Radon Owners Thread!

PB Forum :: Other
Radon Owners Thread!
Author Message
Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 0:53 Quote
What shock are you running? Mines got a custom tuned Vivid Air on it and it’s too plush if anything. I need to up the amount volume spacers to increase the end stroke ramp up.

It’s all down to the set up. The frame itself is pretty linear.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 1:18 Quote
yetiboyjay wrote:
What shock are you running? Mines got a custom tuned Vivid Air on it and it’s too plush if anything. I need to up the amount volume spacers to increase the end stroke ramp up.

It’s all down to the set up. The frame itself is pretty linear.

I'm running a Fox dpx2 performance. I have tried different pressure, compression and rebound but still it feels quite harsh.

I don't know much about suspension but is it possible to tune the suspension without bringing it to a shop?

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 1:39 Quote
Did the shock come with the frame from new? If it’s not sensitive off the top it probably needs the air spring tuning. So in essence run lower pressures to get the sensitivity but add volume spacers to get it to ramp up through the travel.

Alternatively you can look at Luftkappe or fox sleeves to change the air spring characteristics.

From there I’d be looking at your compression adjustments on the shock. If you can’t get it right then get it to a specialist for a tune (for you and the bike).

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 3:15 Quote
yetiboyjay wrote:
Did the shock come with the frame from new? If it’s not sensitive off the top it probably needs the air spring tuning. So in essence run lower pressures to get the sensitivity but add volume spacers to get it to ramp up through the travel.

Alternatively you can look at Luftkappe or fox sleeves to change the air spring characteristics.

From there I’d be looking at your compression adjustments on the shock. If you can’t get it right then get it to a specialist for a tune (for you and the bike).

Yeah the shock came new and the bike is not that old.

Thanks for the tips!

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 3:17 Quote
DylanRodriguez28 wrote:
Recently went on a ride on my old trail bike with 135mm of travel. I noticed that the suspension felt a lot more plush than on the radon swoop. Is this just a question of my setup or the factory tune.

If it's the factory tune, then is there a way to make it feel less harsh?

Is there any other reason as to why the suspension feels so rough?

Sounds like it could be your set up. My 2018 170 is super plush, with a Fox X2 shock, and 36’s.
Runs at around 30% sag, with some volume reducers to help with the ramp up at the end of the stroke, plus a click or two high speed compression above Fox’s setup recommendations.
I run a Vivid Air/Boxxers on a 2017 Swoop 200 as well, and that’s plush too, although with less adjustment options that the X2 (no bad thing!) Run 30% sag on that.
How much low speed compression are you running? If it’s too much, it will feel harsh on small bumps and roots.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 4:53 Quote
ratboy158 wrote:
DylanRodriguez28 wrote:
Recently went on a ride on my old trail bike with 135mm of travel. I noticed that the suspension felt a lot more plush than on the radon swoop. Is this just a question of my setup or the factory tune.

If it's the factory tune, then is there a way to make it feel less harsh?

Is there any other reason as to why the suspension feels so rough?

Sounds like it could be your set up. My 2018 170 is super plush, with a Fox X2 shock, and 36’s.
Runs at around 30% sag, with some volume reducers to help with the ramp up at the end of the stroke, plus a click or two high speed compression above Fox’s setup recommendations.
I run a Vivid Air/Boxxers on a 2017 Swoop 200 as well, and that’s plush too, although with less adjustment options that the X2 (no bad thing!) Run 30% sag on that.
How much low speed compression are you running? If it’s too much, it will feel harsh on small bumps and roots.
I have around 30% sag with the low speed compression fully open. My rebound is about 3-4 clicks from the fastest setting (don't think this is the issue though).

I never use all the travel unless I make a big mistake or land flat so I originally doubted that it was my setup. Should I close the compression a bit?

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
You should bottom out after a big impact- the travel is there to use. Adding compression will make it firmer.

I’d be looking at tuning the spring curve.

Less air= more supple
Volume spacers= more ramp up to prevent constant bottoming/wallowing.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
Found a bit of an issue with my Swoop linkage earlier today and I'm a bit gutted if it's as bad as I worry it is.

The metal part of the upper shock bushing has been wearing the linkage rocker - looks fairly worn and was making a horrible noise on my last ride. I had the shock serviced about 6 months ago and wasn't like this then.

Anyone know where I could get a replacement or whether there is a fix for this? I've dropped Radon a line but not heard anything back yet. Hopefully they'll take care of it some how.


Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 11:18 Quote
Was bushing pin seized in the bushing, the bolt was loose or both?
How deep is damage to the link, is it cracked around the pin(hard to tell from the photo)? Might have to use longer pin to keep alignment straight in case the link is not completely destroyed.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
void wrote:
Was bushing pin seized in the bushing, the bolt was loose or both?
How deep is damage to the link, is it cracked around the pin(hard to tell from the photo)? Might have to use longer pin to keep alignment straight in case the link is not completely destroyed.

Now you mention it i think it is as it is fairly fixed rather than floating - should it float about?

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 22:11 Quote
It’s been pivoting on that linkage and not inside the shock eyelet.

I’d look to see if you can get a new roller bearing style eyelet to fit. Enduro and now Fox I believe do them.

To be honest that doesn’t look bad at all.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 0:13 Quote
yetiboyjay wrote:
It’s been pivoting on that linkage and not inside the shock eyelet.

I’d look to see if you can get a new roller bearing style eyelet to fit. Enduro and now Fox I believe do them.

To be honest that doesn’t look bad at all.

Cheers for this - a glimmer of hope.

Don/t suppose you know what size the top mount on the Swoop 170 is?

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 0:40 Quote
My Swoop linkage did the same thing. I ended up with massive play in the linkage. Radon replaced all the mounting hardware eventually but the problem came back within a few weeks.

After another round of emails I was eventually sent new linkage plates and hardware. The bike has been fine since then. Getting parts is like getting blood out of a stone with Radon. My advice would be constant emails and phone calls...
Incidentally the replacement linkage was different to the original.
https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/17884430/

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 4:50 Quote
the-search wrote:
My Swoop linkage did the same thing. I ended up with massive play in the linkage. Radon replaced all the mounting hardware eventually but the problem came back within a few weeks.

After another round of emails I was eventually sent new linkage plates and hardware. The bike has been fine since then. Getting parts is like getting blood out of a stone with Radon. My advice would be constant emails and phone calls...
Incidentally the replacement linkage was different to the original.
https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/17884430/

Cheers for the advice. Interesting looking plate, if they have designed and made up some plates makes me think they might have a load stashed some where.


Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 10:52 Quote
Rear shock hardware pins not rotating in the shock eyelet bush is unfortunately a common problem on mountain bikes. They're not a great design. On my last three bikes I've replaced the end that rotates the most with RWC needle bearings. Makes your rear shock super sensitive too, to the extent where you need to dial in the rebound adjuster a couple of clicks.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012025
Mobile Version of Website