Avid brakes Compalint.

PB Forum :: SRAM
Avid brakes Compalint.
Posted: Oct 25, 2010 at 12:05 Quote
Instructions here and yes you will need a bleed kit.

Posted: Oct 25, 2010 at 16:47 Quote
spunky888spanky wrote:
sorry if its been covered but has any one changed the pistons on juicy 7s. there is a sort of pin on the piston that stops the brake pads coming out which has snapped off. will i need a bleed kit? and how do i do it? Any one who knows please help me!!!

Eas a pie..

1. Remove the brake pads.

2. Hook a bleed Syringe to the LEver and clamp it ( make sure pads are Fully out position Ie. piston futhest int caliper body )

3. remove brake caliper from mount ( keep oil Away from the rotor )

4. separate caliper body into 2 segmets by loosenig the coupling bolts

5. Dial pads All the way out ( on lever ) and grab the pistons from the body with pliers and pull Straight Out ( away from Caliper Body ) using a slight twisting motion if needed to break the seal.

6. Insert remove old seal ( pretty sure I remember it being just an o ring ) and install new OILED o ring seal and press pston body into Slot. OIL all Pieces. thuroughly.

.. now jdial the pads back to the fully in positiopn and clean the works with cleaner and re assemble.

Install new pads and clean the rotor, maybe scratch it a little with emery cloth first .
and bleed the system. done

Since you kept the top syringe installed throughout , and option here is to press fluid out ( remember its toxic ) before you press the new pistons in and then you don't even really need to bleed the system since you never lost the fluid in the lines, un clamp the syringe as you presss the pistons in it will pressure the system, throttle the brakes a few times and then burp the air from the lever.

Bleeding: often its simplly easier to just attach 1 syringe to the top of the lever ( with pistons dialed all the way in ) and burp the air bubble on avids then to do full bleedsSalute

Total time 20 min first time under 10 after that time . Smile

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 5:30 Quote
you the man!!!!! cheers dude. gonna order the parts today. also found a pdf instuction manual which shows you how to do it. i will let u know if i have any problems. thanks again Salute tup

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 17:42 Quote
no worrys man. I find lso Beeding the rear brake With Cold ( refrigerated ) fluid, slowly works better also The cold fluid presses the air out better and also Expands to force bubbles to the Lever top When It returns to room temperature, giving a better and less spongey feeling to the brake. I find the front is alwaays good and the rear ( unless i do this ) always lacks some feel and power.

Goodridge brake lines also are sweet on rear to combad loss of power due to cable flex.

Salute

Posted: Nov 28, 2010 at 12:14 Quote
I had 2007 codes and had nothing but problems from squealing chattering and leaking out fluid from the pad control knob, I sent them back 4 times and the same problems occurred , the fifth time I sent them in I sent a letter stating how much they sucked and I was going to switch manufactures if the problem was not fixed and they sent me the 2011 models as replacements for my 2007's free of charge, and I have to say they are pretty amazing, and very sexy, it is about time they changed the design, tapedbore lever and the caliper is different as well, they are a little harder to set up with a bleeder on only one bank of the caliper but once they are bled look out

Posted: Nov 28, 2010 at 12:18 Quote
collisionman wrote:
I had 2007 codes and had nothing but problems from squealing chattering and leaking out fluid from the pad control knob, I sent them back 4 times and the same problems occurred , the fifth time I sent them in I sent a letter stating how much they sucked and I was going to switch manufactures if the problem was not fixed and they sent me the 2011 models as replacements for my 2007's free of charge, and I have to say they are pretty amazing, and very sexy, it is about time they changed the design, taperbore lever and the caliper is different as well, they are a little harder to set up with a bleeder on only one bank of the caliper but once they are bled look out

Posted: Nov 28, 2010 at 17:01 Quote
Yeah, I got Code 5 brakes in 2010. They're nice brakes, but if only I had waited one more year for the 2011 stuff...

Posted: Dec 10, 2010 at 17:01 Quote
plutonium10 wrote:
Yeah, I got Code 5 brakes in 2010. They're nice brakes, but if only I had waited one more year for the 2011 stuff...
they are sick!!!!!!!!!!! But I have 3 sets of pads for the last model and they don't fit but the boys at cyclesoloutions are awesome so I may be able to swap them . But the 2011s make no noise andthey don't chatter I am so f*cken happy

Posted: Dec 11, 2010 at 10:00 Quote
I've never had problems with noise on mine so far, but it seems that the new (2011) brakes are a fair bit firmer, probably due to better hoses among other mechanical factors. I might get some Goodridge cables because I've had these brakes bled twice at home and in two different shops and they're still kind of squishy. Having said that, the factory bleed was HORRIBLE so they may just need a couple more bleeds.

Posted: Dec 11, 2010 at 12:15 Quote
avids always need re-bleeding, goodridge lines wont change that but they do make the brakes feel more solid..

Bleed from the lever after big days riding, no need to do a complete bleed.

Posted: Dec 11, 2010 at 20:39 Quote
Yeah, I've done the lever bleed once and it helped but my bike is needing repairs so I haven't ridden lately or bled them again.

Posted: Dec 5, 2012 at 17:34 Quote
they suck just spent a hour bleeding one avid elixir and it's still soft

Posted: Dec 5, 2012 at 17:42 Quote
2453 wrote:
avid brakes are the biggest piece the way that you bleed them is stupid they are the worst brake that i have ever worked on in my life and im a bike mech the guy that invented them should be shot the best way to bleed a brake is the way you bleed shimano brakes fill the lever pump it and open the caliper the same way that you bleed car brakes makes sense avid's suck you cold not give me a avid brake for free

Whoever taught you English should be shot. Please learn how to use periods.

What's your issues with the bleeding method? Always seems to work well for me.

Posted: Dec 6, 2012 at 9:36 Quote
Sherb falling into the grave dig too.

Posted: Dec 6, 2012 at 11:02 Quote
2453 wrote:
they suck just spent a hour bleeding one avid elixir and it's still soft

I like how you edited your comment rather than explaining. You're a bad mechanic if it takes you that long and it's still done poorly. Avid has a fairly good guide on their method, and if you do it correctly, they will be bled correctly.

And it's already bumped, so whatevar.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015071
Mobile Version of Website