stuff removed and wouldn't allow anyone near the land anymore. it sucked since its pretty much the only place we could build.

so make sure your stuff is neat and tidy and your respectfull to them.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 at 21:26 Quote
well basically all of the trails we have and build where we live are on public and private land, it really just depends on the people in the area, if ur unlucky like me and the majority of your town are hippy hiker people and old stuck ups with too much time on there hands then u just gotta keep ur trail secret, keep the entrence and exit well hiddin, the best way to do this is pick up your bike and walk carring it along a deer trail for a ways until you hit your trail, make sure there are no bike marks going up to it, and for the exit, make it going down a rocky waterfall that just doesnt run anymore or and old stream or somthing, that way your tracks stay well hidden, no skid marks and then carry your bike out, and thats basically your good to go, if u get caught riding on them or building them your basically f*cked, just book it and hope for the best, around here it ranges form a 150-275 dollar fine usually, a couple kids just got a 275 dollar fine for standing off of the fire road to let a ranger truck pass, ya thats how bad it is here, just avoid cutting down trees as much as possible thats where the big fines are, 500-1500 fine depending on the tree, cutting branches are probably okay though, and the sings dont mean that much bassicaly you just cant get caught or your f*cked, especially on private land by a crazy f*ck rancher. but its pretty hard to get caught, just avoid hiking up your trails, hike around and up to them on the leagal fire roads, and if you hear somone yell, BOOK IT.

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 10:32 Quote
build as far in as possible and away from paths and houses,shelters.and maybe on the sides of jumps place branches on them to camoflauge them so there not big piles of dirt which stand out.take all litter away and only tell people who ride.lucky where i plan on building i can it does'nt matter if the wrong person finds out cause all the druggies are'nt going to go 2 miles across fields from a little village to get there and theres no lights either,plus theres other spots for them screw up first.

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 10:37 Quote
bigquotesif you hear somone yell, BOOK IT.
The truest statement of any trail builders career.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014354
Mobile Version of Website