Single speed on my freeride bike?!

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Single speed on my freeride bike?!
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 21:36 Quote
Da-Moose wrote:
A friend and I both ran the Shimano Alfine tensioner, mine on my Ticket S, he on his Spesh SX. They worked very well and can be gotten very cheap. UNfortuantely with the 142 rear end on my ticket, I couldn't get a decent chainline, so now I'm running a short cage zee with a short cable to keep the tension where I want it. I prefer the Alfine though, and on a status it should work very well.

Hmm thats odd, the only difference between the 142 and the 135 rear end is the insets in the frame to be used as a guide to get the hub in, the distance between the inside of the frame (away from the insets) is still 135mm, so assuming the same thickness of the dropouts it shouldn't be a problem.

You can always use a longer bolt and pack out the space between the tensioner and the hanger to get the chain line right.

Also with using the dérailleur as a tensioner, what I have found to work well is to bend the bit of metal between the top and bottom jocky wheels out of the way and then just run the chain through the second wheel, it means you can run the tensioner higher, have more efficient chain wrap and it seams to drop less often, I think because a bit of moment here and there in the derailleur doesn't cause a shift because of the distance between the cog and the tensioner.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 14:35 Quote
Sweet set ups on your profile mate... hey I have a question when I'm taking the gears off and putting on the single speed would I need to shorten the chain? if so how do i know how short it should be. I got all the stuff yesterday just waiting for the new rear shock and to build it all together.

Sam

Da-Moose wrote:
A friend and I both ran the Shimano Alfine tensioner, mine on my Ticket S, he on his Spesh SX. They worked very well and can be gotten very cheap. UNfortuantely with the 142 rear end on my ticket, I couldn't get a decent chainline, so now I'm running a short cage zee with a short cable to keep the tension where I want it. I prefer the Alfine though, and on a status it should work very well.

FL
Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 15:16 Quote
Sambo007 wrote:
Sweet set ups on your profile mate... hey I have a question when I'm taking the gears off and putting on the single speed would I need to shorten the chain? if so how do i know how short it should be. I got all the stuff yesterday just waiting for the new rear shock and to build it all together.

Sam

Da-Moose wrote:

I misspoke earlier, I was super tired when I made my first reply, the 142 rear end had nothing to do with the chainline not working with the alfine, it had to do with the shitty bb setup on the ticket, I couldn't space the alfine out far enough and/or couldn't get the front chainring in far enough.

As far as your chain, as short as possible, but you want to make sure that under max compression you aren't going to run out of chain. The best way to set it up is to get it as short as possible while there is a little bit of movement in the tensioner, then let all of the air out of the shock and bottom the suspension out, and make sure the chain isn't too tight. Or just bottom the suspension out and set it as short as possible from that point.

EDIT: Just remembered that you're doing this on a status which I assume has a coil chock. In that case, you can eyeball it and leave it a touch longer than you think just to play it safe, or you can take the shock off and set it that way. But If you want to be really accurate, take the shock off, remove the coil, then put the shock back on and bottom it out to set it.

Posted: Feb 3, 2017 at 13:10 Quote
All done guys and it works great! 36 18 feels pretty good and smooth! Still raining in Spain so haven't gone to really test it yet!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015188
Mobile Version of Website