Another Boring Build Thread!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Another Boring Build Thread!
Posted: Dec 24, 2016 at 19:19 Quote
Here I some of my input from my experience building my dj and other bikes.

For pedals I honestly love my Chromag contact pedals and they aren't even that expensive but I love them. Also good are the straitline ones and the dmr vaults are good too but tbh I think they have too much grip in my opinion.

As for grips I really like my Sensus swayze ones but they just don't last too long.

For bars I would go with the fu40s, have them and love them not much else to say.

Can't comment on cranks as I have bmx style.

For stems I would go with the deity cavity stem.

For hubs I have the hope pro 4 evos and they are sick. S great engagement and it sounds really good.

I have sunringle rims and they are bomb proof.But I hear a lot of good things about the spank tweets.
And of course you have to go with the pike dj because it's awesome.

Posted: Dec 24, 2016 at 22:24 Quote
seraph wrote:
Brakes!

Hope Evo X2 Race -- 198g claimed
SRAM Level TLM -- 254g claimed
Shimano XTR race M9000 -- 182g claimed

140mm rotor in the rear, 160mm up front. Normally I run two brakes on full suspension play bikes. Just more fun that way. I would do titanium hardware all around except where the adapter mounts to the frame in the rear, for shear strength reasons.

I have to say XTR all the way, proven feel and reliability with my favourite lever of all time. Paired with Aishima rotors or anything lighter than stock Shimanos. XTR rotors work well, but they're pretty unnecessary considering how powerful most Shimano calipers are with metallic pads. Also because weight.

This post is perfect for me right now, I'm hella bored. I should add- loaded hubs, Deity bar, Deity stem, deity tmac pedals, MRP fork, light-bicycles carbon rims, dt db front spokes, single butted rear spokes, brass nipples, specialized rhythm lite front, KHE Mac 2 rear. Thats as close as i can remember from your options...doing this from
My phone right now.

Sounds almost like a recipe. Damn i feel like i should've been a chef.

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 at 1:49 Quote
Paul7189 wrote:
Seems to be too much emphasis on weight. Go for parts that work together and perform well. Then try cut down the weight if you need to. Which you really don't....

Definitely not an emphasis on weight. Honestly looking at everything but weight, although I'd like to be sub-30 in the end.

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 at 1:52 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
seraph wrote:
Brakes!

Hope Evo X2 Race -- 198g claimed
SRAM Level TLM -- 254g claimed
Shimano XTR race M9000 -- 182g claimed

140mm rotor in the rear, 160mm up front. Normally I run two brakes on full suspension play bikes. Just more fun that way. I would do titanium hardware all around except where the adapter mounts to the frame in the rear, for shear strength reasons.

I have to say XTR all the way, proven feel and reliability with my favourite lever of all time. Paired with Aishima rotors or anything lighter than stock Shimanos. XTR rotors work well, but they're pretty unnecessary considering how powerful most Shimano calipers are with metallic pads. Also because weight.

This post is perfect for me right now, I'm hella bored. I should add- loaded hubs, Deity bar, Deity stem, deity tmac pedals, MRP fork, light-bicycles carbon rims, dt db front spokes, single butted rear spokes, brass nipples, specialized rhythm lite front, KHE Mac 2 rear. Thats as close as i can remember from your options...doing this from
My phone right now.

Sounds almost like a recipe. Damn i feel like i should've been a chef.

I have an XT M8000 brake on my Black Market right now and I like it, but I would be tempted to go with the Level brakes simply because I've had such a good experience with the Guide line of brakes on my various mountain bikes over the years. Nothing against XTR M9000.

No carbon rims. Hell I don't even have carbon rims on my mountain bike. Probably going to go with Velocity Blunt 35s again. I have them on my Black Market and they build up so solid. Likely going to run 3-cross front and rear, drive and non, with Revolutions or Competitions. Alloy nipples, color matched to whatever scheme with which I end up.

O+
Posted: Dec 25, 2016 at 8:05 Quote
seraph wrote:
sals wrote:
Sram

Thanks for the useless input.

Shimano

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 at 2:48 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
seraph wrote:
sals wrote:
Sram

Shimano

Campagnolo.

O+
Posted: Dec 26, 2016 at 7:12 Quote
seraph wrote:
j-t-g wrote:
seraph wrote:

Shimano

Campagnolo.

Could you actually?

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 at 17:24 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
seraph wrote:
j-t-g wrote:

Shimano

Campagnolo.

Could you actually?

Back in the 80s Campy made a mountain bike groupset... more recently they did make a flat bar hybrid brake lever/shifter. But since I wouldn't be using gears, there isn't much from Campy that I would be using on this bike. I could use a Record chain I guess...

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 at 19:48 Quote
Saddles!

Chromag Overture -- 270g claimed
Tioga D-Spyder -- 175g claimed

(saddles are largely chosen based on aesthetics)

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 at 20:00 Quote
Seatposts!

Thomson Masterpiece 31.6x250mm -- 199g claimed
Thomson Elite 31.6x367mm -- 230g claimed
Easton EC70 Carbon 31.6x300mm -- 240g claimed
Zipp Service Course SL 31.6x330mm -- 220g claimed

I'd considered the possibility of adding an internally-routed dropper seatpost with 125mm+ of travel, but it looks like the Triple frame has a curved seat tube, which would likely limit me to a 100mm travel post.

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 at 20:05 Quote
Tires!

Maxxis DTH black/skin -- 555g claimed
Schwalbe TableTop black/skin -- 590g claimed
KHE Mac+ Park black -- 518g claimed

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 at 20:08 Quote
So far with the build I'm leaning towards a few specific parts here and there, namely the new SRAM Descendant cranks, the MRP Slope fork, and the SRAM Level TLM brakes. Other parts are up in the air.

Posted: Dec 27, 2016 at 22:27 Quote
Go with red there's a nice looking one in buy sell

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 28, 2016 at 7:02 Quote
Cranks-- keep the 3 piece cranks, they are dope on this bike
brakes-- i was also looking at the hopes but i might go for the 4 pistons because i 100% want this bike up at trestle this year
fork--the pike dj is really nice. if i could afford the fox 831 i think it would be sick
tires--i am really liking the table tops. i had the dth on a different bike but they have no bite on dirt.
wheels-- the stock wheels are surprisingly decent. i want to go industry 9 maybe down the road or profile if i have the money

i got the red because that was the color the shop had on sale, but the green is pretty rad IMO

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 28, 2016 at 7:06 Quote
pedals worth checking vp harriers. i love mine. i have scarabs on my triple build.
bars--i have fu40s they are rad. i could use a bit more rise on this bike i think but i am fairly tall
stem--i am putting on a chromag ranger but i also just like chromag stuff a lot
cranks--if you insist on mountain cranks, the saints are dope.
grips--i have really liked sensus grips. i prefer dissisdaboss but have swayze on my triple build (it was my first try with the swayze)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011999
Mobile Version of Website