Wider front tire than rear?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Wider front tire than rear?
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 11:16 Quote
Just curious how many of you out there ride a wider front tire than rear? I noticed a lot of people mentioning this in the tire width poll that pb posted.

If you do run a wider front, why? Does it lead to better steering traction? What are the benefits of a narrower rear tire? Do you mix and match rim widths as well?

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 11:58 Quote
yes big fat tire out front grips better. narrow one out back rolls better but still gets grip becaues most of my weight is pressing it into the ground so dont need as big a contact patch to begin with. if humans made any horse power like motor bikes we would have a big one out back aswell to get the power down but we dont so why have the drag

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 16:49 Quote
Hi. It is true bigger at front more grip, thinner at back faster rolling. But I often wonder how many people have a thinner tyre at back due to that being the biggest size tyre that will fit their frame. I personally have a magic Mary evo 2.35 (massive tyre)on the front and a high roller2 2.3 (spot on size)on the back of both my bikes , not because i planned to have a smaller tyre on back but because that's biggest size both of them will take.Although for sure you can feel the difference in speed with thinner tyres. I had a high roller 2.35 (cheek to call it a 2.35 more like barely a 2.2)on the back of my hardtail for a brief time, it was quick, I would say a bit quicker than my high roller 2 2.3, but didn't suit the bike. That's what I think anyway.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 16:04 Quote
That's an old BMX thing. . . Never wanted the front to lose grip before the rear. That hurts ! ! !

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 at 14:22 Quote
My friend is riding plus size tyre on front and normal on rear and he says it's one of best things he ever did.

Posted: Jan 5, 2017 at 10:28 Quote
Interesting... I've been considering my next tire setup and I think I'll be going wider.

I've tried both the 650b plus tires and the 29er skinny tires while demoing my bike (I've got a spec enduro 17') and while the plus were fun as hell and my strava times improved on the dh runs, I didn't like the lack of trail feedback or the absorption of energy while trying to bunny hop.

That said there was undeniable advantages to the higher volume tires. Makes me want to try a wider 2.4/2.5 tire setup out to see if it's the sweet spot. Reading some of your responses and I think I may try 2.4 in the rear and a 2.5 up front.

Be interesting to see how the extra width on the 29er compares to the 650b+

Posted: Jan 5, 2017 at 12:39 Quote
Paxx wrote:
Interesting... I've been considering my next tire setup and I think I'll be going wider.

I've tried both the 650b plus tires and the 29er skinny tires while demoing my bike (I've got a spec enduro 17') and while the plus were fun as hell and my strava times improved on the dh runs, I didn't like the lack of trail feedback or the absorption of energy while trying to bunny hop.

That said there was undeniable advantages to the higher volume tires. Makes me want to try a wider 2.4/2.5 tire setup out to see if it's the sweet spot. Reading some of your responses and I think I may try 2.4 in the rear and a 2.5 up front.

Be interesting to see how the extra width on the 29er compares to the 650b+

On the Enduro in the 29 configuration I'd definitely opt for a combo like that. Given that you're on that big of a bike, I'm guessing that you're willing to give up some efficiency to shred the downhill. With that in mind, I'd recommend that you go all-in on your beefy tire experiment. By "all-in" I mean Minion DHF 2.5 in front and DHR II 2.4 tubeless in back, or maybe a tomahawk if you like something rounder and faster rolling. Also make sure to get the DH casing (double down) and go tubeless. Pump to your preferred pressure and commence a$$-kicking.

Also, if you haven't gone for wider rims yet then I *highly* encourage you to do so. Riding a DH casing 2.5 on a 30mm-ish internal width rim is incredible. Better traction at lower pressures with better sensitivity to small bumps, all without jacking trail feedback. The only reason I haven't gotten a set of Ibis 935's yet is because I enjoy being married...

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 13:03 Quote
I'm already all over the minions! Had them on my old bike and I didn't let the new one leave the shop without them! Only thing is I went for the 2.3's.

I came off a 2016 enduro comp 650b and this 29er climbs so much better it's unbelievable. I didn't mind climbing with the comp at all, but I think the plus setup on the 29er is still a much better climber. I see the wide 29 tires still pedalling up great compared to my old bike and the plus tires so I'm definitely willing to sacrifice a bit of that efficiency for the ride down.

I'm a fit 6'3, 220lbs so I don't really find this bike too big. I actually found the 650b to be a bit squirrelly while this is amazingly stable and still reasonably flickable.

