MTB trip to BC - Downhill or Enduro bike?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
MTB trip to BC - Downhill or Enduro bike?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 9:22 Quote
Hi there!

I am from Germany and a friend and me are planning right now a 3 week biking trip to BC from end of June until mid of July. This will be our first visit to BC (and might also be our last). So we want to do it as good as possible.

One big question we can't resolve right now is: Which bike should we bring along?
We both own a 160mm Enduro (Knolly Chilcotin / Canyon Strive 2014) and a Downhill bike (YT Tues CF / Canyon Torque FRX). Taking both bikes is not a good option due to the logistic challenge and also I don't think changing bikes all day won't help much since we always have to accustom to the other bike again and again.

Maybe some background about our preferences:
- Whistler is definitely one of our destinations, but also other regions, without a gondola like Squamish, Nelson or Pemberton (not yet finalized)
- We like riding in bikeparks but love also to explore more natural trails.
- My airtime skills are not that good (I don't dare that much) my friend is a little better and more motivated than me, but also no pro.

My main questions, I can't get an answer for, are:
- Are there enough shuttle possibilities aside the bikeparks to also explore the natural trails with a 200mm Big Bike? Or is an Enduro bike necessary for that?
- Will I miss the highlights of Canada Biking if I focus only on bike parks?
- Are the (famous) trails in Whistler outside the bikepark ridable with a 200mm big bike?
- Will it be fun to ride the BC bike parks with a 160mm Enduro bike?

My options are:
- Take the 200 mm big bike with me
- Take the 160 mm Enduro with me
- Upgrade the 160 mm Enduro with a 180mm fork (of course most expensive option)

What do you think we should do?
Any advice or additional information you could give us?

Thanks a lot!

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 18:30 Quote
What is your preferred bike to ride and and your preferred type of trail?

I say take your favorite.

The bike parks can be ridden on an enduro bike and some people even prefer the smaller bike. If you bring you enduro then you can ride anywhere and everywhere.

Now if you prefer to go as fast as possible on the the really steep and technical trails and doesn't mind hiking uphill then I would I choose the DH bike (my preference)

Most places around BC can be shuttled (may need a 4x4 for some) but there are a few that you can't and require pedaling or hiking your bike to the top.

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 18:58 Quote
Take the enduro bikes, if you feel outgunned at Whistler you can always rent a DH bike there.

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 19:44 Quote
Bring the Enduro and rent a DH for your days in the park if you feel the need. DH are readily available in Whistler.

There is a lifetime of trails in BC. You will barely make a dent in 3 weeks but will most certainly have a ball trying. Most of the North Shore- Squamish- Whistler (not park) and Pemberton trails will be a better experience on a bike you can ride up.

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 23:25 Quote
DugS wrote:
What is your preferred bike to ride and and your preferred type of trail?

I say take your favorite.

It's not that easy. Smile
I like both my bikes. For bikeparks I prefer the DH bike, for everything else I prefer the Enduro.
Of course I more often use the Enduro because I don't visit the bikepark that often and I also use it to do my workout on the hometrails. But for bikepark I definitely like to have the more stable feeling and the buffer (for riding failures) of my DH bike.

What trails do I like:
I don't like the big built features with much airtime and big drops, cause I don't have the balls for that.
I more like rooty and stony more natural trails with smaller kickers and built features. It can also be steep and technical, but not extreme.

DugS wrote:
Most places around BC can be shuttled (may need a 4x4 for some) but there are a few that you can't and require pedaling or hiking your bike to the top.

Do you know if there are usually some local shops or other companies that offer shuttles at the popular MTB locations around BC? Or would we have to organize the shuttles ourselves? Even if we bring our Enduros, we surely also would like to shuttle (in addition to riding up ourselves) just to increase our trail experience, cause we don't have the fitness to ride up 1000-2000 HM every day for 3 weeks. Big Grin

JonRides wrote:
Bring the Enduro and rent a DH for your days in the park if you feel the need. DH are readily available in Whistler.

Before I rent a bike there, I would try to bring both my bikes from Germany. The price for 2 days rental in Whistler is almost as much as I pay for the shipping fee (both way) from Germany to BC and then I would have a bike that has already my setup. Smile

Currently I think I prefer to bring the Enduros and some spare parts for bike park usage (like DH tires, flat pedals, maybe 180mm fork upgrade, DH brakes, etc..). But I still have to discuss with my friend about it. Wink

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 23:43 Quote
Do you know if there are usually some local shops or other companies that offer shuttles at the popular MTB locations around BC? Or would we have to organize the shuttles ourselves? Even if we bring our Enduros, we surely also would like to shuttle (in addition to riding up ourselves) just to increase our trail experience, cause we don't have the fitness to ride up 1000-2000 HM every day for 3 weeks. Big Grin

These guys do tours.

https://www.endlessbiking.com/tours/

I would contact some shops, lots have group rides or people who could take you out for a day, Heck I would PM me if you want.

Maybe post about it on http://nsmb.com/ too.

Check out the meetup groups too. https://www.meetup.com/

I have been on a few meet up rides.

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 0:20 Quote
Thanks!
I will look into all of that when I will do the detailed planing of the trip!

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 13:07 Quote
If it's your one big trip to BC, I would pay the cost to ship the DH bike straight to Whistler to get the most out of the Whistler Bike Park and then use your enduros for everything else. I would just ship the DH bike back home when you leave Whistler rather than carting them both around the rest of the trip.

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 21:58 Quote
gramboh wrote:
If it's your one big trip to BC, I would pay the cost to ship the DH bike straight to Whistler to get the most out of the Whistler Bike Park and then use your enduros for everything else. I would just ship the DH bike back home when you leave Whistler rather than carting them both around the rest of the trip.

First I thought: Brilliant idea!
Now, after a short inquiry, I think it could bear some risks regarding costs.
Prices vary a lot. Sending it from Germany to Canada costs from ~100 € up to more than 1000 €. (Depending on parcel service)
Shipping from Canada is starting at ~250 $ and I can't even enter the large parcel dimensions I would need.
And you might also have problems with the customs.
A lot of surprises you might face with such a plan, but I will still keep that in mind!
It might work out with a good organisation.

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 13:54 Quote
It may be a bit cheaper to ship than to rent but when you ship your bike, youre risking it gets lost, damaged, etc...

Id rent in Whistler if you want to do that. Might cost you a bit more but its risk free - and you might find out after trying your Enduro at WBP that it works well there.

Id also be worried that one of your bikes would get stolen while you're out on the other.

Just something to think about. Enjoy it out here regardless!

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 23:03 Quote
Just to keep you updated about our decision.
We talked the last weekend and the decision is made.
We will take only our Enduros and will upgrade them with a 180mm fork and some other minor improvements for bikepark usage. Smile

Posted: Jul 23, 2018 at 7:22 Quote
Out of interest... did you regret your decision ?

I am going in September and am facing the same dilema...

Choice is between a YT Capra or my DH bike Canyon FRX...

Love both bikes...

Posted: Jul 23, 2018 at 11:19 Quote
DonVino wrote:
Out of interest... did you regret your decision ?

I am going in September and am facing the same dilema...

Choice is between a YT Capra or my DH bike Canyon FRX...

Love both bikes...

Really depends on where you are going to ride and what trails you are going ride.
If your going to hammer nothing but lift access parks than take the dh bike. But most enduro bikes are capable to ride the park too.
Myself I haven’t rode my dh bike in almost 2 years, I just ride my enduro everywhere now.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009757
Mobile Version of Website