What bike to buy to get back into riding?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What bike to buy to get back into riding?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 13:27 Quote
Evening,
I've been out of riding for 8 years now but really itching to get back into it! A friend has lent me an old hardtail for something to have a ride about on which has been great fun and bought back many memories! but was after some advise on what bikes to look out for to buy?
Although I used to ride a hardtail on local jumps and parks etc I would now like to have a good go at riding trails, a bit of downhill and some jumps! Therefore Was thinking of a full-sus, possibly trail bike with around 140/150 mm travel! Probably looking to buy second hand first until I get hooked again and start looking at some new bikes!!
Any advise or tips would be great!
Cheers Ryan

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 5:40 Quote
Hi there.
I was recently told about a company called BIRD. They use a direct sale model, akin to YT and Canyon. The bikes look very good indeed and and the reviews are great also. They are based about 30 mins from you and I heard they do demos. Defo worth a look! I know you said second hand, but it'll give you comparison base if you get to demo more.

https://www.bird.bike

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 14:45 Quote
If I was you I'd look at hiring a full suspension bike and see how you get on. Most bike shops at trail centres will do a 'premium' hire bike. That or some shops do demo days where you can try lots of bikes out - you may end up buying a second hand bike anyway, but at least when you do you know exactly what you want... Plus if you are riding locally you know it will suit you and the area - riding in Norfolk is not the same as Wales! I haven't ridden Wimborne (Dorset?) but if I'm correct there's not that much in super steep hills in which case a lower travel bike *may* suit you better?

Also there are negatives to owning a full suspension bike, namely more difficult cleaning, higher weight, less pedalling efficiency and MUCH higher initial costs and servicing costs. Servicing a (hardtail) fork only costs around £100. Servicing a fork and shock costs £200, plus bearings need to be intermittently replaced which all adds up over the course of ownership. Saying that I think they are nice to ride and have one myself!

Also, don't discount new. Lots of places have good sales if you buy at the right time of year and/or do finance, and some bikes like the Yt Jeffsey are very cheap for the specification...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007600
Mobile Version of Website