The bike came with a 29mm inner so ill just stick with that width for the wheelset. I'm actually getting excited enough about the thought of this set up that I'm considering selling the 2.3's even though they're brand new still ha ha.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 10:55 Quote
Think about it this way - which tire would you rather have losing traction and breaking free in a turn? It's much easier to regain control of a drifting rear wheel than it is a sliding front tire, and running a slightly wider front tire helps keep that front end locked into the turns. That front tire is also the first portion of the bike to encounter an obstacle, so it makes sense to have a little bigger cushion for those initial impacts. It also wouldn't hurt to go with a stickier rubber compound up front for extra grip in the steeps - don't forget, the are multiple factors that go into choosing the right tire, and it can take a little experimentation to find the combination of width, tread design, and rubber compound that works the best for your riding area.

On a related note, you'll also see riders running a more aggressive tire up front paired with a semi-slick option on the back, something along the lines of a Specialized Slaughter or Schwalbe Rock Razor. The same reasoning applies to this scenario - in the right conditions, the front tire provides enough traction that it's possible to shed some rolling resistance by going with a lower profile rear tire.

As to mixing and matching rim widths, I wouldn't say that that's necessary. Yes, Mavic does make wheelsets that come with a wider front rim than rear, and you will occasionally see racers running a wider front rim matched with a narrower rear, but for the vast majority of riders, there's not going to be a noticeable performance gain out on the trail.

*Edit* - I'm with @zsandstrom as far as tire recommendations go. Here in the PNW, a 2.5" Maxxis DHF up front and a 2.4" or 2.3" DHR II in the rear is my go-to setup for any wheelsize.

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 14:18 Quote
Paxx wrote:
I'm already all over the minions! Had them on my old bike and I didn't let the new one leave the shop without them! Only thing is I went for the 2.3's.

I came off a 2016 enduro comp 650b and this 29er climbs so much better it's unbelievable. I didn't mind climbing with the comp at all, but I think the plus setup on the 29er is still a much better climber. I see the wide 29 tires still pedalling up great compared to my old bike and the plus tires so I'm definitely willing to sacrifice a bit of that efficiency for the ride down.

I'm a fit 6'3, 220lbs so I don't really find this bike too big. I actually found the 650b to be a bit squirrelly while this is amazingly stable and still reasonably flickable.

The bike came with a 29mm inner so ill just stick with that width for the wheelset. I'm actually getting excited enough about the thought of this set up that I'm considering selling the 2.3's even though they're brand new still ha ha.

Yeah there's a world from difference moving from the 2.3 dhf to the 2.5 with the downhill casing. Between the extra 0.2" of width, the thicker sidewall, increased volume,and slightly lower pressure the improved traction is pretty in-your-face. (Edit: the rolling resistance is a little worse; but it's more "in-your-hamstrings" than "in-your-face")

Also, I guess I should have replaced "that big of a bike" with "a 165mm travel slacked-out 29er whose riding goal is literally in its name."

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 22:59 Quote
Ha ha ok I'm sold!

Next set of tires is a 2.5DHF in the 3C and a 2.4DHRII in a dual!

Really appreciate all the feedback from you guys!

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 at 6:28 Quote
I run a bigger 2.5 Chunky tyre up front and a thinner tyre out back as it s does roll better and the front grip is much more important. You will 99% of the time not save a big front wheel slip but a rear one (drift) is totally controlable.

Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 20:30 Quote
Just got a 2.5 DHF for the front and a 2.35 Nobby Nic for the back of my '17 enduro 29er. Taking it up to killington this weekend to see how it fares. Running tubes in at this point (big dent in the rear rim) but I think I'll be able to get a good feel for it. I'll let you know how it runs!

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 16:45 Quote
snowwcold55 wrote:
Just got a 2.5 DHF for the front and a 2.35 Nobby Nic for the back of my '17 enduro 29er. Taking it up to killington this weekend to see how it fares. Running tubes in at this point (big dent in the rear rim) but I think I'll be able to get a good feel for it. I'll let you know how it runs!

How did you like the new set up?

I just bought a 2018 Giant Trance Advanced 0 and swapped out to the 2.6 Minions front and rear. This bike is a lot more slacker than my previous and I am having a learning curve in the turns. I am also washing a bit in the turns so I was thinking of getting the 2.8 for the front but I don't want to make the turning any slower than it is. I am coming from fat and then 650B 3.0 tires on a rigid. But the bike had a steep head tube angle and was fast turning on single track.

Thoughts?

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 19:07 Quote
I also run a wider rim on the front

Previous Page |

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.011434
Mobile Version of Website