Radon Owners Thread!

PB Forum :: Other
Radon Owners Thread!
Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 12:13 Quote
Odinson wrote:
Mountainenduro wrote:
I've been wanting one of these for a while, can someone give me a real world experience on how it rides?

Short and sweet: stable, planted, likes to go fast, a bit of a bulldozer and no slouch when it comes to getting some air.

thanks, I guess ill just have to take the plunge then!!

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 8:53 Quote
So my bike is in DHL Lichfield, and looking at some previous posts it could be there some time. I'm finding it impossible to get a contact number to arrange delivery. The only person I managed to speak to gave me a number for DHL Freight UK but when you phone that it says 'number no longer in use'.

I don't suppose anyone has a number for them?

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 13:40 Quote
I just ordered a Swoop 170. Having a little, just a touch of doubt now I ordered the right size.. so without saying I will give some details and please comment which size would you think right, I'm 177cm, 74kg

My current two trail bikes I both love and fit spot on with 125mm dropper posts fitted:-

NS Snabb T (2015) Medium 17"
Reach 440mm & I use a 50mm stem
Effective top tube 609mm

Ragley Mmmbop (2016) Medium 18"
Reach 415mm & I use a 50mm stem
Effective top tube 610mm

What's getting me is the long reach figures but the low effective top tube figures for the swoop

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 23:03 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
I just ordered a Swoop 170. Having a little, just a touch of doubt now I ordered the right size.. so without saying I will give some details and please comment which size would you think right, I'm 177cm, 74kg

My current two trail bikes I both love and fit spot on with 125mm dropper posts fitted:-

Effective top tube 609mm

Effective top tube 610mm

What's getting me is the long reach figures but the low effective top tube figures for the swoop

You should have ordered a Large Swoop.

And for what its worth, based on the above info on your current bikes....your riding a size too small imo!!!

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 0:32 Quote
StevieJB wrote:

Effective top tube 609mm

Effective top tube 610mm

You and I are about dead-on the same size and weight. I have large Swoop. Anything smaller may have felt a tad cramped.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 1:24 Quote
This is what I have been worrying about - but a 20" frame and my 125mm dropper post would be collar on the frame, the large comes with a 150 which on full extension would be too high.

It's so confusing as more recent years people have been saying regarding sizing just look at reach and reach puts the swoop as a 2cm longer than my NS and 4.5cm longer than my Ragley, which seems massive, the 1cm lower effective top tube I though 'should' be ok.

My intended use for it will be the odd local downhill & enduro races, partially uplifted enduro type holidays in Europe. I'd still be using my old bikes for more trail / XC type stuff i.e. The Coed-y-brenin style trail Centre's.

If stood up saddle dropped do you think I'd be ok as then it's just got to be the reach that matters?

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 1:52 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
This is what I have been worrying about - but a 20" frame and my 125mm dropper post would be collar on the frame, the large comes with a 150 which on full extension would be too high.

It's so confusing as more recent years people have been saying regarding sizing just look at reach and reach puts the swoop as a 2cm longer than my NS and 4.5cm longer than my Ragley, which seems massive, the 1cm lower effective top tube I though 'should' be ok.

My intended use for it will be the odd local downhill & enduro races, partially uplifted enduro type holidays in Europe. I'd still be using my old bikes for more trail / XC type stuff i.e. The Coed-y-brenin style trail Centre's.

If stood up saddle dropped do you think I'd be ok as then it's just got to be the reach that matters?

What's your inner leg measurement?

Im 31/32" inner leg, and ride a Large swoop. In fairness, the 150mm post is clamped at the top of the seat tube - i can't put it any lower.
At the end of the day, you can sell the 150mm post for decent money and get a 125mm if you need to. I wouldnt let this put you off buying a large.

As for the reach measurements. My old bike was a Meta SX Large with a reach of 429mm, the swoops is 473mm.
So 44mm difference, and yes, the first few rides the difference is dramatic.
However the more ive ridden the swoop, the more ive appreciated the longer reach - to the point where i wondered how i rode the SX at times. IMO longer front centre is the way to go on bikes (obviously within reason)

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 3:24 Quote
I've measured crotch as per Radon say and it's after a load of measure I make it 81cm which puts me just 19", 80cm is top of an 18", but I'd need to be 87cm to hit a 20".

Been doing drawings for the last hour, I think the 18" I've ordered will be fine, seems the steeper seat tube angle than my other bikes makes the effective top tube look short, the reach is still bigger though. I think it maybe one of those bikes that's spot on when out of the saddle charging but a bit cramped when sat on the saddle, I guess I can slam it back on the rails.

Interesting comment about the Meta, I sold a Meta AM V4 shortly after getting it as it was too cramped in a medium, its figures were 423mm reach / 591mm effective top tube. It felt loads smaller than my Snabb T that replaced it with just the 17mm shorter reach & 19mm shorter top tube.

Sizing isn't straight forward is it :-).

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 4:13 Quote
Stevie, I'm 6' 2" with an inside leg of about 32" and I ordered the 18". fits me just right in my opinion, loads of room and the bike handles everything so well.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 6:02 Quote
Cool that's very reassuring, I'm more confident now 18" is the correct choice. Read this review as well that also makes me think 18" will be spot on :-

http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/first-ride-review-radon-swoop-170/

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 9:06 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
Cool that's very reassuring, I'm more confident now 18" is the correct choice. Read this review as well that also makes me think 18" will be spot on :-

http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/first-ride-review-radon-swoop-170/

I went for an 18", I'm 173cm, reverb is about 1cm too tall for me. I reckon you'll feel at home on the 18.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 14:21 Quote
Great the post order nerves I ordered the wrong one have gone. I went for the 8.0 build, well looking forward to getting it, it's replacing a Commencal Supreme FR that I had been using for uplift stuff as a DH / park bike, but as a result hardly gets used. I intend to race it at Tidworth Freeride - Hooper hooner in November, I think it will be more suitable for that sort of thing, the Commencal is such a tank and not being the full DH version is all a bit too much of a compromise at everything.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 0:38 Quote
StevieJB I ordered the 8.0 too. Can't wait. Replacing an Orange Alpine 160 that I used for everything: XC, Enduro, Uplift days, Trips to Morzine.

You'll have to let us know how your delivery goes mate. DHL are pretty shit. Mine was shipped from Coalville on Tuesday but I have no idea where it is now. I can't get hold of anyone to speak to. Some numbers are no longer in use, others just ring out.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 13:15 Quote
Here we go, this arrived yesterday to me in Malaga, Spain. I got an XL although everyone recommended L for my 186 cm height and 94 cm crouch and think it is fine. I am going find out how it rides this weekend Big Grin The Vivid came veeery soft, I am going to my LBS to get help setting it up. (I coming out of 8 year break of mtb so I am pretty new to all the suspension features, etc.)

What I can say is the bike looks much much better in real than on the photos!

I did an advance payment with bank transfer and Bike-Discount did very well updating me via email on every step of the process. Delivery to Spain took about 10 days. DHL was moving quick until it reached Madrid where tracking updates ceased for a few days so I called them and they organized delivery on the next day. Overall pretty good customer experience I would say.

My brand new straight-out-of-the-box Radon Swoop 8.0

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 15:51 Quote
Mine arrived this morning whilst I was a work. Luckily my missus was in because they didn't let me know first that they were delivering it today.

Awesome bike in the flesh tough as apetrov said. Gonna invisiframe it tomorrow and then take it out for the day on Sat.

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024873
Mobile Version of Website