Stumpjumper 2016 handlebar rise 10mm vs 25mm

PB Forum :: Specialized
Stumpjumper 2016 handlebar rise 10mm vs 25mm
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 19:15 Quote
HI Guys,

I have a 2016 FSR elite 29 Stumpy with 750mm wide 10mm rise handle bars. The newer model has a 25mm rise handle bar. Feels very different - cornering radius seems smaller. Would like to know if the 25mm lower rise bars will help in more tech terrain?

Posted: Apr 8, 2017 at 11:26 Quote
Fsrelite wrote:
HI Guys,

I have a 2016 FSR elite 29 Stumpy with 750mm wide 10mm rise handle bars. The newer model has a 25mm rise handle bar. Feels very different - cornering radius seems smaller. Would like to know if the 25mm lower rise bars will help in more tech terrain?
I would say the rise difference will affect every rider in its own way. Some find it comfortable, and others may not. My friend has complete flat bar, because the rise doesn't work for him or the bike. I have switched the handlebars on my 2014 Stumpy about three times until I found the right one for me.

The original one was 720mm with 10mm rise. I later switched on to a 750 with 10mm rise, but It still didn't feel right, I am 6ft with broad shoulders. So finally ordered a 800mm, 30mm rise Spank bars, and luckily they worked out to be perfect! Much better handling, and for the first time, I could really feel the bike moving beneath me.

So, it all goes to personal preference and testing. The first thing to check for, is your correct body position depending upon your riding style. Visit the local bike shop, and they could help you. I personally didn't had a liberty to test before buying, since here in India we don't have a wide variety of good bike brands, let alone components.

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 at 14:36 Quote
dhananjay151293 wrote:

The original one was 720mm with 10mm rise. I later switched on to a 750 with 10mm rise, but It still didn't feel right, I am 6ft with broad shoulders. So finally ordered a 800mm, 30mm rise Spank bars, and luckily they worked out to be perfect! Much better handling, and for the first time, I could really feel the bike moving beneath me.

Out of curiosity - how wide are your shoulders from bone-to-bone? Trying to get a comparison as to which width I can start with... thx

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 9:23 Quote
We put a lot of 785 Atlas bars with 45mm stems on stumpjumpers around here. That bike is so capable that it really responds well to this change.

mk

Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 11:25 Quote
+1

I removed the 720 oem bars and the 90mm stem off my stumpy 29r fsr comp in favor for some Spank 800's and a 60 stem on my XL sized frame.

Woke the bike up 100%, feels soo good now, after only one ride. I don't feel the front wheel fighting me anymore on tighter turns and that turn in is mint now. Al-thou, I do pucker up a bit when I see some close looking trees and have already bounced my bars ends off some things.

10/10 will Hoon again.

Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 15:02 Quote
TrailWerksCyclery wrote:
We put a lot of 785 Atlas bars with 45mm stems on stumpjumpers around here. That bike is so capable that it really responds well to this change.

mk

Isn't the Atlas 785 having too much rise? The OEM bars are almost straight, and I would want to keep that front wheel down as much as possible...

Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 15:22 Quote
bzx wrote:
TrailWerksCyclery wrote:

mk

Isn't the Atlas 785 having too much rise? The OEM bars are almost straight, and I would want to keep that front wheel down as much as possible...
The least available is I guess a 13mm rise, which isn't much and wouldn't differ much from your OEM bars.

Sorry, but I didn't measure across the shoulder width yet.

P.S. I have a 30 mm rise handlebar, and the front wheel sticks right there even when climbing. I think you should go for a 10-20 mm rise, and you will be fine going both, uphill and downhill.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009994
Mobile Version of Website