Madeira or Malaga?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 1, 2017 at 9:35 Quote
Can anyone give a bit of advice which would be the better riding on enduro bikes round about March time?
Cheers

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 at 11:55 Quote
morgaj31 wrote:
Can anyone give a bit of advice which would be the better riding on enduro bikes round about March time?
Cheers

Come to Portugal, you've got lousa, Sintra and Terras de Bouro (check for in nature on fb).

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 at 12:22 Quote
Never been to Malaga but Madeira wont dissapoint you, best rides I've done: from 1800m to sea level crossing breath taking views on very nice trails, checkout FreeRideMadeira webpage and facebook, they are the go to guys to show you around,beware that March is their seasson high so could be tricky to book.
If youre taking your own bike and ride with some locals on a budget also check KamikazeBus facebook page:
https://m.facebook.com/kamikazebus2015/

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 6:23 Quote
Madeira is highly recommended. So much variety in the terrain, it will blow your mind. It's like being in 3 different countries in one day.

Freeride Madeira are super. Do the enduro tour with them for a few days, its worth it

If you bring your own bike, I recommend 160mm suspension front and 203mm rotor front on 4 piston calipers. Magic Mary in the soft super gravity compound front and a grippy rear tire is a must. I used the 2.4 minion dhr 2 3c. But could have used a more grippy one.

Also, nice people and good beer there. .

The guide told me that Madeira is best in spring time. Not overly hot but comfortable and very stable weather

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 8:51 Quote
I'm going to Malaga 19th March to 25th, booked with sierraMTB, I'm going on my own and joining in with whoever else is there in case you don't want to be the only loner in a group ;-). I'll be on an NS Snabb T 140mm rear 160mm front. Zee's, MM super gravity rear and MM snakeskin front, both trail star compound, hopefully that setup should be ok.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 5:30 Quote
Cheers for the feedback dudes.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 7:17 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
I'm going to Malaga 19th March to 25th, booked with sierraMTB, I'm going on my own and joining in with whoever else is there in case you don't want to be the only loner in a group ;-). I'll be on an NS Snabb T 140mm rear 160mm front. Zee's, MM super gravity rear and MM snakeskin front, both trail star compound, hopefully that setup should be ok.

Might be worth considering a different rear tyre dude. Even if there's uplift assistance with Sierra there's still a lot of pedalling and traversing hillsides out there (been heaps with Ciclo Montana) so it pays to have a faster rolling rear tyre. Last time I was out I ran a SG Rock Razor which was ace. WTB Trail Boss Tough and Spesh Grid Slaughter were also being run to good effect.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 11:16 Quote
Cheers for the advice, yeah they are not the fastest rolling.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 14:58 Quote
I went to Madeira in November, took 160mm Mega and it was MORE than enough. Trails were awesome, i rode with Freeride Madeira.

Summit to consider, I went with my missus and stayed in Funchal and there is not a lot going on in terms of nightlife(could have been the time of year) We ain't party animals, but we do like a few drinks after food each night and we struggled to get this.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 15:01 Quote
Oh n don't hire a car, we did n it cost a fortune! Expensive to rent initially, everywhere is pay display parking(inc our 5* hotel) and a wheel trim got stolen off ours costing us 75€ on return, would have been 250€ plus if we didn't have top insurance package!

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 18:20 Quote
I'm hoping to spend 1-2 months in Madiera from Oct... interested to see where this goes

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 22:41 Quote
Damn i like to do that.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 4:33 Quote
marko369 wrote:
Oh n don't hire a car, we did n it cost a fortune! Expensive to rent initially, everywhere is pay display parking(inc our 5* hotel) and a wheel trim got stolen off ours costing us 75€ on return, would have been 250€ plus if we didn't have top insurance package!

There are alternatives Smile
We rented a mini-van (9 seat) from a car mechanic for 10 days, if I'm not mistaken it was roughly 500€.
If you don't want to handle those little details go with FreerideMadeira,its not cheap but they will handle everything:you get insurance,guides,etc... and even pick you up at the hotel so you dont need to rent a car.
But...if you're on a budget: talk with the locals Wink

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.010905
Mobile Version of Website