Looking for advice on a bulletproof wheel build for a 235lb rider

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Looking for advice on a bulletproof wheel build for a 235lb rider
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Jan 5, 2017 at 5:10 Quote
hey there. im looking for some advice on wheels. first set I had on my bike were a set of wtb i23's. they came on the bike and within a dozen rides, had flat spotted the rear wheel and tweaked the front one a bit. trueing almost brought it back into true. the next and current set is a set of Easton arc 30's. I ran them all summer and have maintained true but I have dented them in two places and flat spotted the rear. I like the wider rim because with the i23's I was burping the tires every ride and wasn't with the arc 30's. so what has everyone had good luck with?

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 at 16:14 Quote
Hi. You don't say which model of wtb i23 they were. Were they the koms? I'd be surprised if they were the frequency team model, there not the lightest but really strong and go up to i29. If they weren't frequency look at their reviews. I got a new set of wtb frequency team i25 on dt Swiss 350 hubs, including drive body off eBay uk , for £260. Last time I looked they still had some in various sizes. I weigh 102.5 kilo's so I'm no light weight. Haven't had the wheelsets that long but had no problems with them. And their easy to go tubeless with. I use magic Mary evo/high roller 2 with them , seems to be a good combination.hipe this helps

Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 19:09 Quote
Im 225lbs running Stans Flow MK3. I ride hard, almost never choosing the smooth line over the rough for the fun factor. I have cased doubles, run too low pressure in rocks and felt the rim hit, and I once dislocated my shoulder after running wide out of a corner. I was standing up, mashing hard in a tall gear when I got off line and nailed a downed tree hard with the front wheel. My water bottle ejected from the cage and flew 20ft. When the wheel impacted, I heard the spokes twang and just new I had taco'd the rim. After inspecting my bike the wheel was perfectly straight as it was before the crash. I cannot recommend these rims enough.

FL
Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 3:48 Quote
i have heard really good things about these. I'm seriously considering them. the only thing that was holding me back was the face that the people telling me they loved them were 165 pounds. thanks for the input. if i go this route ill either lace them to some dt swiss or hope hubs.

EzBob wrote:
Im 225lbs running Stans Flow MK3. I ride hard, almost never choosing the smooth line over the rough for the fun factor. I have cased doubles, run too low pressure in rocks and felt the rim hit, and I once dislocated my shoulder after running wide out of a corner. I was standing up, mashing hard in a tall gear when I got off line and nailed a downed tree hard with the front wheel. My water bottle ejected from the cage and flew 20ft. When the wheel impacted, I heard the spokes twang and just new I had taco'd the rim. After inspecting my bike the wheel was perfectly straight as it was before the crash. I cannot recommend these rims enough.

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 7:43 Quote
I run between 220-237 lbs and am on a pair of Mavic Crossmax XL on my hardtail and 2 different sets DT Swiss E1700 on my trail and AM bikes. So far no issues and i like to take the rockier lines. I like the Crossmax a bit better as they seem to take more of a beating on my AM hardtail and are pretty light....that and I scored them for $380 new from REI.

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 4:55 Quote
CableGuy5586 wrote:
hey there. im looking for some advice on wheels. first set I had on my bike were a set of wtb i23's. they came on the bike and within a dozen rides, had flat spotted the rear wheel and tweaked the front one a bit. trueing almost brought it back into true. the next and current set is a set of Easton arc 30's. I ran them all summer and have maintained true but I have dented them in two places and flat spotted the rear. I like the wider rim because with the i23's I was burping the tires every ride and wasn't with the arc 30's. so what has everyone had good luck with?

Based on what you've posted it sounds like you're just not running enough air pressure to protect your rims from hard hits. Aluminum has a low modulus of elasticity, so where a carbon wheel will flex under an impact and snap back into shape an aluminum rim will usually just deform and then stay that way. Sure, if you buy a carbon wheel it might crack some day instead of bending, but nothing is indestructible and if you're careful in your choices you'll still wind up with something lighter, stronger, and probably better handling as well. The heaviest rider I build for is weighing in at 285lb lately and right now he's on 28 spokes and a 40mm external width carbon rim and it's doing fine under him.

Without more detailed information about your ride, riding style, tire choice, air pressure, and riding area conditions it's hard to make a really definitive diagnosis of the problem or the cure, but at first glance I'd recommend a carbon wheel with an internal width of about 28-34mm, 28 spokes, spoke tensions of around 110-120 kgf, and probably 5-8 psi more air pressure.

If you're dead set on staying with aluminum, I'd say that most high quality aluminum rims will meet your needs with a little more air pressure in the tires, and a 32 spoke count, but without more air you're probably just setting yourself up to be pissed off about a different rim with a good reputation. Tire pressure is a balancing act between handling characteristics and rim protection. To get more of one you have to give up some of the other. WTB, Stan's, Hope, DT, etc. all make really good aluminum rims and in my personal opinion none of them are head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to durability.

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2017 at 11:37 Quote
I don't have any specific wheel recommendation for you, but a little wider rim and tire combo will certainly help. I have a riding buddy who tears through rims. He only weighs about 195, but he tries to run super low tire pressures, and prefers to "let the bike do the work" rather than weighting and unweighting over obstacles. Tire pressure and riding style can make a huge difference. One of the new foam insert systems might be worth a try too. Sure, they seem like an overpriced strip of foam, but they seem to work, and are a lot cheaper than buying two sets of rims every year.

Posted: Feb 26, 2017 at 8:49 Quote
EzBob wrote:

I second this. I'm 195lbs and I run Flow MK3 rims on Hope Pro4 hubs. They seem bombproof so far.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012646
Mobile Version of Website